Since Spring bear is under way, here are the rules for the 3nd Annual Hunt-WA Head & Horn Competition. I'm still hoping that some of our site sponsers will pony up with some token prizes for 2nd and 3rd places. There were no rule changes from last year.
Congratulations to last years winners, Track-er (Horn Champion) and Jake T (Predator Champion).
1) All deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, cougar, and legal bear species qualify.
2) The animal must be legally harvested in Washington State during the contest year.
3) The hunter must have a current WDFW hunting license and the tag used on the animal must have been purchased from the WDFW.
4) The hunter must submit an approved story of the hunt, picture of the animal/horns, and claimed score on hunting-washington.com
5) The official B & C or P & Y scoring rules will be used.
6) The score that compares highest in percentage to the state record for that species, horn type (typical vs non-typical) and weapon wins. For example, a modern firearm typical mule deer will be compared to the state record modern firearm typical mule deer and an archery non-typical whitetail will be compared to the record archery non-typical whitetail. Similar for bear and cougar skulls. There will be three different weapon categories; modern firearm, muzzleloader, and archery. Washington Big Game Records will be used as the state records.
7) Prizes: Perpetual (or traveling) trophies will be awarded to the winners in the following two categories: Horns (deer, elk, moose, goat, & sheep) and predator (bear & cougar). Trophies will be retrieved by one of the rules committee members approximately one week from the next years entry deadline for each category, this will be around Christmas for the horn trophy and the first week of March for the predator trophy. Hopefully we can get a few gifts of nominal value donated by some of our sponsors this year.
The hunter must be a hunting-washington.com member by Sept. 1 of the contest year for the horn competition. Hunters entering bear or cougar must be members prior to the season which it was harvested.
9) The rules committee has the right to challenge any and all claimed scores. If there is no clear winner, the top entries will be required to get an official score.
10) In the event that a rules committee member is in running for an award, that member will not be involved in declaring the winner.
11) Seasons will follow the WDFW hunting seasons, Sept 1 to Dec 31 (2010) for the horns competition and spring bear through end of Cat season in March 2011 for the head competition.
12) ) An entry must include a photo of the animal, claimed score, general location of the kill, and weapon used. If either a Blacktail Deer or Roosevelt Elk are being entered, the location must be specific enough to distinguish what species/sub species of Deer or Elk it is.Enter horn competition animals here:http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,56937.0.htmlEnter head competition animals here:http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,51092.0.html
Good luck to all!!!