collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What caliber to buy???  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Flipper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
What caliber to buy???
« on: February 08, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
Haven't spent a lot of time in the Gun and Ammo section of this sight so I apologize if this question has been asked...

I know a couple of different guys who are looking buy new rifles.  I'm looking for an opinion or two about what caliber to suggest.  I use a 300WM, however I'm sure there are pros/cons as I have never really been into the details too much.  The hunting to be done is mostly open country deer hunting and some elk hunting?

Thanks A lot.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:38:30 AM by Flipper »

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
Re: What caliber to buy???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »
Too many questions that need answers.  No matter what I would recommend a SS synthetic stocked rifle with a upper end scope.  Now the other questions that quickly come to mind.  Some questions are closely related to others but just some quick brain storming.

How much experience shooting do you have?
Do you reload?
How much do you want to spend?
Whats your max range in a hunting situation?
What game are you going to hunt?
Do you mind packing a heavier rifle?
How much are you going to shoot for practice rounds?
How much can you afford for ammo to cover practice and hunting?
Is this going to be the start of many more rifles or a single rifle to last a lifetime?
etc.
etc.
etc.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:29:13 PM »
Oops did not read your first post fully.  Ok here we go again.  Unless your a gun nut that caliber is perfect period and dang hard to beat.  Now if some of the previous questions cause you to wonder then we can nit pik things.  300WM kills anything, ammo available every place dang tough to beat.

Offline Flipper

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 06:42:38 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I had thought to suggest the 300WM but was not sure about the size for elk?  I have a Tikka SS Synthetic and it is nice and light.  Are the Brownings worth the extra cost?

Thanks again.

Offline NORRISKI2

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
I certainly agree with dbllunger a 300WM will do everything you want, it is very versatile and there is a multitude of good relatively inexpensive factory ammo available.  In addition, I would agree that SS synthetic is the way to go.  I own a Tikka T3 lite SS synthetic 300WSM and it is a great rifle for the price.  I had accuracy work done on it from my gunsmith (trigger, bedding, recoil pad, mercury reducer, etc.) but it certainly shot well out of the box and it is light and durable.  Depending on how much they want to spend there are several good rifles out there.  I personally would stick with the following make/model: Remington 700, Tikka T3 Lite, Howa 1500, Sako 85 finnlight, and Weatherby Vanguard.  I have some experience with all the above and have had good results.  As far as Browning is concerned they certainly make a nice rifle, but I don't care for them much given the price.  The A-bolt is a nice rifle but I think you can get equal or at least comparable quality for less money.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
My suggestion would be:

270 Winchester, 308 Winchester, or 30/06....not necessarily in that order.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »
i love my 30.06 a-bolt. after being concerned with the '06's accuracy at longer ranges +/- 300 yards, which is not really longer ranges for some...and spending a bunch of time shooting it with different bullets(all factory) i found a bullet it likes a lot and shoot it confidently out to 300 now without the magnum recoil.
i think it's a great all around caliber and one you can't go wrong with, especially if you won't be owning 27 different rifles in 27 different calibers...
that said, i don't think you can go wrong with anyhting in a 30 caliber or thereabouts. i really like the 7mm mag too.
the other thing to consider which may or may not be a factor is the cost of ammo and the availability...300wm is gonna cost more and may not be available everywhere.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 10:46:41 AM »
If you have a 30/06 you will never need another rifle. The availability of low priced ammo is also a great benefit. Contrary to popular opinion, it can be a great long range cartridge, and by long range I mean up to 400 yards. To me 400 yards is a very, very long shot, and most people have no business shooting any farther than that no matter what cartridge they are shooting.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 11:11:48 AM by bobcat »

Offline NORRISKI2

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 10:51:19 AM »
Nice call bobcat, I love all three.  What do you think about the 270 / 308 for elk hunting?  Even though I own a couple mag calibers I don't necessarily believe the mag hype is all it is cracked up to be.  I have a 308 that I love to shoot, but I don't use it for elk hunting.  Mainly, because I have seen several elk struck well with the likes of a 7mm RM and 300WM and they just kept on moving.  The facts are elk are just big tough animals.  I suppose it is maybe a whole different discussion about shop placement, shooting skill, bullet choice, etc.... but I would be interested in your view and in particular if you have ever killed an elk with a 308.  It is funny if you think about it because there has been who knows how many elk harvested long before the creation of the 3000fps ++++ mega mag calibers.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:22:08 AM »
I have killed both deer and elk with my 270, but have never hunted with a 308. I have a 30/06 also but have only shot a bear with it, but I have handloaded and shot many rounds out of my dad's 30/06, and he has killed many elk and moose with it. A 308 is only about 100 feet per second behind the 30/06, and I guarantee no elk will ever know the difference between the two. The 308 also has the advantage of slightly less recoil. Nowadays with all the premium quality bullets available, these non-magnum rounds are even more competitive with the big, shoulder-pounding 300 and 338 magnums than they used to be. Load up a 150 grain Barnes in a 308 and you've got an elk killing machine, good out to at least 350 yards.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:56:10 PM by bobcat »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:26:43 AM »
I'm with you Jackelope, I always go back to my 7mm. Been reading up on that 7mm WSM, looks like my next purchase.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline NORRISKI2

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 11:30:33 AM »
Thanks for the response bobcat, good info.

Offline NORRISKI2

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 11:48:20 AM »
Go for it hutnphool!!  I have both a 7mm WSM and 300 WSM and I'm kicking around the idea of having a custom 270 WSM built from scratch to complete the trifecta.  I don't know why, I guess because I can and I dig hunting rifles.  The 7mm WSM is a great round for .284 fans.  I'm not a handloader, but plan on getting into soon, with that said if you choose to believe the factory ballistic data the 7mm WSM is a good upgrade to the 7mm RM.  Don't get me wrong I shot a 7mm RM for years and loved it but I just had to have the new fancy stuff you know. :chuckle: My 7mm WSM is a stock Howa 1500 with some accuracy work (trigger, MB, sims recoil pad, bedding, etc.) after many trips to the range and several different boxes of ammo the rifle just seemed to love the new Federal Fusion 150gr.  Shoots .75" to 1" groups all day long. 

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 01:51:35 PM »
Now the fun stuff begins.  Also understand I like guns a lot, and any excuse to buy a new one I use.  I personally love the Browning A-Bolt, and it would be my first choice.  The Browning trigger is not as good or as easily adjustable as the Remington or Savage including the older Savage trigger.  Other the Browning it would be Remington then Savage and no reason to consider the others IMO.  The others are great guns so you won't go wrong.  If I was looking at saving a dollar then it would be a Savage without a second thought.   Again you have to answer the other questions about one gun or possibly a new gun in the future.  Factory guns are very accurate if reloaded for and some can be accurate with factory ammo.  Custom guns are nice, but I don't know if they are worth the cost for a hunting rifle.
     I like 308 and larger bullets, but the best elk killing round I have ever seen is a 160/7mm Partition at 3050fps.  I'm also just guessing and using a max range of 400yds for the shot. 
     Just about any center fire round will kill a deer, so any round based on a 308 case with a 257 bullet or larger will work for that perfectly.  Preferably a heavier for caliber bullet.  If you want more then great but really not needed for deer.  When you start adding in elk personally I think you need to up the power factor, and or limit your shots to high percentage only.  The 308 based rounds are still good, but you need to increase diameter to at least 284 with a heavy bullet. 
     06 based rounds are even better but again heavier for caliber for elk and at least mid-weight for deer.  If I was forced to have one rifle for the rest of my life it would be a 30-06 SS w/synthetic stock.  No question at all. 
     Magnums again to each his own and there is plenty of power.  Personally I would not go with anything less then 284 again with mid weight for deer and heavier for caliber for elk.  What else is there other then just the fun "Super Rounds" that really are not needed.
     Super rounds for me are the RUM's, 378 based Weatherby's, STW's, Lazzaroni (sp), etc..  These things are just amazing, but most can not handle the recoil with out a muzzle brake.  More power by multiples then needed, but man they are fun to shoot.  (My current elk rifle is a custom built 300RUM, no brake, shooting 180's at 3400fps.  Notice that pretty much goes against everything I just said.  I like guns and more power is better, but the above info is for the average guy.  Oh yeah, I replaced my 7mmSTW with the RUM, and now I am really liking the 338RUM.)  These rounds are crazy expensive, and to really see the benefit these need to be reloaded for. 

I don't know if that helped, but you just need to pick one.  Again ask yourself some questions, try a few first, then buy the one you want. 

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 02:42:59 PM »
I have been using a .300 Win mag for the last 4 years and love it. It has a wide variety of good ammo over the counter too. I am looking into a 7mm though in the near future.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]