collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Posture on The Line  (Read 1008 times)

Offline konrad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Posture on The Line
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:29:07 PM »
I thought I would share some hard-won information gleaned from hours at the butts.

There are myriad queries on the internet archery forums regarding all aspects of bow tuning, sights, releases, arrows and broadheads. There is little discussion regarding the archer’s shooting form. This is one of the most over looked and under-discussed issues facing the archer attempting to maximize accuracy.

We read volumes on coping with the dreaded “target panic” and how to use the mystical “surprise release”. But many things must be in place prior to the execution of the surprise release. The following are some techniques I try (sometimes more successfully than others) to incorporate in every shot sequence. This first post will cover body posture on the firing line.

A: Foot placement is as critical to consistency as any part of the exercise. Be it the open, closed or neutral foot stance the archer’s ability to reproduce the same, stabile foot placement is undeniable. I am a right-handed shooter and have found a slightly “open” stance works best for me.

“Open” refers to the placement of the foot further from the target. My stance has evolved to the point where my right foot is almost one half of its length further forward than the one closest to the target. Slightly angling toward the target gives greater clearance between the bow holding forearm and the string. This can be extremely important when wearing bulky clothing as when hunting. It also allows my bow arm to more naturally align with the target.

I believe that when drawing the bow and aligning the front and rear sights the front sight should naturally be pointed at the target face. If I find I must continually make right/left corrections during aiming, a very slight adjustment in foot positioning is all that is required. Then, choosing the correct elevation pin and proper alignment of peep to sight housing becomes the only major concern when sighting.

B: Position of the knees becomes the next skeletal focus on our way upward.
Military folks have known for generations that the locking of the knees restricts circulation and promotes poor ventilation of the blood stream. It is not unusual for military personnel to pass out while at attention for extended periods of time. People just plain forget to breathe!

Slightly flexed knees with relaxed leg muscles make it much easier to stand on the line without fatigue. Another benefit is while paying attention to the knee/leg/muscle alignment; one also tends to be made more aware of weight distribution between the two feet. It always amazes me how I tend to favor my left leg when not paying attention.

Even weight distribution combined with relaxed leg muscles makes for a very stabile platform upon which to set your hips.

C: Hips, yes I said hips. I had the opportunity to see my posture one day while shooting from my deck, in front of a sliding glass door. What a shock! Gut hanging out, shoulders hunched and hips in front of my knees!

By looking at myself, I found that by starting from a slightly bent over position and then straightening out and focusing on hip placement, I could get everything back into alignment. It felt strange at first (50+ years of bad posture is tough to correct in one afternoon) but with a few weeks of focus things became more natural. I also found that by concentrating on holding my lower abdomen and other parts in, the hip alignment became much easier to maintain. Even today, if I haven’t practiced for a day or two, when I pull everything up, my back actually pops!

The main point here is to construct a strong, resilient, stabile platform from which to launch arrows.

D: The last part of this is spinal alignment. I incorporate this into my hip alignment process.
I imagine a string attached from the center of my hip sockets, running up through my back and out the top of the back of my head. Then I try to pull this imaginary string from above my head.
It is striking the difference seen when looking into that glass door!

Now, we have built my superior “launching platform”.

The next post will cover drawing the bow.
…and you thought is was just hauling back on the string!

I know this was a long post and to many of you this information is not needed.
I am constantly striving to improve and do not have the luxury of a coach so I thought I would toss this out for others to ponder.
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter can not be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.”

Col. Jeff Cooper

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand