collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Typical Skok Mess  (Read 15415 times)

Offline 1morebuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Team Hood Canal Hookers
Typical Skok Mess
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:47:28 PM »
Well, after a slow start to bear hunting in the Olympics we decided to check out the Skok to see how the kings were progressing. What I saw made me flippin' sick! (Again)

As some of you know there has been drastic changes to the rules on the Skok (mouth caught fish only, no fishing on Mondays above the hwy. 106 bridge, only retain fin clipped kings), which is good and will help control the issues the WDFW has had there. Yes its Monday, so I was just scouting the area where Purdy Creek dumps into the Skok (I call it a$$hole). Upon arrival I noticed no less than 40 chrome-bright kings laying up against the log. As my hunting buddy and I pointed and looked at the nice fish here comes this white Dodge and one local "tribesman" and a "friend" who was as white as me (thats white!), carrying what looked like bottom fishing poles with treble hooks the size of my fist.

You guessed it... SNAG FEST 2010. These idiots put the waylay on three kings in 15 minutes and then had the nerve to ask me if I wanted to buy one. Here was my response:

No thanks guys, I prefer to treat our natural resources with respect and dignity. If I want one, I will come back down here and float some eggs or throw a spoon rather than rip a three inch hole in the side of my fish. I don't want to ruin my fillets.

Wow that pissed em' off. Along came the "F@#K YOU white boy" and "We'll snag every F@#KEN one of em' before tomorrow"

Gee, our tribes sure do know how to treat our natural resources with true respect and uphold their tribal heritage, I commend them as once again the tribes show their true colors. And yes, I have seen this before and no it's not just a select few, at the next hole down (called the Guard Rail hole) there were two more "tribesmen" treating their beloved Chinook the exact same way.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
Re: Typical Skok Mess
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( :bash: :bash: :bash:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline huntinhick

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:32 PM »
Well I live about 10 minutes from that very whole and refuse to fish it at all for the same reason.  My daughter and I were at the logjam hole just around the bend where the walkin gate is,  and a guys and his family come out on the res side and he poles his boat right into the hole and checks his net.  he threw back 3 dead fish that where not legal while checking it,  my daughter (12 at the time) got to love her made the comment,  "dad as pale as that guy is I am more indian than he is" this is also the same girl who went she had to go to school on the skok res told the little girls on the res that were picking on her "that even though she had indian blood in her family she was american" got to love it when a kid understand something like that! any way we all but quit fishing that area because of the abuse oh and don't forget on net days they will net all the way to the hoodsport hatchery and the will surround the entire hatchery with nets.  anyway sorry to rant on your post!

carl

Offline 1morebuck

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:20:52 PM »
Well I live about 10 minutes from that very whole and refuse to fish it at all for the same reason.  My daughter and I were at the logjam hole just around the bend where the walkin gate is,  and a guys and his family come out on the res side and he poles his boat right into the hole and checks his net.  he threw back 3 dead fish that where not legal while checking it,  my daughter (12 at the time) got to love her made the comment,  "dad as pale as that guy is I am more indian than he is" this is also the same girl who went she had to go to school on the skok res told the little girls on the res that were picking on her "that even though she had indian blood in her family she was american" got to love it when a kid understand something like that! any way we all but quit fishing that area because of the abuse oh and don't forget on net days they will net all the way to the hoodsport hatchery and the will surround the entire hatchery with nets.  anyway sorry to rant on your post!

carl

That is one smart daughter you have there. If you are looking for a good spot on the Skok where you do not have to deal with the tribe, or many other fishermen, PM me and we can talk.

Kelly

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »
Not sure too much of the rules for the rez, but all that they are doing is legal?
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:46:25 PM »
Not sure too much of the rules for the rez, but all that they are doing is legal?

dont matter to them if its legal, but ya thats within there rights. although i thought they had to stop using treble hooks cause guys in the hatchery were having problems with it

Offline spike

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
I know what a mess the skok can be after fishing it for the last few years. Does anyone know how many of the kings are fin clipped? I can't remember ever catching one with the fin missing. I hope the hatchery started marking fish a few years back.

Offline 1morebuck

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
Hound, they are not supposed to use the treble hooks, but they are! >:(

Spike, I catch quite a few fin clipped kings on the Skok, but the unclipped ones are not native, so I do not know why they are putting that restriction on. :dunno:

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »
I think I might go check out the zoo tomorrow before work.

Actually, I hope there aren't too many people in the spot I like to fish Eggs.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 07:19:06 PM »
i'd rather see the tribe snagging them than wiping it clean drifting gillnets downriver.

of course us "white guys" have to get our act together before we can point the finger at them.  i don't think there's 200 different indians that snag fish on that river, there's probably 200 white/black/brown dudes down there ripping on a typical august or october day any more.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »
Film our native caretakers and offer it up to youtube and the local media.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline winston2789

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline chevysquid

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 07:51:00 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if we could keep a film crew on station every day to document these SOB's.  Not sure if the news would even be interested, not really news anymore.  I bet that if you could get faces, fish, gear, and license plate numbers the fish and wildlife guys might be interested though.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if we could keep a film crew on station every day to document these SOB's.  Not sure if the news would even be interested, not really news anymore.  I bet that if you could get faces, fish, gear, and license plate numbers the fish and wildlife guys might be interested though.
No they wouldn't. WDFW can't touch them.

Offline Antlershed

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 08:11:56 PM »
i'd rather see the tribe snagging them than wiping it clean drifting gillnets downriver.

of course us "white guys" have to get our act together before we can point the finger at them.  i don't think there's 200 different indians that snag fish on that river, there's probably 200 white/black/brown dudes down there ripping on a typical august or october day any more.
And I'd be willing to bet that number is probably low...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal