collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spring bear..  (Read 56447 times)

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Spring bear..
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 06:31:06 PM »
Yeah thats definately one to be proud of.  You get a rug done?

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 06:41:35 PM »
Hey billy, great looking bear have you scored him? I thought I saw that they were giving out 100 permits for capitol forest this year. I also put in for copalis this year. Where do you get permits for copalis? I didn't see any mention about permits on the game depts web site, they must send you that info if you draw? Predator

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 07:18:11 PM »
I put in for Capitol Forest and Kapowsin units. First year ever putting in... Hey billy, did you call that bear in or just happen upon it and shoot it?

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 12:01:25 PM »
bowpredator,  Capitol Forest was reduced to 50 permits, apparently due to a reduction in the bear population there, in the last couple of years. Here is a link to the actual WAC on that:  http://search.leg.wa.gov/wslwac/WAC%20232%20%20TITLE/WAC%20232%20-%2028%20%20CHAPTER/WAC%20232%20-%2028%20-286.htm

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 07:23:56 PM »
Hey Billy nice HOG there  :) Hey if you guys don't get drawn, ID has some 2 bear units over in the Clearwater area, the tags are only $31.50 for non-residents.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 09:52:01 PM »
Thanks guys..and no, I did not do a rug or mount of that bear.....I wish I had, but at the time I wasn't working much and since we already have three bear mounts..A year later he scored 20 inches even.

Bowpredator - The access permits must be picked up in Aberdeen. There is no mention of the permits online that I can find, except on the press release at F&G. I don't think F&G will send out any info on access, we will be lucky to get maps for the CF, we found out by calling the timber company.

Brushchimp - I called that bear in, it only took an hour!. It was one of 3 bears I called that spring. Poster/member Bobcat also called in a couple good bears that spring. Good luck on the CF, but I hope you don't get the Kapowsin tag unless you are familiar with the area and the politics of the unit. I know they were purchased by a new company, but I understand that alot of the same practices will be followed again this year.

Machias - You want to be an unpaid guide? LOL

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 10:36:18 PM »
 :)  There is sooo much room and sooo many bears, I'd be more than happy to point some areas out for you.  The season opens 1 April, but you'll have a heck of a time getting into alot of areas without a snowmobile.  I am going to try and get in ahead of other folks with my snowmobile this year.  Not a bad deal, $140 for a hunting lic, 31.50 for a tag and you can hunt bear from 1 Apr to the end of Jun, I think, let me double check that.  Awesome country.  Also you can bait for $11.50 more.
Fred Moyer

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 09:09:59 AM »
You're killin' me now.  I already have my Idaho license, but thought in my mind you had to draw for Spring bear over there as well.   Some investigation needs to be done. :)

P.S.  I've been drooling over your hound add.  I've been really contemplating getting some hounds, but know the time and other committments.  My best friend was a houndsman on the west side, but his family moved to Idaho when Washington changed the regs.  Anyhow, it was alot of fun running with them.  Now that Washington is opening a little, I've thought about it.  I would be very green at training them, but I guess thats half the fun.  I think I would be more into cats than I would bears, but its all fun.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 09:14:35 AM by boneaddict »

Offline Jerome

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 09:24:22 AM »
Boneaddict you buy the bluetick, i will bring the one walker that i have left that needs some work and we will get em treed.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 11:01:10 AM »
Just might happen.  All I have to do is convinve the wife I NEED hunting dogs.  With you guys as a source, I just might have some training help.  I think this year is out in Idaho unless you put in for your hound stamp in like December.  I'll have to look into that. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2007, 11:57:17 AM »
The only Idaho non-resident hound permits left are in wilderness areas...true wilderness areas.  I would not turn a dog loose in most of what is left available.  Couple of things to consider with dogs, we have a decent coon season, better if you live on the westside as they have a much better coon population.  Lots of fun chasing coons.  You can apply for lion permits, but they are hit and miss :)  Some guys get permits to run bear on damage complaints from the timber companies, I'm not sure how that process works.  You can apply for the Idaho tags, I think it is before 1 Dec each year, but they only have 70 statewide non-resident hound permits, they went to that after all the WA houndsmen moved there.  They do have some decent areas in the Clearwater, still big areas but boy you can sure run allot of ground, but you also have to apply for those by 1 Dec.  Another option is bobcats in Oregon is open to non-residents for $188 a year, however one bobcat treed would more than cover the cost of your tag.  And then you can run bear in Northern CA, long season and lots of bears and really it's not too bad of a drive even if your in Eastern WA.  I try to make it down there three or four times a fall.  LOTS of bears down there!
Fred Moyer

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2007, 11:58:31 AM »
Coon Dog, where do you live?  Wanna get together sometime for a hunt?
Fred Moyer

Offline Jerome

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »
I am always up for a hunt.  I am on the westside of the state.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:47:15 PM by Coon Dog »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 03:06:20 PM »
Hounds are legal for bear in California? Who would've ever thought that was possible. Not legal in Oregon or Washington, but in California? wow...

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2007, 11:16:27 AM »
Bobcat--Crazy isn't it!

Coon Dog-  That would be fun, let's try and hook up for a hunt next fall.

The bear season for Idaho Units 10 and 12 are from1 Apr to 30 Jun and then from 30 Aug to 3 Nov.  Tags are $31.75 for non-residents and you can purchase two.
Fred Moyer

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]