collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Heat and dogs  (Read 1441 times)

Offline 10Key

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Heat and dogs
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
Just a reminder during the summer, now that it is finally here, be sure to keep an eye out for signs of heat exhaustion/stroke.

Chukar is showing signs of it right now, so I doused him with water and made sure that he is laying in the grass (wet) in the shade. If he doesn't improve, he will come inside and sit next to a fan.

Here are the signs, copied from the web:

Signs of heat exhaustion include heavy panting, hyperventilation (deep breathing), increased salivation early then dry gums as the heat prostration progresses, weakness, confusion or inattention, vomiting or diarrhea and sometimes bleeding. As the condition progresses towards heat prostration or heat stroke there may be obvious paleness or graying to the gums, shallowing of the breathing efforts and eventually slowed or absent breathing efforts, vomiting and diarrhea that may be bloody and finally seizures or coma. Temperatures above 105 degrees Fahrenheit are dangerous, if you have a way of taking their temperature. Most people don't carry around thermometers with them and the physical signs are usually enough to go by.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Heat and dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:12:26 PM »
My yellow dog is inside all day today with the fan's blowing. He's getting old and doesn't handle it too well.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:24:28 PM »
Mine are locked in the shop. Concrete stays cool. Big cooler full of fresh water.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:25 PM »
The big thing is too warm your dogs up slowly.  Here in the Georgia we will road our pointings even when temps get into the low 90's.  The dogs can do it just fine, but they are conditioned to run in that kind of heat.  You can't take a dog who is used to 40's and 50's and just throw them into 90+ degree air and expect them to handle it.  Make sure the dogs have plenty of cold water and make sure they have shade................  Now, my black lab, hes been inside for a month, he can't handle the heat.  Thats why you see very few labs that hunt down here in the south.

Offline bonneylakebowman

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »
The little kid pools that you can get at walmart for 10 dollars does wonders.  I have one for the pup and I fill it up with water every morning for her and she plays and lays in it almost all day long

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 03:43:11 PM »
Took mine to the pond yesterday and played for over an hour in the water. May be back today or i might just turn on the sprinkler for them, and the lawn  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal