collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HUGE RAM  (Read 8479 times)

Offline GoldTip

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: HUGE RAM
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 02:09:40 PM »
That is a helluva a ram and not to take anything from the hunter, cuz that is some extremely rough hunting where it was taken.  But I thought to "keep" the subsistence hunters being "subsistence" that AK had mandated that all skulls be split of animals that are taken with subsistence tags?  Is that just for Moose or am I mistaken on this rule?
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2010, 09:47:00 AM »
That's a stud ram! Keep us posted if you get more info!

Offline bearhunter99

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
Goldtip.
I don't think that it is truly a "subsistence" hunt.  I also don't think there are any grandfather clauses.  From what I understand the unit is only open to current residents of the area, much like you cannot apply for a Cordova moose hunt unless you live in Cordova.  My brother has been thinking of taking a job on the North Slope, two weeks on-two weeks off, so that he and his wife could live within the boudaries and have no commute.
RIP Colockumelk   :salute:

"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

Genesis 27:3
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison

Offline blacktailer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 09:46:27 AM »
Sincs we're discussing Huge Dall's and Natives.  There is a place up in the Yukin Territory called Kluane National Park.  A few years back, the Kluane Nation made some sort of deal that allowed them to give out a raffle and a Government-type tag.    There are some incredible sheep out there and it is thought by some, that if the world record is to be broken, the ram will come off the Kluane.  I think that tag sold for either $170.000 or $180,000 a few years back and the guy shot a 45 or 46" ram.  I think everyone thinks about places like Thompson Falls and Missouri Breaks, MT or Cadomin, AB when they think of high dollar Governors sheep tags.  Who would have thought a Dall would fetch that kind of $$$
"A lazy man works twice as hard"

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 01:35:25 PM »
The year after Jim Anthony killed the 180 ram on the Kluane that you are referring to, another hunter bought the permit at WSF for $310,000.  He took a low 160's ram.

Offline blacktailer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2010, 02:00:57 PM »
Thanks for the info ramslam.   $310,0000 seems like a lot of $$$ for a low 160's ram, but he's got a low 160's ram on his wall and I don't.  Must be quite an area. 

Offline ramslam

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 02:23:45 PM »
My guess is they did not think it was that "small" of a ram.  For that cash I would think there was an expectation of a book white ram.  Quite possibly the most difficult NA big game animal to get in the B&C book right now.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 02:29:17 PM »
Sincs we're discussing Huge Dall's and Natives.  There is a place up in the Yukin Territory called Kluane National Park.  A few years back, the Kluane Nation made some sort of deal that allowed them to give out a raffle and a Government-type tag.    There are some incredible sheep out there and it is thought by some, that if the world record is to be broken, the ram will come off the Kluane.  I think that tag sold for either $170.000 or $180,000 a few years back and the guy shot a 45 or 46" ram.  I think everyone thinks about places like Thompson Falls and Missouri Breaks, MT or Cadomin, AB when they think of high dollar Governors sheep tags.  Who would have thought a Dall would fetch that kind of $$$

I have been thereand there are a butt load of sheep.

Offline blacktailer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
  Quite possibly the most difficult NA big game animal to get in the B&C book right now.

I agree 100% with the exception of the Atlantic walrus and Jaguar of course.  Just don't see or hear of many these days making that magic 170 mark.  Don't matter how much $$$ you have either unlike a lot of other species making the books these days.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal