collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Which method of carying your side arm do you like best??  (Read 114106 times)

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Which method of carying your side arm do you like best??
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2010, 03:59:36 PM »
You can open carry while bow hunting or need a CCL to carry it under your coat or shirt.

I use a pancake type holster,cross draw.It has a retention strap so it won't fall out when you crouch down to hide,or you just sit down.

I tried it on my suspenders,but it was too heavy for them.I did like where it was though.I would guess ,if you could attach it to your pack strap,it would work better.

Not completely true, you can carry a sidearm concealed without a CPL while bowhunting or engaged in any other lawful outdoor activity.  Please read # 8 of the exceptions rule.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline FC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2010, 04:07:03 PM »
Good grief I even bolded that part!
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline J Snow73

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline LittleJohn

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »
My Badlands 2800 has a built in holster on it. It worked great in Montana.

Offline mjbskwim

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2010, 10:25:25 PM »
Good grief I even bolded that part!

Good for you.Proud of you too.
Guess I'm just stupid huh?Even though I have read to laws many times.

What was I thinking even trying to keep up with you guys?

Funny how many lawyers and holier than thoughs there are on line.
Must be nice never making a mistake huh?

OK I'm done being a bitch for tonight. :hello:

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2010, 02:04:20 AM »

Good for you.Proud of you too.
Guess I'm just stupid huh?Even though I have read to laws many times.

What was I thinking even trying to keep up with you guys?

Funny how many lawyers and holier than thoughs there are on line.
Must be nice never making a mistake huh?

OK I'm done being a bitch for tonight. :hello:

I guess I must be missing something here, there was an ongoing discussion, I rooted out the appropriate RCW's and bolded the pertinent exception. Two posts later someone (you) post an uninformed opinion and I answer it with true disbelief only for you to answer back that it made your butt hurt to find out you were wrong?

I certainly do make mistakes and I own up to them....You should try it next time with a little better grace.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »
The thing is 95% of gun owners and hunters have no clue this exception exists.  I would say for the non-gun toting public it would be 99.9% have no clue this exists.  Heck I imagine 90% of the Law Enforcement community is ignorant of this as well.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Snapshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 08:27:17 AM »
skwim,
Don't take it personally. This handgun issue has been watched, hashed and re-hashed over the past couple of years and some of the guys know it inside and out. If questions don't get asked, nothing gets learned.

My point-of-view on the question has always been that I don't need a holster because I don't need a sidearm.
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

Online Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2011, 11:26:53 AM »
I use the BlackHawk Special Operations Holster.  It's a tactical thigh rig with a flap to keep crap off of/ out of the gun.  I carry my 17-L in it and it fits perfectly.  The only issue I have had was due to the extended mag release on the gun - when you bent over or leaned just right, the mag would eject.  I cut the mag release down to normal size, and problem solved.  The flap secures up, out of the way with velcro if you want and there is a retention strap to keep the gun secure.  There is accessory pouch on the leading edge of the holster that you can keep an extra mag in or a flashlight like I do.  I don't even notice that I have it on when out and about.  I am in the habit of checking to make sure all is in place after I crawl through or over something, or have to jump down off of something.

You can see a bit off it in the pic with the "Supervision".

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:58:13 PM by Cylvertip »
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline GreatWhiteHunter

• Hunter
  • Is it September yet?
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
OWB on the front of my pack waist band. Its quick draw McGraw for me. Saved my butt, maybe even my life last season when I ended up between a sow and her cub. I spooked em in the brush, cub ran straight at me (could have kicked it) and momma was about 10 feet behind it coming straight at me! Drew fast and fired one off into the ground when the sow was inside 10 feet. She put the brakes on and turned left. If I would have had to fumble to get to my sidearm she would freight trained me. Then another one popped out of the brush, and they both tree'd up. I checked my shorts, and thanked my lucky stars.

And oh yeah, cross draw.
I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission!

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »
Good post FC.  When I fish in a place I have never gone before and I am by myself.  Hunting by myself is important as well.
275 down 2

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 10:54:39 AM »
  When I fish in a place I have never gone before and I am by myself.

I recommend a stainless gun or one you don't care about but still trust. I've discovered that most wader pouches leak  :chuckle: and my fishing partner seems to think its pretty funny when I pour water out of my pistol's barrel after fishing.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline True Sportsman

• Scout
  • Bat Bat Bat Wings Fangs
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »
I cruised timber for the last 5 years or so. I was in the woods almost everday. I had a pistol with me everyday. I grew to hate a shoulder holster because it got in the way all the time. (I was carrying a 6" Stainless 629 Smith, 44 mag).

The holster I ended up really liking was the Alaskan guide holster. I ended up carrying a 10mm Glock in it and it rides in the center of your chest. It is easily accessible and doesnt get in the way of a pack at all. (That is the most important plus of it.) The thing i dont like is having to wear a vest or jacket when I choose to conceal it somewhat.

For hiking in the woods with a pack, the guide holster is the best setup Ive found. They even work with my binocs on a harness. The binocs just sit right below the holster when hiking.

Offline Jayfire83

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:39 AM »
Nothin more comforting than the old 44mag at the hip!! And for any of you that are interested in carrying in the other states legaly i have Utah CFP classes! Good for 32 states. Just pm me.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2011, 04:02:56 PM »
I am relatively new to hunting with a bow, this will be my first season carrying a pistol 357 S&W while in the field bow hunting. Any suggestions would be great as I am confused about the best holster etc!!! I usually have on a pack with a waist strap and a pair of binoculars with a shoulder harness as well. What do you feel is the most comfortable and accessible holster???

Getting back to the original question. I guess I would have to ask what pack you are using.  Some like Blacks Creek have very good straps for hip holsters.  Shoulder holsters are out of the question for me both because of shooting archery and comfort with the pack on.  I like tactical thigh holsters while I'm backpacking, but I'm not sure of anyone making a good one for revolvers.  (would love to hear from someone if there is)When carrying my 686 I had to modify a tac' to carry well on my leg.

Maybe take your pack into a store with a good stock of holsters.  Then you can see how compatible they are with your setup.  Just make sure the holster you choose locks the gun up good.  Last thing you want is to ruin a hunting trip looking for a lost sidearm.  No need to repeat my mistakes.

Good luck!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]