collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Legal gun for turkey?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Legal gun for turkey?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 10:46:51 AM »
As long as you do not have the .22 ammo on you, you are legal.
 :twocents:

What about having 22 shells in your pocket but not in the gun? That should be ok as far as I'm concerned. If the gun is not loaded, you aren't hunting.

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:12 AM »
I don't suspect any of the above opinions are going to have much credibility in front of a judge.  Officer in the field is possibly going to cite you and let the "system" work it out.  Easiest thing to do is call wdwf and if someone tells you it's legal write down their name and when you spoke to them so that you could give a field officer the info..  Right now some of the counties are financially strapped and looking for ways to make money and might fine you for the money involved.  (I'm hearing rumors of speeding tickets being given in Eastern Wa.  at 4-5 miles over the limit these days for that very reason)   

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:21:18 AM »
That might work, but you could encounter an enforcement officer that doesn't agree with the officer that gave you the information that said it is legal.  The law is clear: you cannot hunt turkeys with a .22.  What is not clear is whether or not you are "hunting", and that is a judgment call.

I have had officers give two opposite interpretations of the same law.  My example earlier of the four cartridge shotgun: some officers told me they would cite, some told me they would not.

No matter what you have written down, an officer in the field may cite you.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:03 AM »
It all depends on how the officer feels that day. Just becareful of those clowns out there that are county cops/forest service/wardens combined. We have one of those in my neck of the woods and he is a total A$$hole.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »
If you have a gun with a shotgun barrel loaded, and a 22 rifle barrel that is not loaded, it should be obvious that you are hunting with a shotgun. I can't imagine any warden writing someone up for that.

What if you want to carry a 22 pistol while turkey hunting with a shotgun? Just because you have a handgun strapped to your belt does not mean you are hunting with it.

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 11:28:42 AM »
Ive been checked and the officer asked me for 2 shells and my gun  :dunno:

Offline TONTO

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 11:30:56 AM »
 I was checked last year while duck hunting, the warden had me unload, then ran some sort of wand over my shells to chech lead free, then had me reload and check if I could put a third shell in my benelli's tube. This was all after she walked right through my spred and freaked out my dog.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 11:36:06 AM »
If you have a gun with a shotgun barrel loaded, and a 22 rifle barrel that is not loaded, it should be obvious that you are hunting with a shotgun. I can't imagine any warden writing someone up for that.

What if you want to carry a 22 pistol while turkey hunting with a shotgun? Just because you have a handgun strapped to your belt does not mean you are hunting with it.
Right, but you start to approach a judgment line, and that's why no one can say with certainty what an enforcement officer will do.  If you have a .22 strapped to your belt, and a dead turkey with a single hole through its head...then you might have some explaining to do.  :chuckle:

I tend to believe that most enforcement officers are good people who want to do the right thing.  There are exceptions, but I don't choose to live my life believing they are out to get me.

Hunt with your over under, but don't carry any .22 ammo.  You should be fine.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 11:37:16 AM »
As long as you do not have .22 shells, they cannot cite you for hunting with a .22
If you have the shells, then you have "cause" for an officer to cite you.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
Another thing...it's not like a 22 rifle is really much of an improvement over shotgun for hunting turkeys, especially if it's just a combination 22 rifle/shotgun with open sights. I would maybe look at it a little differently if the gun was a 223/shotgun. With a 223 you'd have the ability to reach out to at least 250 yards and kill a turkey with a body shot. With a 22 I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting any further than I would with a shotgun.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 11:51:48 AM »
Right, Bobcat.  That's where judgment comes in.  An officer should know that.  Personally, I just would not carry ammunition because then it is even clearer what my intentions are.

Offline duckaholic

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »
as far as the whole .22 ammo go's i think it would be like any other bird hunting, cant have lead in possession, so if you don't have the .22 you should be fine  :twocents:

and for the checking of your shotguns, i get checked at least 3 times a season and every time i have been checked the officer asked for my gun then unloads it, him/her self then will try to load the mag. tube with all three rounds and then will load the gun up as it was and hand it back to me. 
gun control means use two hands

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
Maybe the "magazine gauges" are in short supply and the rookies have to use the old fashioned method of checking for a plug.  :dunno:

:jacked:

Offline haus

• Too Tall
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
I was checked last year while duck hunting, the warden had me unload, then ran some sort of wand over my shells to chech lead free, then had me reload and check if I could put a third shell in my benelli's tube. This was all after she walked right through my spred and freaked out my dog.
well wasn't that just nice and polite of her  :chuckle:
RMEF

Offline garyltbh

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 12:51:44 PM »
i would for sure get ahold of wdfw i no a guy that used a 223/20ga and got a ticket he said he didnt have any 223 amo with him but he still recieved a ticket and ended up haveing to pay the ticket he was turkey hunting also

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal