collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk will be gone in Idaho by 2012  (Read 104087 times)

Offline Rockholm66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Rockholm66?feature=mhw5
Elk will be gone in Idaho by 2012
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »
Here is some conservative numbers for you to try to wrap your mind around...

Keep in mind that a healthy elk population grows by 10% on an average year when under stress from wolves or other large scale pressures....

Wolve numbers on the other hand have proven to grow by 25% annually despite efforts to control their population.

That said-- In 2008 Idaho's elk population was estimated at around 110,000. While the wolf population was approaching 1000-- a very conservative number.

SO: 110,000 x 10% growth gives us 121,000 elk... and 1000 wolves x 25% growth=1250 wolves

However each wolf eats 2 elk per month so thats 24 elk per year per wolf.
So 24 elk x 1250 wolves= 30,000 elk killed that year by wolves alone.
so 121,000 elk - 30,000 killed by wolves leaves 91,000 elk in 2009

that year the elk again grow by 10% and the wolves by 25% = 100,000 elk & 1563 wolves
but those wolves also eat 2 elk per month only leaving 62,112 elk in 2010

repeat those numbers and the wolves grow to 1953 in 2011 eating 46,872 elk that year leaving total of 15,240 elk after the elks 10% growth...

so then in 2012 the wolves grow to 2441 and need to eat 58,584 elk to survive.... but there are only 15,240 elk left to eat.... so then what happens???

Disease? Starvation? unpredictable behaviors-- like the poor teacher that was just hunted down and killed by wolves up north?????

YOU DO THE MATH!!!!

The reason this happened, was because of the wolf cult, and environmental organizations using false science.

Why do you love wolves
Rock

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Elk will be gone in Idaho by 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 03:21:26 PM »
Not a good trend.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »
Well by then it won't matter because the world is supposed to end in 2012.  LMAO.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:18 PM »
Will the wolves be covered under Obamacare?  Maybe the death panels can get to them first.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:35:46 PM »
Absolutely sickening.  As I have said several times before, with all the wildlife success stories in the past 30 years, we did not need this one.  In years to come this could impact hunting beyond what we imagine now.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Hunterman

• Y.A.R. PRO FISHING TEAM MEMBER #1 MASTER BAITER
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »
Dang Michelle you beat me to the 2012 ending  :yike: :chuckle:

Hunterman(Tony)
SOMR PEOPLE HAVE TO WAIT THEIR WHOLE LIFE TO MEET THEIR HUNTING BUDDY. I RAISED MINE.

Offline Shootmoore

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 04:41:45 PM »
Wonder what the 2010 Yellowstone elk count will be.  I heard the yellowstone wolf count dropped to 105 due to killing each other off.  My guess the packs will further kill each other off as the elk herd drops.  Of course the pro wolf's will claim that this will be a reason to put them back on the ESA.

From 20,000 to 6,000 in 14 years, man there sure was a lot of old and sick elk in that herd.  Its not only the wolf, cougar and bear kills on the elk, its the constant pressure dropping calf recruitment.  I wonder at what point people wake up and say holy crap, no wonder our forefathers wiped out the wolves.  Probably when it is to late, and we have to put the elk and deer on the ESA.

Shootmoore

Tony 270WSM

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:17 PM »
I bet that is exactly what the anti's want. Too few elk, not allowed to hunt them. Deer to follow.

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
I bet that is exactly what the anti's want. Too few elk, not allowed to hunt them. Deer to follow.

Bingo........you got it.  Couple that with Indian hunting rights and where do you think hunters fit into the equation....they don't.  You won't be able to justify hunting as a means to harvest the surplus....there will be no surplus. :twocents:
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:37 PM »
Good to see you on here rockholm, welcome to the site.  :tup:

Some of the folks on this forum need to hear what you have seen happens with wolves.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »
Here's a very informative site based in Montana:  http://www.lobowatch.com

Here's a very informative site based in Idaho:  http://www.saveelk.com
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
Rockholm66 and his numbers do not lie. I and several other folks here in the Methow Valley know that the lack of deer is not from a bad winter a few years ago. Wolves and and cougars have put the hurt on the deer herds, here and the surrounding Okanogan County. In a few years Washington will see a reduction throughout if the wolves are not stopped.Good Job, Rockholm66, Welcome to W-H

Offline Rockholm66

• Tracker
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Rockholm66?feature=mhw5
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

I guess I need to explain what it is I do. I have been fighting for hunting right's, and battling the anti hunting groups for year's. I found a way to smack them across the head, and You Tube was the tool to do it. I have traveled all across the Western states, and heard, and seen first hand what is happening to our game. I try to use the power of video to get that message out. If you all would make a You Tube account, and from time to time throw a little support, it would be greatly appreciated. I think this site will take up a considerable amount of my time, and I look forward to getting to know you all. If you have a wolf sighting, or have a wolf kill story, let me know. I travel allot to get these stories, and then I put it out to counter the biased media.
Rock

Offline stout

• Site Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »
Not that I am pro wolf in any way, but I believe I see a mistake you have made in your post, providing some misleading information.  From this sentence:

Keep in mind that a healthy elk population grows by 10% on an average year when under stress from wolves or other large scale pressures....

What that sentence tells me is that even after the predatation of wolves the elk herd still grows, so by subtracting out the number of elk per wolf after that 10% growth in the herd number, you are in fact subtracting out the number of elk killed by wolves twice.  Once with the only 10% growth instead of a higher percentage without wolf kills, and again after the fact by subtracting the number of elk per wolf.

I have not in any way checked your statistics or numbers and am only looking at how you applied the numbers based on the information you provided, and I do believe that the wolves are very detrimental to future hunting endeavors.  I just want to make sure information like this is presented properly and without flaws.  A simple flaw can ruin a whole subject's basis and therefore credibility.

Now maybe I am reading this wrong, and I also believe a lot of other factors are not mentioned or at the very least spelled out.

-Stout

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 11:55:16 AM »
One of the factors that really sticks out is the underestimation of wolves by those in charge. For example the Okanogan county and it's five wolves. :bash: :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal