collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: compound bow sights and rests  (Read 10060 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: compound bow sights and rests
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 06:22:42 AM »
Seems there is a dispute over weather the Whisker biscuits are any good..
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 07:17:14 AM »
 Here is a link to show how inaccurate a whisker biscuit is.     

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 07:33:10 AM »
Thanks for the infor Steve just shot you an IM. Keith
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 07:35:16 AM »
Bowhuntin...This applies to both firearms and archery.  People should take notice of what all accuracy shooters are doing to be more accurate.  With out a doubt almost all shooting enhancements originated from the target shooters.  If a person can shoot tiny little groups on a range/course my experience has shown they are better shooters in a hunting situation then those who can not shoot small groups.  To me saying 3D is not a hunting situation is like saying "I don't sight in from a bench because I won't have a bench with me while hunting".  I have heard that so many times I have a true understanding of why a majority of hunters miss or badly wound animals.  I am not saying you feel this way just an exhample of a person who really does not understand the requirements of accurate shooting.  If you like the WB then great shoot it and I hope it does exactly what you want of it.
Skyval...With out a doubt the WB is about the only rest that seems to create such controversy.  I think that shows something to be checked in depth.  Again I think it works ok out to 30yds, but I don't even have a 30yd pin.

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 07:46:27 AM »
I dont understand how it is possible for something that has this much contact to be as accurate as a rest that has no contact :dunno:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwTizMtvKwI&feature=related[/youtube]

Here is what a drop away looks like.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6UEXaEwZo&feature=related[/youtube]

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 07:52:48 AM by Passion »
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Online Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »
Try that with a well tuned bow!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »
I have never had any problem with my vanes and having to refletch because of my whisker biscuit. I shoot around 200-300 arrows a week and my vanes are fine. Maybe the older generation WB screwed up the vanes but the two I have used work just fine with my easton axis arrows and fletching.

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 01:48:44 PM »
Dbllunger, I don't know much about 3D shooting or courses, but I would like to go shoot one to see what it is like if it does simulate a hunting situation minus the fact that you aren't going to have all that adrenaline coursing through your body or heart pounding in your chest from hiking up the mountain. You are right that you people that shoot smaller groups at the range/course a better shots because they are the ones practicing more most likely. As far as the WB and Drop Away debate I think the WB is just a good a rest and be just as a good as accurate as the Drop Away. That being said I don't shoot any further than 35 yards and see know need too. The reason to hunt with a bow is to get a more up and close personal experience while hunting. When I set my bow up and ask questions at the pro shop, both shops I have been too always suggest the WB as a hunting rest. I don't think guys would use this rest or sell it in their pro shops if it really was so inaccurate to the drop aways. Use what works best for you.

Offline KillBilly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • I kill therefore I Am
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 01:48:59 PM »
griz272000, you have been pretty quiet for the guy that started all of this  :chuckle: What do ya think now?
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem.
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother.

Offline Bscman

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 03:32:13 PM »
I switched to a whisker biscuit a few years ago and don't plan on going back anytime soon. I do a lot of "paperwork" with my bow, but it's all for preparation for hunting season.

That beind said, I think the W/B has a lot of advantages.
I haven't had any issues with vanes being pulled off. Loss of arrow speed is negligible.

Since switching to the W/B, my father and two of my buddies has switched to the W/B.

Would it be my first choice for a "target" bow? No.
But it IS my first choice for a hunting bow. It works very well and is incredibly simple to use. Accuracy is still good enough that I'm constantly breaking knocks off my arrows (and occasionally ruining arrows) because of near-robin hoods. That's good enough for deer.  ;)
I left it better than I found it...did you?
I hunt animals because veggies are too easy to stalk.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 03:37:10 PM »
Love these debates on equipment.  Goes to show why there are so many options available and I like it that way.

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »
I have used a WB ever since they came out and I love it .Now all my freinds and family use them.We fool around at 80 yds at the range all the time and they are very accurate if your bow is tuned well.Last year I robbin-hooded an arrow at 50 yds.I use A heavy arrow with 4 fletch blazer vanes.That extra vane slowes my arrow down but gives me way more control and forgiveness.If you set your equiptment up properly you cant go wrong with a wb.

Offline griz272000

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 08:53:45 PM »
i think it is hilarious  :chuckle: it works well for me i shoot good to 40 yards thats all i need .i cant shot consistant with a fall away rest its probably just me.im just stating what works for me. i didnt start anything lol.  :dunno:
Want to make a difference in our state ? Then VOTE!

Offline Bookworm

• Scout
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:59 PM »
It's pretty comical how people get soo defensive about their equipment. We all know that everyone is different about their likes and dislikes. Everyone has to experiment to find out what works for them. Most people find what works for them and stick with it. It's just like the age old debate wether Ford or Chevy or Dodge makes the best truck. Find the one you like and stick with it. :dunno:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 09:18:49 PM »
so is a ford better than a dodge better than a chevy ??

i just bought a trophy taker based on some advice i got from one of you guys, and my bow sports a cobra sidewinder 5 pin sight which works great for me.
i was gonna buy a w/b but the noise/contact factor is why i went the other way. i have seen a deer killed at 70 yards with an arrow that fully passed through shot thru a whicker biscuit fwiw. there were no accuracy issues there.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal