collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting Dog Memorial  (Read 104318 times)

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Hunting Dog Memorial
« on: May 10, 2010, 10:30:57 PM »
Rules for the thread:
  • Post up a eulogy, a few words about your dog, or just a photo.  Please limit the photos to one.
  • I will go through and eliminate comments every so often, this is a memorial to remember our friends.

That is it.  Hopefully, this will help us remember our dogs, and the great times we had with them.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:07:42 PM by tlbradford »
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
Re: Hunting Dog Memorial
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:39:59 PM »
Hagen (1995-2011)

Intelligent, athletic, good nose, and a great hunting companion through my college years and beyond.  I had him longer than my wife.  He has been a protector of kids, an upland bird machine for pheasants and quail, and faithful despite all of my missed birds.   I couldn't have asked for a better dog.

Hagen - Age 12 at time of photo
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:46:05 PM by tlbradford »
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 09:19:34 PM »

Hubba Ding Ace  1991-2007 RIP

Ace was my first pedigreed hunting dog.  We hunted together for 12 years before he retired. I wore out several pairs of boots following the "Old Dog".
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:28:32 PM by Old Dog »
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
Skeeter.......I miss you buddy. 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline BLR 243

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:44 PM »
Lots of pheasants fell to Mrs Pepper.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
For 18 years, I have had the honor and privilege to live and love the dog pictured below. His name is Lucky. As I write, he is still with us, but after noon today he will no longer be.

Lucky was a pound puppy. We saw him at the King County Animal Shelter when he was just a pup. He was at the back of a kennel, prisoned with about three larger dogs, he looked whooped. Ears down, trying to stay out of trouble with the bigger dogs in the pen. He was so cute. We weren't sure, so we waited a week then returned to get him. He was gone. We asked at the front counter, and the lady there whispered to us..."I moved him"....." he was so cute, I reassigned him a number so he wouldn't have to be put down..." She said he was so "Lucky" to have us come and look again for him, hence his name.

From that moment till today, we have had the most wonderful dog in the world. Not always quiet, not politically correct. ( He loved to hump your leg if you know what I mean...) Not perfect. A blend of Terrier and Standard Poodle, a Terrypooh! He had dreadlock on his legs, looked very cool. This dog has hiked the pacific crest trail with us, dug clams with us, snowshoed with us all over the state. His bark has kept thieves away as they walk by the house. He chewed all of my wifes left shoes when young, ate the saved glass top from our wedding cake, ate my wallet, chewed a live powercord off at the wall, he even peed on my back as I sat eating a hotdog in a park like setting, everyone saw. Even after all of this, he has proven to weave himself into our soul.

Just to hear him walk around the house at night was a blessing. He has been with us 18 years, and his presence will be sorely missed. I already feel the ache and hollowness that will surely follow.

In the past three years he has been slowly going down hill. Cataracs have nearly blinded him, he has lost most all of his hearing. His whole life we have removed masses which have shown up all over his body. He has had more surgeries than anyone I know. He was always the trooper, never held anything against us. He has two very large masses which are cancerous, located on his belly, non operable.

We still want him. We do not want to put him down, but have no choice. Today is the day. The terrible day where we have to all gather around him in the vet's office, and hold him, and love him and watch him pass.  We have a special place in the hills where we will bury him with some of his buddies, other pets who lie there.

We simply want him to go while he can still feel our warmth, our love, where he still walks into the vet on his own power, with dignity.

I don't think I have ever had to make a tougher decision. I am sure it is the right one, just incredibly difficult and painful.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:48:42 PM by tlbradford »
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »
My First Chessie Sima. She was paralyzed for 5 days after a collison with a split rail fence while training. She always went all out at everything she did. I couldn't put her down because she was trying so hard to walk.(I was supposed to put her down at 3 days per vet) I was lying on the couch the day I had to take her in to be put down. I awoke to her standing above my face licking me profusly as to tell me she was going to be ok. She never regained all of her rear end movement but, got around pretty well for a couple more years. She never thought she was slowed up or lame at all. I had to put her down due to torsion which occured for unknown reason. I'm assuming it was a side complication to the nerve damage in her spine.

This is the last picture I have of her in late August at Lake Curlew. She passed in Sept of 2004.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
May Hemi chase chuckars in the fields of heaven untill we are reunited again some day.

Hemi was only 8mo old when his life was cut short and taken away from our family. He brought the greatest joy to our family, friends and the hearts of every one that came in contact with him.

Rest In Peace Little Buddy..........
9/01/08-5/01/09

The day we brought him home.

Sorry, could not decide on just one. Hope you all forgive me.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 01:04:20 PM by gasman »
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Elkstuffer

• ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Facebook.com/allthatswildtaxidermy
    • All That's Wild Taxidermy
  • Groups: WWSF, NWTF, RMEF, DU, SCI, MDF
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »
My boy Henry was with me for 12 short years. Lymphoma took his away from me far too soon.  Although he was extremely hard headed he was more loyal  to me than anyone else in my entire life. He had the best nose of any bird dog that I'd ever hunted over and had never lost a bird. He was truly one of a kind and will never be replaced.

Rest in peace buddy, rest in peace.

Henry (Shadows over the Henry's Fork) 11/8/96 - 5/20/08
Serving Central Washington and the Northwest for all of your taxidermy needs since 1999.

ALL THAT'S WILD TAXIDERMY
960 Dilley Road
Tieton, WA 98947
(509)673-1579

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it."     Fred Bear

Offline NWHydroprint

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:58 AM »
Here is a picture of our Lab/Chow Chow cross "Sheesta" was with me and my wife for 15 years. And watched our daughter come home from the hospital and our daughter was holding her when she left us.
We still talk about her today. She would fetch ducks or any anything but also would protect and fight like no other.

We had to put her down a year ago in April.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:40:46 AM by NWHydroprint »

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:35 PM »
I lost both of my good buddies in May. Jake on the 5th, and Boone on the 30th. For those who followed the threads I'm sure you know about Boone. He was 3 years old and died most likely from bone marrow cancer. Jake was a great dog that helped me through all my hard times as a kid and into my adulthood. When things got rough he was always there from me. I held him in my arms sobbing like a little girl as he slipped away. I loved both of my dogs like they were my children. "Booney" was one of the first few words my daughter learned to say. We were truly blessed to have them both in our lives. My little girl still goes into the backyard and calls for them. I get a lump in my throat every time.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 08:46:04 PM »
My favorite pic of my first hunting dog Oso a Chesapeake bay retriever. Went to work with me every day for his 10yrs  and worked his tail off to retrieve my ducks even in 1/2" ice. still makes me ball like a baby when i think about him...the pic is of him on a rock out at Larabee state park out on the salt...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline seaduckhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
Chester was a good dog.  He wasnt the best hunting dog but a very great family dog and a great friend.  He was there for me through some rough times.  My kids and wife miss him dearly. I miss you a lot.  This was the day before we had to put him down from a tumor growing in his armpit area spreading to his chest.  He looks happy here even though he could hardly walk.

Offline canyelk48

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 06:06:52 AM »
Chelsea and Meg - They're both chasing birds in Heaven now; hope to see you again someday girls!

sisu

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 07:27:45 PM »
Aurora

Aurora was an American Pit Bull Terrier that came into our lives as a puppy. Her owner was our son. He had her about a year when he moved to Washington State where we had relocated to after 20 years in Alaska. He was renting and could not have a dog so we took her in. At the time we also owned a Rottweiler, Kuba and a cat, Squiggy. The relationship between Kuba and Aurora was tenuous at best. Kuba was an older girl with medical problems do to her age and Squiggy was a very playful cat that enjoyed the company of the new addition.

Aurora was full of mischief. She ate the heads off of several very old solid wood decoys, snapped trees and plants off in the backyard in Marysville, WA that my wife had planted and enjoyed looking at. When it rained much to Aurora’s enjoyment the back yard became her personal mud track where she’d do loops till she looked like a gray dog when in fact she was fawn with white toes and a beautiful white blaze on her chest.

Squiggy and Aurora had any unusual relationship to say the least. The most unusual was the head in the mouth of the lion trick. Squiggy liked to put his head in Aurora’s mouth and Aurora would massage the cat’s head by squeezing down and releasing pressure while the cat would purr!
Aurora and Squiggy would chase one another around the house at full tilt with rugs sliding around on the hardwood floors, furniture up ending with one of us yelling for it to stop. If the dogs were resting and Squiggy wanted to play, he would walk by one giving them a good old fashioned slap with his paw to induce a round of chase me. Kuba would jump into the game but only for a short lap or two so once the old girl quit then it off to the newest addition, Aurora for a more robust chase scene.

After Kuba and Squiggy died Aurora became the Queen of the House and remained so until her death on December 18, 2009. The Queen knew she was that and conducted herself as one right up to the end.

Aurora has touched my heart like no other dog has that I’ve owned. They all have been near and dear to me but this one for some reason was more than a dog. She was a trickster, costume wearer, guard of the family, and watchful eye for the family possessions and the door greeter for one and all that entered our house. Once introduced you were doomed to be licked, jumped on, head butted, and slept upon as she loved the touch of human friends that were staying at the Queen’s Home.

I’ll digress here and start to tell stories as they pop into my head about the Queen and me.
Aurora was fortunate to go on a lot of hikes on the western side of Washington when we were living there. She and I climbed several large mountains that required no technical skill other than knowledge of using an ice ax and proper or common sense on steep snow. I remember the first time we glissaded to together. I put her in my lap, sat down and off we went toward a spot where the lower trial was. As we picked up speed she became alarmed and jumped out of my lap on to the snow bringing us to a full tilt stop. I re-collected her, put her in my lap again but holding on very tight this time and off we went again. After a few more halts do to escapes she relaxed and glissading became a standard routine for her that I believe she enjoyed as it took so little effort on her part. Only trust in the human holding on to her.
The other aspect of hiking with Aurora that could land one in trouble the “rangers” out here was she liked to denude the landscape. She took it upon herself to pull, yes pull, trees and shrubs out of the ground by their roots at rest stops or camp sites. Why? We never quite understood, but she sure enjoyed this activity.

I miss her terribly. This is one dog that will remain in my memories for ever.
God Bless you Aurora for your company, companionship and your constant vigilant guard duty of the family.
Scott J.

WSU Pet Memorial Site

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]