collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youngin wants a mule deer!  (Read 7305 times)

Offline shag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Youngin wants a mule deer!
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:29:19 AM »
Hey guy's not lookin for anyone honey hole.  Just wondering if someone can offer a few pointers in a direction that I can take the kid (14 yr old).  Right now he dosen't care how big a buck he shoots!  He just wants to see deer and kill a legal buck.

So Id' like to find an area with lot's of deer!  Neither of us have never shot a mulie.  I like the bruiser's and will only shoot a big boy.  But this year ain't about me. It's about the boy!  Hopfully he will at least  draw a cow tag for elk.

Like I said he's not after a monster. He's just after a legal buck and you know kids, they like to at least see lots of critters.  Thanks for any help in advance!

CD
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Youngin wants a mule deer!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:53:56 AM »
If you have connections or are a good salesman, hunting around the Klickitat on all of those grain fields are fun and productive.  Lots of deer, and the farmers tend to want them off of their land. Not to mention, grain fed venison is pretty good.  I hate asking for hunting, so I tend to hit alot of public ground.  Just about anywhere in the Methow will get you into deer.  Lots of Forest and stateland.  It can be a circus, but there are lots of deer. (not as good this year as in past) but still has large numbers of oppurtunities.  If Colville is your game, there are some oppurtunities over there, but again, like the Klick, it has lots of private ground, and over there the folks tend to safeguard or not allow hunting as freely as down in Goldendale.  I'm unsure of all of the youth hunts, but know there are some oppurtunities for kids to have better shots at deer than the rest of us.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 06:57:56 PM »
I'm within a couple hours of Goldendale.  I might be able to get some preseason scouting done.  Thanks for the methow suggestion.

CD

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:05 PM »
Put him in for the youth drawings and give him an oportunity. even an antlerless draw gives the youth some success and can help the herd.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:48:34 PM »
does it have to be a mule deer for him or would a whitey do??
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 02:27:28 PM »
If you guys want to see deer head to Winthrop.  Everyone else will be up there also, but at least there's a lot of deer.  Also in and around Twisp with places like Beaver Creek or Benson Creek....lot's of deer around there.  All depends if you want to hunt with a crowd or not. 

I also agree with the special youth permits.  There's gotta be some decent ones for youngsters left.  Good Luck to you guys.

Offline Craig

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 03:22:33 PM »
Put him in for a Youth antlerless tag in any of the units around winthrop. Some on the units have 50% - 90% draw success for the youth tags. Hunt the regular deer season and if you don't find a buck he want he always has the choice to use his permit and take a doe on the last day.

If you don't know the area just find a place with a good vantage point and sit and wait for people to push the deer to you.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 09:11:46 PM »
Yes a whitetail would do!  Thanks for all the suggestions!  He also like's the idea of doe tag!  He's got the fever bad.  I tried to shake him when he was six.  I took him elk hunting with me and left the hot coco and donuts in the truck.  Drug his skinny like butt in and out of hell hole's all day in the pouring rain.  I never broke his spirt that day.  Truth be known  I finanily told him about how I better get him to the truck cause if I get him all sick and wore out his mother would have my hide!  I lied, I was wet tired and cold and I wanted some hot coco and donuts.  I'll never tell him that of coarse. :chuckle:

He has also displayed some tracking skills that I don't have.  One time when he was 9 I got a little out ahead of him looking for an elk I'd just shot with my muzzleloader.  I turned around and relized he wasn't there.  I walked back to where I first found some blood.  He was about 30 yards the oposite direction on his hands and knees turning over leaves looking for sign.  A half hour later he found a drop of blood the size of a nickle on the under side of a leaf.  I might not of found that cow with out him.

Thanks again guys :)

CD

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
CD...in eastern wa there are 2 different youth seasons where the kid could shoot a whitetail doe,northeast wa or southeast, over the counter depending on where and when. there's a million whitey does over where i hunt and if you want to go down to the blues in the southeast, pm me and i'll give you some directions. in the blues, he could also take a 3 pt or better whitetail or mule deer.
this would be a typical legal mulie that we see every year. my buddy took his kid out this year to tag along on the hunt with us and took this deer.

again...let me know if you want specifics on the southeast and based on what i seen this past weekend, i'd guess odds of killing a whitetail doe on the public land would be good.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 08:13:27 AM »
If he would be satisfied with a whitetail doe head to the NE corner of the state, a good option for a muley doe would be the Buckrun ranch, if he drew a tag it would be a good hunt with zero competition and the deer aren't spooky at all.  There are plenty of them out there as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]