collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best duck hunting auto-loader for the money?  (Read 4521 times)

Offline NORRISKI2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Best duck hunting auto-loader for the money?
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:23 AM »
I consider myself a gun nut when it comes to rifles or maybe just a nut who knows, but when it comes to shotguns I'm not that educated.  My intent is to do mostly duck hunting and maybe some upland bird hunting.  My wife thinks my budget is $300-$500, but If you ask me I'm looking to spend between $1,000-$1,500 on a semiautomatic shotgun. :chuckle:  I have researched three shotguns so far, which include: Berreta Extrema 2, Winchester SX3, and Benelli Super Black Eagle.  Any thoughts, pros, cons, etc.

Thanks.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
Re: Best duck hunting auto-loader for the money?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:53:17 PM »
Of those three Benelli no question.  Super reliable, light, and operating system is very simple. 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:41:27 PM »
Just picked up a Mossberg 935 semi auto today, $525.00

3 1/2 mag, overbored, 3 chokes, advanced recoil compensated (everyone says this...) MOBU finish. (Non ported, yay! )Plan to use for Duck/Goose, and maybe Turkey this spring.

Not the lightest, not the cheapest. Twas a good compromise IMHO and fit the budget. Big seller his year, been trying to get one for a while...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:05 PM »
we have put a bunch of rounds(1000's) through a couple of al391's and had nothing but good results from them. they are not xtremas and we are not duck hunting, but they are no doubt reliable and bombproof.
i don't have any experience with the SBE,  but undoubtedly a good gun.
this is a chevy vs. ford vs. dodge discussion i think, you won't go wrong with either of them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:02:45 PM »
I've experienced that some semi autos have a hard time with light loads (less than 1 1/8 for example) during cycling. I believe it has to do with how tight the springs are made for these guns and some might even outright declare that they don't work below a certain threshold. The thing that I don't find much of a problem with is that I don't use loads that light. But if you shoot a lot of these loads it pays to read up and see if other users have had any problems with them and your particular shotgun of interest.

I'd recommend reading about topics on http://www.shotgunworld.com/

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:08:31 PM »
i have a cheapo 3" gun that will not cycle light loads at all. it will cycle 2 3/4" sporting/hotshot 1500 fps loads , but nothing less than that.

most of the guns in the $1k range will cycle any shells clean in my experience.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ray

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:10:20 PM »
most of the guns in the $1k range will cycle any shells clean in my experience.

That has been my experience as well. I also believe 3 1/2 inch is not necessary for duck hunting... But I would get one anyway because as soon as you see a goose fly by you will want to shoot it.  :chuckle: :hello: I have to remember that people were drilling geese with smaller sized shells for years though..

Offline NORRISKI2

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2008, 11:21:08 AM »
Thanks for all the input it definitely helps and gives me some more things to research before I pull the trigger on a purchase. 

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 01:32:39 PM »
Just got back from trying out the new Mossberg, worked awesome. Cant wait for birds to shoot!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal