collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The weather!?  (Read 5454 times)

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
The weather!?
« on: March 28, 2010, 01:26:44 PM »
 Ive been looking at the weather for the Northeast and its not looking good. Lots of rain and colder weather is going to be pushing through almost till opener.
Im wondering how this is going to effect the birds? Or even the eggs they have already started to lay? I know of one nesting site, and last week she already had 7 eggs laid. Hopefully it doesnt effect our hunting or the birds!
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Tom Tamer

• Longhunter
  • Location: Black Diamond, Wa...or the Pine ridges of the Cascades
Re: The weather!?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 03:46:23 PM »
I think thing's will be alright, I've been worrying about what these last couple hard winters would do, and the two times I've been able to scout I've seen a lot of Jakes and jennies, so that tells me last year with all the snow they still got out a good hatch. They did look a little younger than usual....showing a later hatch but there were a lot of yearling turkeys. So with  little milder winter I don't think we'll be too bad off. :twocents:
Luv 2 Hunt no matter the weapon
Mathews outback,easton axis,G5 montecs, Mod 70 7MM rem mag, T/C Black Diamond 50 cal...
Wild turkey addict( bird that is)
Everything is best in moderation....even moderation

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
In the Seattle Times today, Chewelah and Colville are specifically mentioned as places where the turkeys have come roaring back. There are turkeys everywhere according to the article.
Also, Haller Creek and Arden had the highest turkey counts. If you are in those areas, you will have lots of company.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:09:50 PM by HoofsandWings »
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 04:03:58 PM »
Ive been looking at the weather for the Northeast and its not looking good. Lots of rain and colder weather is going to be pushing through almost till opener.
Im wondering how this is going to effect the birds? Or even the eggs they have already started to lay? I know of one nesting site, and last week she already had 7 eggs laid. Hopefully it doesnt effect our hunting or the birds!

Was the nesting site on the westside or eastside?
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 04:04:53 PM »
In the Seattle Times today, Chewelah and Colville are specifically mentioned as places where the turkeys have come roaring back. There are turkeys everywhere according to the article.

That's awesome... :'(
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 06:06:18 PM »

Was the nesting site on the westside or eastside?

Eastside, just north of Colville.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:09:19 PM »
That is pretty early for a hen..she would have a full clutch by now and if successful..poults by end of April.

Born to Yelp!

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »
That is pretty early for a hen..she would have a full clutch by now and if successful..poults by end of April.

Im hoping see hasnt started incubating them yet. Hopefully she will let them sit for a bit longer, then start her incubation stage. It would really suck if the weather gets to eggs spoiled by the weather.

My buddies Easterns "on the wetside"  have also started laying. One of his hens is sitting on 6 right now.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 06:44:30 PM »
Just some facts for you guys out there...got it off another site..gives a good account for the mating, laying process...The other thing I remember is most eggs are laid an hour or two later than the eggs the day before..that way the chicks all come off in a 24 hour period and an hour apart..I read that somewhere. Environmental conditions like wet weather can affect chick survival..but most chicks can fly up into a roost soon after being hatched..which keep them off  of the ground.  What I notice up in NE Washington is that the snowberry (buckbrush) starts to leaf out I notice more nesting hens..in other words there is more security and hiding cover.  Read pasted info below...(From Wild Turkey Zone)

Once the mating season is fully underway, hens seek out nesting areas to lay eggs. Laying generally begins in late March to early April through most of the country. Turkeys usually nest in areas (old fields, cutovers, pine forests, stream edges) with a well-developed under story that provides some bushy/vine concealment. One egg is laid daily until a clutch averaging 9 to 11 eggs is completed. Incubation takes 28 days, and all poults hatch within a 24-hour period. Depending on weather, the brood hen and poults leave the nest within 24 hours of hatching. Peak hatching period is from about May 20 to June 10. If the first nest is destroyed, some hens attempt a second nest. Hens that have to re-nest lay fewer eggs.

Generally, less than half of all nesting attempts are successful. The fact that wild turkeys nest on the ground and require a total of 6 weeks to lay and incubate eggs makes hens and their nests vulnerable to predation and human disturbance (destroying nests by burning, mowing, and discing). Common predators of turkey eggs include raccoons, skunks, opossums, crows, and snakes. Mortality rates of poults generally range from 70 to 80 percent or higher, especially during their first 2 weeks of life, when they are unable to fly and roost under the hen on the ground.

Poult predators include mammals of which raccoon and bobcats cause the greatest loss. Foxes and coyotes are also important predators. Birds caused 13 percent and reptiles were responsible for 4 percent of the loss. Feral dogs and cats also will prey on hens/eggs when the opportunity arises. Fortunately, turkeys have a high reproductive potential, and one good hatch can significantly increase populations and offset previous poor hatches.

Born to Yelp!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2010, 07:08:35 PM »
One other odd fact about turkeys is that they lead the pack in time between a breeding and how long they can lay fertilized eggs.  This goes back to Animal Science Repro 350 that was an odd fact they threw out there, but I believe it was 72 days after a breeding she can still lay fertilized eggs.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 07:19:08 PM »
One other odd fact about turkeys is that they lead the pack in time between a breeding and how long they can lay fertilized eggs.  This goes back to Animal Science Repro 350 that was an odd fact they threw out there, but I believe it was 72 days after a breeding she can still lay fertilized eggs.

True..A hen can be bred once and still fertilize eggs months later.

Born to Yelp!

Offline Dustin07

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »
also, baby turkeys are cute.

Baby turkeys are noisy!

good thing they get ugly later.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 11:29:17 AM »
These nests that are being observed by you and your friend, are these wild birds and sites or captive birds?  If captive birds that could make a difference.

I drove around this morning in lower Stevens county. The large flock I had been seeing disappeared when the farmer started tilling his land. I have not heard a gobble  yet.  I finally found a different large flock, on posted land today.  From the road they gave no responce to my calling.  I did see a couple birds fanned out, but they do that year around. I then took a 3 mile walk looking and listening.  I also did some box calling.  I never saw a track, dropping or heard a thing. In the area where I was at, I don't think they have broke up from winter flocks at all. The area I walked, I have never walked with out seeing sign or hearing birds.

Our weather in NE is cooler and rainier than it has been.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 11:50:40 AM »
You're not using turkey calls and educating the birds prior to the season are you ?  That's detrimental to your success during the season ...   :bash:

Offline NWTFhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 11:51:04 AM »
I went out this past weekend in Goldendale, never heard or saw a single bird.  Very unusual for the area I was in.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]