collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Teaching "Heel"  (Read 3776 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Teaching "Heel"
« on: March 29, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »
What do you guys think is the best way to teach heel? The three books I have all teach it differently and I can't decide how to approach it. This is the next "big" element I am going to cover with Chukar.

My initial thought is that using an actual lead is the best tool as opposed to a collar/leash set-up. What about the need for a choker or other "stimulating" device?

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: Teaching "Heel"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »
I used a leash and if the dog got a step ahead of me they got a good yank..

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 03:14:48 PM »

This has worked with my dogs. Just give a yank and yell "Heel",  they wil get the picture.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
I'm no expert but I would think that you'd do like Rasbo and gasman suggest and then once the dog masters the on leash heel, then you could move to off-lease with a shock collar........
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Copperwood

• Hunter
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/Copperwood.kennelsWA/
    • Copperwood Kennels
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 03:34:25 PM »

This has worked with my dogs. Just give a yank and yell "Heel",  they wil get the picture.

I too did the same thing, but the key is consistancy. Everytime the dog is walking whether on lease or off, it has to be drilled in the dogs head that walking right next to you is the only way he will not get in trouble. I never have to put my dog on a lease anymore because he never leaves my side. Lots of practice though. Just my  :twocents:
Good luck
Copperwood Kennels
Lone Duck Outfittes Prostaff
Hevi-Shot Prostaff

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 04:18:02 PM »
I did all of the above and rewarded with treats when he did what he was supposed to do...he's pretty good with heeling and would be a lot better with a more consistent trainer.  :bash: . consistency is the key.

1 swift and sharp pop with the leash if he gets 1 step ahead of you.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bonneylakebowman

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:31 AM »
I used a leash with my dog and a choke collar.  I had her heal to my left side, one thing I was told was what ever side you have the dog heal on you always take your first step with that foot.  When the dog got behind me I would turn to the right and do a big circle and do sharp pops on the leash untill she caught up. Once she did I would start walking straight.  If she got infront of me I would turn to the left and do a big circle and kick my leg out infront of the dog.  It should be unplesant for the dog but not hurt her.  It worked really well for me. She picked it up in about a week.

Offline luvtohnt

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
I think it would depend on the breed. For my labs I did the popping of the leash and she turned out fine, however with my new puppy I started with a short leash that would not allow her to go father in front of me then I wanted. We went on about 4 or 5 walks this way and every 10 steps or so I would repeat heel. Then I tried her off of the leash and with some minimal corrections she was ready to go. So the next step was to make her sit when I stopped walking, and now we walk to the mailbox every day and practice (that is the consistency part) and she is awesome walks next to me and if I stop she sits. I haven't added the distractions yet but soon enough. I personally think labs can pick up on things with positive reinforcement but some others like my buddies GSP need to be trained by correction. It probably has something to do with the hyperness. :twocents:

Brandon

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 01:52:31 PM »
Thanks for all of the advice, I will keep you all posted in my main "Chukar" thread.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:06:09 PM »
I would also teach her to heal on the opposite side you carry your gun on if she's a gun dog. With a name like Chukar I assume she is.
 If you're right handed heel her on the left and viceeversee.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline gasman

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »
I would also teach her to heal on the opposite side you carry your gun on if she's a gun dog. With a name like Chukar I assume she is.
 If you're right handed heel her on the left and viceeversee.

This is what i was taught also.

You do not want your dog under your gun if you fire off a round with him by your side.

The personal protection part of it also likes to have the dog on the left. If you are walking down the road with the dog on your left it put the dog between you and any perspective attacker.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline littlemac

• Scout
  • Life Member NRA, Life RMEF, Life SCI
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »
I used a leash with my dog and a choke collar.  I had her heal to my left side, one thing I was told was what ever side you have the dog heal on you always take your first step with that foot.  When the dog got behind me I would turn to the right and do a big circle and do sharp pops on the leash untill she caught up. Once she did I would start walking straight.  If she got infront of me I would turn to the left and do a big circle and kick my leg out infront of the dog.  It should be unplesant for the dog but not hurt her.  It worked really well for me. She picked it up in about a week.

A trainer I worked with used this method on me and the dog and it worked quickly.  The only variation was that with the command "heal" and the pop of the leash, we were told to always make an immediate circle to the side the dog is being taught to heal on, effectively pushing the dog on the shoulder with your leg to force the turn.

It didn't take long before he was tired of getting herded with the turn everytime he got ahead of me and once that happened he heals on command easily.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor even the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

-- Charles Darwin

Offline Buschingc

• Longhunter
  • Go Big or Go Home...
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:01:35 AM »
I'm teaching my 8 month old pointing lab heel and woo right now. It's been about one week so far. I'm using a normal leash with a pinch collar (the one with the metal spikes). It only took him about two good jerks for him to realize what's going on. If he gets out to far in front of me, I turn around and jerk. If he gets to close to my left leg, I turn into him. It only takes a couple soft knees for him to stay off my leg. When I stop, I say woo and I'm able to walk around him and he'll stay. The woo is for pointing later in the training. After just one week of about 15 mins per day, I'm now able to throw a distraction and he'll stay and wait for me to release him. Good luck with ur dog! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal