collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd day  (Read 2145 times)

Offline 840dc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
2nd day
« on: August 03, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »
Well it was the second day of the season and i headed into the mountains around 130 and got to the spot i had been scountin at around 4. so i hiked up to the top of this clear cut and started glassin. It was about 200yards or so to the edge of the cut and I thought i saw a bear layin down a little ways in the timber but wasnt sure since my eyes do play tricks on me :chuckle: anyways i thought i saw a snout and some movement but wasnt sure. so theres a huge draw infront of me so to keep the wind in my favor i move up and around the draw and have to work my way back down to get a better look. when i get over there maybe 30 min later takin my time and tryin not to make to much noise threw the brush i get to a pile of cut timber and stop and listen and here some twigs snapin and brush movin. so i drop my pack and get on the pile to take a look and there they are a sow and 2 cubs my heart was pumpin :drool: I had  them inside 50yards and they had no idea i was there. Anyways she was prob around 200 or so and had a sweet chocolate brown coat and i  had several chances at taken her, and it would have been an easy shot.. But of course I didnt cause of the cubs but it was tempting especially since it would have been my first bear..I watched them for like 20 more min till she move up and around and winded me..ahh it was crazy those cubs got so close to me it made me nervous but it all worked out and i was stoked. I am new to huntin started last year at deer and this is my first year bear hunting. I guess i learned how much self control i really have it was hard for me to pass on that bear  :rolleyes:

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
Re: 2nd day
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 12:47:58 AM »
just got word tonight my buddys girl friend got a big ol boar tonight at about 8 pm i will see if i can get some pic. i guess they had it on a 200lb scale and it peged it but the cell pic looks close to about 250 275.

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:46:21 AM »
i know how you fell same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i got my first bear. found a huge sow up a drainage, watched her for a while decided she was in range got in the scope, soon as i clicked the safety off and got my finger on the trigger jr. popped up. was real hard to pass took me two more weekends to get one

keep at it, its a long season and sounds like you have a good spot

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 01:48:34 AM »
You made the right choice, not a lot of folks these days would let her pass.  Congrats!

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 09:06:20 AM »
good choice, and a very successful day. keep at it.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
Had the same thing happen last year, spotted a bear from a mile away with the spotter, and decided to make a stalk on it, well about an hour later I found A big ole sow and she was being trailed by two little fur balls, I watched them play around for awhile, yeah I didn't get a Bear that day but I did get the satisfaction of watching them fart around and knowing theres more bears in the woods for later years.

Offline 840dc

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »
That was my thought too.  :'( I was happy with my decision and it was  good practice and a good experience.. :o

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal