collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got my new Howa Axiom! Barrel break-in?  (Read 15519 times)

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Got my new Howa Axiom! Barrel break-in?
« on: July 15, 2010, 08:59:34 PM »
So I got my new Axiom in 22-250 yesterday and I'm planning on getting it zeroed tomorrow and hunting with it this weekend. Its the Ranchland Kings Desert Camo (as you can see) with 24" heavy barrel and the matching Stirling Nighteater 4.5-16x44 scope. Its a bit heavier than my MP15 but I like it and I'm pumped to shoot it! I'm also gonna put a Harris 25c ultra-light bipod on it so there's another pound to add to the listed 10.8lbs. I think its heavier than that since UPS weighed it at 16.4 in the box and I doubt the box and foam weighs 5#???

Anyway, whats your guy's take on barrel break in? Is it really that important? I've never done that on any of my rifles before and they *seem* to shoot fine to me!  :dunno: I read a 'how to' page online and it says if you dont have a barrel guide to clean it with dont even bother - you'll do more damage with the cleaning rod than you will by shooting it. I find that hard to believe, I always clean from the breach end and use my fingers as a guide and so with that and the chamber I dont think the rod hardly touches the barrel. Also I use a bore snake most of the time except to oil the barrel with a patch.

But I've never had a BA rifle before want to dial in this gun to a tack-driver as best I can so I want to do it right. So can some of you guys gimme your take on all this barrel break in and how important you think it is? Thanks!
I aint superstitious - cuz its bad luck!
Global Warming: The #1 threat to Unicorns!

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
Re: Got my new Howa Axiom! Barrel break-in?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
More Pics

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:09:19 PM »
That is an awesome looking rifle.  Congrats.  I usually just shoot a round or two and then clean for the first 50 or so rounds and of course clean it after done shooting and I have never had a problem.  I think every gun that I have will out shoot me for the amount of shooting I do.  I think it is really your preference on the break in because I have seen some real tack drivers that the owner did not do any kind of break in and vice versa.  I personally don't do enough shooting that I am ever going to see a difference but I always hope I will have the time to do enough shooting to really get my rifles dialed in to better than what they are now.   :twocents:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:19:05 PM »
the first 10 or so i clean between each shot. then the next 10 every 2 shots then i shoot 4 3 shot groups cleaning inbetween each group. that has always worked well for me. the axiom is a nice gun i have a friend that has the 204 he is a big les buff :chuckle: so of course he has one. i have shot it about 4-5 times and it has always shot well when i have put it on paper. he shoots it good to nothing like 1/2" but ave is about 1-1.25" good gun overall i am sure you will like it. i always give him crap because his is heavy like yours and i told him that is why they had to cut all the extra stuff off the stock to make it " " lighter :chuckle: like the kings also :tup:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
Thanks for info guys and the compliments on the gun. Yeah I saw Les shoot it on PQ and thats why I wanted one! :chuckle: At first I thought it was kinda weird looking but now I really like the looks. But boy it sure is a heavy pig! I think I'm gonna have to start lifting weights or something - come to think of it I'm getting a workout just by lifting this thing. It blew my mind picking it up after my MP15 - that feels featherlight now. But I was kind of expecting it after shooting predatorpro's CZ550, that thing had some weight to it too.

Thats pretty much what the break-in guide said to do, shoot it, clean it, shoot some more, clean more, and spread it out longer & longer. But that kinda seems like a pain in the @$$ and also once I start to cleaning I cant ever stop so it takes me forever! Get a little obsessive about it I guess. Not real impressed by the bore snake either, seems like I run that thru 6-8 times then a patch and the patch always has more black stuff on it. Guess I'll just get one of those bore guides to be on the safe side and use my rods more often.

Thanks again and I'll update you guys once I get a few rounds downrange with it!

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:00:17 PM »
hey thats a great looking gun! im jealous!! what room are you keeping it in and when are you going to sleep? lol j/k!

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:27:06 AM »
Awsome gun :drool: I like the camo pattern. Let us know how she shoots?
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline overunder12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-download.html you can check out the break in procedure that they use on that page. pretty thorough!

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:03:59 AM »
hey thats a great looking gun! im jealous!! what room are you keeping it in and when are you going to sleep? lol j/k!

heheh - always kept in the safe and I sleep with one eye open right next to the safe! Dude you know I'll let you clean it for me anytime!

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:09:51 AM »
He addresses all the "misinformation" about barrel break-in procedures.

ummm, yyyeah...I dont think I'll be using that method anytime soon! But that was hilarious! Kinda puts things in perspective though. Damn I wish I would have seen that before I ordered this rifle - I got one with a cow barrel!

Thanks man - that was good!  :chuckle:

Offline WiseOldYote

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 07:48:21 PM »
I too have an Axiom in 22-250. Light contour barrel.

I would  recommend a  copper cleaner as well. I found the bore on my rifle to be a bit copper fouled. It will happen with a new barrel because the copper from the jacket will try and "fill" the machining imperfections within the bore.

I cleaned after every shot up till 40 or so rounds and am very impressed with the accuracy. 3-shot group with 30 rounds down the tube measured  .116!!!!  Good enough for me!
Yotus Wackus Alotus

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »
Well I took it to the range and tried to get it dialed in. It seemed to shoot very well and I liked it alot. I need to find a way to comfortably and consistently shoot on target. It seemed like I was bouncing around alot. What was cool was that the rangemaster was just drooling over my rifle - he loved it and couldnt stop telling me so. He kept coming over and giving me tips, seeing how it was coming along and finally he came over and spotted for me while I was shooting it. He came over while I was cleaning between shots and asking me what I was doing so I told him I was breakin it in. So he says the whole break-in thing was BS and started by barrel manufacturers to make more money by shooting more ammo and buying more barrels. I wasnt sure how it fit together in his 'conspiracy theory' but since it kept me from doing all that cleaning I went along! He was saying the barrel temp was most important thing so dont get it too hot.

Anyway, I'm still pretty green to all this hunting and proper target shooting so I dont know if my results were good or bad - but the range guy didnt seem impressed! He said the gun was under 1/2" moa but I need to learn how to shoot better. A pic of my targets both at 100yds is below. The left target was the 1st one I used to sight in. The two shots in the upper left were the very 1st two shots with no adjustments, just bore sighting. The two at the bottom towards the middle were after dialing it down. Then the ones at the left middle from dialing up - and finally the ones around the center.

The two in the upper right were from the guy next to me shooting the wrong target! Big-5 was there with the manufacture reps showing the rifles they will be selling next year and the guy next to me had the Savage Edge in .243. I should have asked to show it to me and I know he would have let me shoot it - darn it! But they had Savage, Remington, Mossberg, and Smith & Wesson reps there with all kinds of rifles and LOADS of ammo and were cycling thru all the Big 5 employees - some who were not very experienced shooters at all....

The target on the right was a fresh one once I had it "dialed in" better but I just could not hit tight groups consistently. It has to be my method of shooting. Oh well, not perfect but more practice should help! It was good enough to get its first kill on Sunday! (See my next post...)

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:13:23 PM »
Well after reading the break-in procedures on Howa's website I'm kinda 2nd guessing my decision to forego the break-in!  :bdid: I hope the range guy is right about it being BS! But the way Howa explains it make sense, I should have read that 1st! I didnt shoot 20 rounds in 5 minutes but I did get the barrel good & warmed up with about 10+ shots loaded one at a time but basically in a row. Hopefully it will still shoot fairly straight - I'm not looking to win any competitions but I would like to be able to hit a ground squirrel at 100+ yds.... Besides, with bolt action how often do you shoot 5+ rounds really fast together & heat up the barrel - its not like its a frickin AR where you can drop 30rds in less than a minute!?!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:34:12 PM »
yeah it is a pain and worth it at the same time
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline G.R.K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:05 PM »
That new Axiom shotgun seem's to be pattering very nicely.  :chuckle:
Losing is natures' way of saying you suck.

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 11:55:43 AM »
That new Axiom shotgun seem's to be pattering very nicely.  :chuckle:

ooooh - ouch! You cut me to the bone man, cut to the bone!  :chuckle:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 12:03:51 PM »
Sweet looking gun.  Les Johnson has damn near made me go get one of these.

Offline overunder12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:37 PM »
When almost all professional gunsmiths and MFGs suggests breaking in the barrel using the shoot and clean routine, I know what I do with my guns. Honestly, there's no reason no to. you're already at the range and sighting in an optic, may as well at very least run a bore snake through. 

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 01:49:13 PM »
Yeah I should have went ahead and did it anyway instead of being lazy. I've fired 36 shots thru it altogether now so I dont know if its too late or what but I'm gonna try the procedure again next time at the range. Honestly since I cant consistently shoot tight groups with my skills/methods I cant tell if cleaning is making much of a difference in accuracy! But I can shoot my MP15 tighter than the Axiom.

I am not really impressed by those bore snakes at all. It seems like they never get the barrel very clean at all. I spray or soak the barrel with solvent for 3-5 minutes then run the snake through 5-6 times and follow with a patch and there is always black fouling on it - it bugs me! I cleaned it with patches then the ran snake thru and then a patch and it as dirty again! I did clean the snake last night thinking maybe it was dirty - and it was - so hopefullly that will make a difference. But it has has been like that since I got it.  I just ordered one of those rifle cleaning kits from www.patchworm.com so I'm gonna try that one and see if it works any better. Figured at $12 its not huge risk....

Offline overunder12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »
Yeah I should have went ahead and did it anyway instead of being lazy. I've fired 36 shots thru it altogether now so I dont know if its too late or what but I'm gonna try the procedure again next time at the range. Honestly since I cant consistently shoot tight groups with my skills/methods I cant tell if cleaning is making much of a difference in accuracy! But I can shoot my MP15 tighter than the Axiom.

I am not really impressed by those bore snakes at all. It seems like they never get the barrel very clean at all. I spray or soak the barrel with solvent for 3-5 minutes then run the snake through 5-6 times and follow with a patch and there is always black fouling on it - it bugs me! I cleaned it with patches then the ran snake thru and then a patch and it as dirty again! I did clean the snake last night thinking maybe it was dirty - and it was - so hopefullly that will make a difference. But it has has been like that since I got it.  I just ordered one of those rifle cleaning kits from www.patchworm.com so I'm gonna try that one and see if it works any better. Figured at $12 its not huge risk....

yup! I agree with you on the bore snake. but I was mentioning it as the lowest baseline--hehe not sure if it really matters though, I saw your other post on the coyote so maybe it's enough rifle already!

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 04:02:35 PM »

... I saw your other post on the coyote so maybe it's enough rifle already!

Yeah but she was only about 50yds out! I'm sure I would have still hit her at 100yds...but at 200+??  :dunno:

Offline overunder12

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
you should try buying a few different brands and models of your cartridge and put them through--some guns just like eating specific brands of ammo, who knows if it's the powder or the bullet seat depth or what, but you might be shocked at how much difference you can get when you find the right food for your stick.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2010, 05:28:16 PM »
Breaking in a barrel is a complete waste of time. Just don't get it hot. I usually shoot no more than 5 rounds at a time, then I will shoot another rifle while that one cools down. You should be using a bore guide to clean your rifles. That actually does make a difference. If you're not going to use a bore guide, then there's definitely no need to waste your time breaking in a barrel. Actually, breaking in a barrel is fine, I do it by shooting, and shooting, and shooting, No cleaning until I get home. So yeah, the breaking in is fine, it's the cleaining that's not necessary.

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 09:15:22 PM »
Breaking in a barrel is a complete waste of time. Just don't get it hot. I usually shoot no more than 5 rounds at a time, then I will shoot another rifle while that one cools down. You should be using a bore guide to clean your rifles. That actually does make a difference. If you're not going to use a bore guide, then there's definitely no need to waste your time breaking in a barrel. Actually, breaking in a barrel is fine, I do it by shooting, and shooting, and shooting, No cleaning until I get home. So yeah, the breaking in is fine, it's the cleaining that's not necessary.

That's basically what the range guy said, dont heat it up. Also on the Howa website it said overheating causes the barrel metal to not find a base form - or something like that. And the cleaning was more to seal the barrel and make cleaner easier down the line.

A bore guide goes on the muzzle end is that right? I usually try & clean from the breech end because...well... I dont know why but thats what I was told & read by someone, somewhere... If it works well plan on using the patchworm cleaner the most but I do like to use a traditional rod & brush sometimes and on this new gun it is hard to keep the rod centered when cleaning from the breech because of the cheekweld pad. Is there a reason cleaning from the breech is better and do you have a certain brand of bore guide you recommend? I found a review online and it says the Lucas guide is the best one. Also, I was told not pull the cleaner back thru the barrel the opposite way, to pull/push thru one way and take the end off before you pull it back.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:20 PM »
A bore guide fits in where the bolt goes. Take the bolt out and insert the bore guide. You want to clean from that end so you don't damage the muzzle. And yes, I just push my patches through one way. Don't pull them back through. If you're using a jag, the patch will drop off as soon as you push it through the barrel. I'm not sure which bore guide is best. The one I have was about $20. I don't think it matters which one you use.

Offline alvordgen

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:42 PM »
got a .204 howa. very heavy rifle. never did anything for barrel break in shoots great. love the p shooter
360 yard rockchuck this spring! ammo could be an issue on your groups, mine wont shoot 40 grain bullets.
no problem with others. Get into reloading its a blast

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys and info on the ammo. I think most of it is me but I never even gave a thought that it could be the rounds. I'll have to try a few different kinds and see how it goes. I was using 45gr Winchester Varmint rounds, just some "cheap" stuff that was on the shelf. It has like a cross shaped split in the ends, not smooth. The break in info said dont use moly tipped bullets - but I pretty much skipped all the break in stuff anyway! Plus those cost more so I didnt want to use those to sight it in. At the end I did also shoot 2 rounds of the V-Shok in 55gr and they went pretty much  where I was aiming. I just thought it was because the barrel had cooled but it was the different round? Interesting....

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]