collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk will be gone in Idaho by 2012  (Read 104073 times)

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
Re: Elk will be gone in Idaho by 2012
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
Wolves due need to be controlled like any other game species.  This is not the same land and wilderness that it was 300 years ago.  These left wing nutjobs need to understand that.  I for one have no problems with dropping a wolf that comes to my foxnpro.
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »
Whats wrong with saying 5? With the WDFW's margin of error being +/- 300% I think there could be as many as 20 or more!! :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
idaho, montana, oregon, and WASHINGTON will all fall along the same road we as hunters and farmers and ranchers got rid of the wolf for a good reason and with all the damage being done i will not be suprised to see the game animals numbers drop so far that we will not even be able to hunt them due to them being protected :twocents:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline bowtech721

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 03:30:27 PM »
I bet that is exactly what the anti's want. Too few elk, not allowed to hunt them. Deer to follow.

Bingo........you got it.  Couple that with Indian hunting rights and where do you think hunters fit into the equation....they don't.  You won't be able to justify hunting as a means to harvest the surplus....there will be no surplus. :twocents:
That makes total sense. I havent really thought about it that way but really its the only explanation. Definatly no good  :(

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »
I bet that is exactly what the anti's want. Too few elk, not allowed to hunt them. Deer to follow.

Bingo........you got it.  Couple that with Indian hunting rights and where do you think hunters fit into the equation....they don't.  You won't be able to justify hunting as a means to harvest the surplus....there will be no surplus. :twocents:
That makes total sense. I havent really thought about it that way but really its the only explanation. Definatly no good  :(

SSS

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:02 AM »
I just came across this 5 year old thread, and find it a bit humorous.

The prediction is that there will be no elk left in Idaho by 2012.

It's now 2015... are there any elk in Idaho?    :chuckle:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 03:36:07 AM »
 :chuckle:

Offline DIYARCHERYJUNKIE

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27:06 AM »

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 04:53:23 AM »

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 04:56:17 AM »
Rockholm66 and his numbers do not lie.

hah hah, And yet here we are in 2015 and the elk hunting in Idaho still goes on.  He must have forgotten to carry the 3, and then divide by the square root of the number of toes in the wolf population. (don't forget a few of them have lost a couple toes getting them pinched in traps)

Still waiting for that big Hydatid epidemic too. Biggest failure since Y2K.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 05:02:38 AM »
Not that I am pro wolf in any way, but I believe I see a mistake you have made in your post, providing some misleading information.  From this sentence:

Keep in mind that a healthy elk population grows by 10% on an average year when under stress from wolves or other large scale pressures....

What that sentence tells me is that even after the predatation of wolves the elk herd still grows, so by subtracting out the number of elk per wolf after that 10% growth in the herd number, you are in fact subtracting out the number of elk killed by wolves twice.  Once with the only 10% growth instead of a higher percentage without wolf kills, and again after the fact by subtracting the number of elk per wolf.

I have not in any way checked your statistics or numbers and am only looking at how you applied the numbers based on the information you provided, and I do believe that the wolves are very detrimental to future hunting endeavors.  I just want to make sure information like this is presented properly and without flaws.  A simple flaw can ruin a whole subject's basis and therefore credibility.

Now maybe I am reading this wrong, and I also believe a lot of other factors are not mentioned or at the very least spelled out.

-Stout

Well, he did leave out the 15,000 or so elk killed by hunters each year and however many bears and cats take too.  Then a few calves probably get taken out by coyotes. Those darned elk should have been gone by mid 2011 at the latest. They must be moving back into Idaho from Colorado or some other wolf free State, faster than the wolves can eat them.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »
 :stirthepot:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »
Rockholm66 and his numbers do not lie.
:chuckle:  :chuckle:

Huh...so rockholm and wolfbait predicted no elk by 2012 in Idaho...who could ever imagine those 2 could be so wrong?  :hello:

Thanks bobcat...this is the funniest thing I've seen all week. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:19 PM »
You joke and yet you still don't want them on your side of the state.

Classy.

Offline ipkus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »
You would be incorrect, I'm not mad.

I think it's hypocritical for someone to joke about wolve impacts, exaggerated or not, in one breath but be vehemently against living amongst them in the next.

The wolves are here in the numbers that they are, and still unmanaged, because of a wolf plan that was pushed for and adopted according to the wishes of the population base west of the crest.  Those of you that wanted them should have them.  If you can't follow that logic, I'm not sure what else is easier to understand?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal