collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pasayten Sept. high hunt  (Read 8827 times)

Offline heavy08

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Pasayten Sept. high hunt
« on: May 29, 2007, 12:18:24 PM »
2 friends and I are going into the Pasayten in Sept. for the early high hunt..
I am looking for any info......tips, concerns, experiences...etc for up in the area...
Unfortunatly, I will have no time to scout up in the area but i am licking my chops as I stare at the maps...its such a big area....we are going in for 9 days....
Thanks

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Pasayten Sept. high hunt
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 12:25:17 PM »
Any specifics like on horse or on foot, or which entrance you intend on going, or how far in, or which general region you intened to hunt.

Overall generalizations I can tell you its usually a beautiful time of year, but can be nasty in a heartbeat.  Make sure you pack for all conditions without breaking your back.  You won't necessarily see alot of deer as they are scattered over a huge area with them being in pockets, and take a bear tag with you if shooting one of them would interest you.  More bears were killed the last two years from outfitter camps than deer.  I assume you are going DIY and not with a drop camp or something like that.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
He said in a previous post they're doing a drop camp with Early Winters. So, that would be the western part of the Pasayten, and also the steepest and wettest. I would say count on snow, and hunt as high as possible. Also bring a slingshot for grouse. Take lots of pictures. You'll have a lot of fun. My brother and I did a drop camp in there two years ago, but we were way east of where you'll be, so I can't help with any specifics. I just know there were a lot of hunters, and we would have been better off if we had planned to hunt in country farther from the main pack trails.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 01:00:09 PM by bobcat »

Offline heavy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 07:09:49 AM »
Bobcat is right....we are doing a drop camp with Early Winters.....We are going in at Hart's Pass....Thanks guys.....Again Im spending time looking at maps with very little knowledge of the area....

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 08:55:36 PM »
there will be 30 rigs minimum at hearts pass, but it is the best of the passy. I have hunted iron gate and 30 mile and hatrs holds more deer, more hunters and more deer. expect night temps in the 10-20 degree at worst, snow is typical, wind can be pretty nasty too. scenery is un real. the sucess rate is less than great, but it is a fun hunt. I would be as far away from the main trail as possible.  take lots of batterys for you camera.

good luck

Offline Kent Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 04:24:31 PM »
You will have a blast!! Not a whole bunch of deer but if and when you do see deer, then be patient. You do have a chance at a bruiser buck if you play your cards right. I've hunted those hills for fourty years. Listen to Boneaddict also. He knows the area.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:33 PM »
30 trucks thats a lot. I thought the area that I hunted was crowded but dang 30 rigs at one trailhead, thats alot. 

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:42:34 PM »
30 trucks thats a lot. I thought the area that I hunted was crowded but dang 30 rigs at one trailhead, thats alot. 

understand that there will be guys just inside the boundary hunting on foot, to guys 20 miles in on horses. there are a bunch of rigs, but there is a lot of dirt too.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:34 AM »
There isn't very many trailhead access areas into all of that country.  There will be bottlenecks at any of them.  Lots of outfitter trucks, horse trailers, DIY guys etc.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 08:22:11 AM »
There is alot of country up there, I've been up there in the summer, lots of great looking basins for sure.  Less than 3 months till this years edition of the high hunt. I can't wait.

Offline provider

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »
Quite a few years ago I counted 77 vehicles from the Ranger cabin (Harts Pass) to Slate Peak!  The easy access there is no secret, but once inside the boundry there's lots of room to spread out.
"A greater appreciation for the outdoors and the hunting experience."

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 10:33:50 AM »
The day before the high hunt opens I will be on the road to NM for that elk.  Anyone feel sorry for me for missing this years version........I didn't think so. ;)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:38:17 AM »
POOR YOU....
tee hee hee

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline heavy08

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 02:20:47 PM »
Kent hunter....you say " not a whole bunch of deer "   Do you mean "shooters" or deer in general....I have heard this before but it was my thinking that they migrate down out of the Pasayten...etc.   Thanks

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 03:14:11 PM »
During the high hunt the deer can be pretty spread out, the density per mile up there is considerably less than in the lower country.  I'm guessing he meant number of deer but it could also be shooters as well.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal