collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Your thought on counting points on deer, All together or one side,eye guards etc  (Read 27390 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Curly has it, Hunting Cowboy and Bobcat gets it......D-man, as always I'm worried about you.  I missed the whole fork-n-horn thing.  I've heard of a spoon buck. :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
and i'm just a crazy easterner.

;)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
OK what the @#$% is a fork-n-horn ??  :dunno:

It's a strange way of referring to a 2 point. I've heard of guys in Oregon who use that term, but nowhere else. It sounds retarded to me. Did somebody here use that term? If so, I missed it.

i always thought it was a typo for what is really supposed to read as a forked-horn.

That's what I thought too, but there was a thread on ifish on this very subject, and many of those Oregon guys really do use the term fork-n-horn. Or is it forken horn? Not sure. But like I said, it's retarded. Now forked horn like you said would make sense. Where they come up with an "n" in there I have no clue. I would think the "n" might be short for "and." So then you would have fork and horn?  :dunno:

Do we have any Oregon hunters on here?

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
Curly has it, Hunting Cowboy and Bobcat gets it......D-man, as always I'm worried about you.  I missed the whole fork-n-horn thing.  I've heard of a spoon buck. :chuckle:

Thanks for the concern  :chuckle:

I've lost five pounds to the flu this week, probably not making sense anyway.....

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68

I've lost five pounds to the flu this week,

You're not the only one. I spent all day Friday and Saturday, lying in the house under a blanket, trying to stay warm, other than the frequent trips to the toilet. The first decent weather we've had in a while and I had to be sick.  :bash:

I suppose I should weigh myself and see how much I'm down.  :chuckle:

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
Dman & Bobcat..........Hope you guys are feelin better. That's some nasty stuff goin around! My mother was battling it this past weekend.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
I found that if you take high doses of vitamen C you will get over it much quicker and may even prevent it if you take it early enough, especially if you are around some one with that nasty stuff.

I have taken 2000mg daily for the past several years and haven't even had the sniffles, good stuff !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
Well I had a flu shot just a couple weeks ago and I saw a report on tv the other night that said even though the flu shot this year isn't very effective, it will still reduce the severity of the symptoms and the length of time that it lasts. So I am glad for that. First time in my life I ever got a flu shot.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
My littleest had it and missed a week of school.  How the rest of us got it, or me since I see so many n the ER with it.  Anyway, i DID'nt get tthe shot. Only because they give it during the month of October where I work, and they ran out this year.  They do that every year, and guess what, I'm always hunting in October.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
we've had it at our house too...it only got  me for a day or 2, but my wife was down for the count for over a week, then the baby had it. it was rough.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Baby had it....NOW THAT is scary!  Thats where Flu A shines.

Offline Dman

• Dmanmastertracker
  • Sourdough
 It really is going around, my entire group of five people I work with had it and all missed work last week. This is about my 8th day, I too have been taking daily's, apparently not enough. Worst cold I've had since I got Pneumonia three years ago. Had about 3-4 nights of just shaking like a leaf, good fun.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
When I was young I lived in Texas.  We always made fun of how folks up north counted racks.  In Texas and in Mississippi we counted one side only eye guards are out, only tines off main beam. Eye guards are just a tie breaker. Elk I assume would be the same. 

Now that I live up here in the north, I must admit Ive changed my ways.  I count all points on both sides.  Eye guards over an inch long count.
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

Offline Palmer

• Scout
  • Educated from the wilderness
On whities I was counting the eyeguards but as I talked to folks in Northeastern Washington it got a little confusing when I realized about half the folks didn't count the eyeguards.  However, when the game dept asks, whether in Washington or Idaho, I count anything over an inch.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
I must have missed something since hunting first began in Wa.. The State's definition has always been the same and has never changed.  :dunno:

The Wyoming definition is not actually the same, here's Washington's:
 "All antler points must be at least one inch long measured on the longest side. Eye guards are
antler points when they are at least one inch long."

Does not read the same at all, it bears no mention of specifically an eyeguard as a point. One could also assume, an eyeguard grows from the base of the antler, not the main beam itself and might not be counted. Wyoming states "any portrusion from the antler" -not the same as base of the antler. Actually when I was speaking of hunter's in those other two States I was referring to guys like Eastman, who I do no believe counts eyeguards as points. I do like Eastman's as a whole.

Dman, I usually don't like to bead a  :beatdeadhorse: but I guess I saw this horse still twitching. :)

I just have to say that I still believe that the Wyoming definition of a "point" is the same as Washington's definition. 

WY just says it with less words.  It is a simpler definition.......no need to mention eyeguards specifically when they say " “Point” means any protrusion from an antler one (1) inch or more in length."  That includes eyeguards since they protrude from the antler.

So, if we agree that they (hunters) don't count eyeguards in WY and the definition of a point is the same as in WA, then there is no reason why we can't count points on deer the same in WA as in WY.

Bottom line:  count your deer any way you want.........just post pictures along with your description. 8)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter