collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: My 2007 ELK  (Read 8413 times)

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
My 2007 ELK
« on: February 29, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »
I am starting to hear alot of rumors about the elk I shot this year ,not from this sight but anyway I thought I would share my story.               I have been a charter captain in Juneau for the last 7 years on and off and I usually dont get back in town until late september.I had 5 bonus points and I put in for the only archery bull tag I could actually hunt,Teanaway late season.  I have been hunting alot in that unit and I live in Cle Eum so I knew what A great tag I had drawn.I took the whole season off from work but the first 6 days were tough . I had seen alot of elk but most were on private property .The next 2 days I got up late to let the crunchy snow soften up a bit and on the way saw 1 big bull and 1 small 5 cross the freeway 2 mornings in a row. So I tracked down the land owner gave him a ton of halibut and salmon and he finally gave me permission.I also saw the local game warden watching the elk and he informed me that he had given several warnings and even a few tickets to hunters harrassing and even attempting to shoot them from the road.       After I got permission I went out to the field and found that the only chance of getting a shot would be to crawl out to the only bush in the field in the dark and wait for day light.I knew the chances of them walking with in 50 yds of my spot were slim but I had 8 more days so I decided to try it and see what happens.       That afternoon I went to shoot my bow to see if everything was still dead nuts.I found that my groups were still good but for some reason I was shooting 6 inches left and 3 inches down from every distance.The more I shot though ,the better I shot and pretty soon I was confident again.That night was a sleepless one for me.                PART 2 coming soon wife is getting pissed

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: My 2007 ELK
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
I can't wait for part 2. I knew your bull intimately for a week trying to kill him. Someday I'd like to get my hands on him if you don't mind. Go ahead continue.............

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 08:05:41 PM »
Can't wait for part two
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 08:11:47 PM »
PART 2,wife is pre occupied :P                         I woke up the next morning at 4:00 A.M,made some coffee and waited for crazyelk to get to my house.Turns out he had the flu and didnt make it.The plan was for him to drop me off in the dark and crawl out to my spot.Plan B I decided to park on A little pull out and crawl to my spot,time 5:15,snowing like crazy,it took me about an hour to get there and I froze my balls off for another 2 hours till light .As soon as I could see I looked everywhere I could see and saw nothing ,I thought I could see the whole field ,part of me wanted to leave and hit the woods like I had every other day but I could see other hunters driving by and they all kept stopping like they could see something out there so I sat tight and waited.Finally at about 1 hour after light I saw the 5 point and he was coming right at me.He was moving pretty fast like he wanted out of that field right now.     I havenever shot a bull and on any other day i would have creamed this bull but I knew the big one had to be there so I passed a 43 yard broadside shot .About 30 seconds later I saw the big boy.He was walking slower and even closer to me.Luckily He took his time getting to me,I was shaking like a leaf.I finally cleared my mind,focused on the spot,did my shooting routine over and over in my head,waited  ,ranged him,34 yards,draw back,he stops broadside,put my 30 on him,O crap I cant see thru my peep,all iced up ,I cant believe it I had so much time to prepare and I didnt even think about my peep.  Anyway I paniced lined up the sights with my bowstring and shot.Bingo,perfect shot or so I thought.The bull ran 150 yards and stopped,the arrow stickin right from behind the shoulder,maybe a little low but definatly lung.I looked up at my truck and saw the warden parked next to me so I went up to talk to him,I thought he was going to give me a hard time but he rolled down his window and said nice shot I watched everything from my spotting scope    .For some reason MY arrowonly stuck in about 14 inches.We watched that bull for 2 hours and he just stood there and never moved when finally he walked to a fence line and layed down.There was starting to be a crowd around,mostly hunters and every one thought he would die anytime so we waited.   Finally he put his head down but he was still alive so I decided to put the sneak on him.I was sneaking down the fence line ,when I got to about 80 yards,his head snapped up and he looked right at me.I couldnt believe it,he didnt even look hurt as he jumped up and headed straight for the freeway.When he got to the barbed wire fence he stopped ,then attemted to jump over and bit it hard.Then he got up and walked across the road.I dont think Ive ever been so sick in my life ,I thought ,he will just keep going and I will never find him over there.I went from the ultimate high to the low of lows.After i got my self together the first thing i did was call the game warden that helped me earlier.He came back out and i explained what happened and that he ran on to private land .He helped us track down the owner,turns out they live in bellevue and they wernt answering so I got the go ahead to walk in there. PART 3  coming up soon,gotta put the kids to bed

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:30:29 PM »
Cool story like the suspense hope to here about the climax soon :)
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 08:31:28 PM »
I never heard any negatives about your elk, but there should not be!  You worked your butt off and we are all waiting for you to finish with the stroy and some pictures!! :o
- Scott

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:41:58 PM »
So im walking up this skidder road looking for his tracks or anything,FREEZE,There he is less than 30 yards laying next to a blowdown and he doesnt see me.I cant get a good shot because of a stump and im to close to move around alot so i wait.   This is where this story goes from awsome to amazing .As I am waiting for the elk to get up or die or something I here a flock of turkeys coming up the hill towards me.There was about 15 and they came right up to the Elk and it was so cool they just looked at each other and the turkeys walked by the elk and then me,I thought that was cool,then i saw something else following the turkeys,It was A bobcat and it walked right between me and the elk.He stopped looked right at the elk then kept going ,I never saw one that close before and I could have smoked him but I had to get that elk.. Finally I took 4 steps where I could see his vitals and put another one in him,This time I hit him through both lungs,He got up and ran,than stopped,range  53 yards,hit him perfect,he took ten more steps and fell down for good. He officially scored 389  6\8 gross   367  3\8 net   #3 in WA

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 08:46:08 PM »
Awesome story, I probably woulda smoked the cat then finished the bull off, that would have been heck of a picture.  Awesome bull hope to kill one like that someday Ive got six points burning a hole in this archery hunters pocket.  Got anymore pics.  Congrats.
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 08:50:40 PM »
Nice work was it two or three arrows in him.  What a beast.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:55:48 PM »
That is one nice looking Bull.  Congrats! :IBCOOL:

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »
great looking bull.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 10:46:52 PM »
WOW!!! He's Awesome!!! Congrats!!! ;)

Offline nwhunter

• Sourdough
  • nwhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 11:49:15 PM »
Great bull and good to hear the story. The only thing I don't like about your bull is it put my bull at #4 by a measly two points! It was good to meet you at the Puyallup show. Good Job! nwhunter

Offline robb92

• Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »
Great story!!! Thanks for posting it and the picture!!
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 01:47:21 AM »
Nice job I've been waiting to hear that story! I saw your bull at the Puyallup show ... very impressive!  :drool:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal