collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does anyone know how the drawing system works?  (Read 3779 times)

Offline shanevg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/shanevg
Does anyone know how the drawing system works?
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »
So I have a question about the drawing system and I am wondering if anyone can answer it.  As far as first, second, third, and fourth choices go, how do they distribute the draws?  Do they pick everyone's first choice in every hunt, then move on to second choices, drawing among only the tags that are not used in the first drawing?  So for example, they draw all the first choice Pearrygan deer late season hunts, and then if all the tags are filled up by first choice applicants, then anyone who applied for second through fourth choice has not chance.  Or do they enter everyone into all of their choices, and then if someone happens to get chosen in two of the drawings, they give them their highest choice?  Or is it some other way?  Any ideas?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Does anyone know how the drawing system works?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:45 PM »
they pull a name...they check your first choice. if it's not full, you win. if it is full, they check your second choice, if it's still available, it's yours....and on and on till they get to your 4th choice. if they get to your 4th choice and you haven't gotten a hunt, you are  a general season hunter like me.
the more times your name is in the kitty, the sooner the odds of them pulling your name, but everyone has a chance.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:26:31 PM »
Well said Jackalope, thats why there are certain tags you are guaranteed to NEVER draw on your 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice. 

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:37:08 PM »
Well said Jackalope, thats why there are certain tags you are guaranteed to NEVER draw on your 2nd, 3rd or 4th choice. 

Actually, from what I understand of how jackelope explained it, it is always possible to draw your second third and fourth choices.  So correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand jackelope's explanation.  For all the moose tags for example, every hunter who has a moose application is in one giant drawing.  They then draw names, the first name to get drawn will get his first hunt choice and so on.  Say on the 60th draw, they draw a name and the hunter's first choice is full, but his second choice is not full, he will get his second choice.  But if they draw that hunter 60th, and all his choices are full, he gets no moose permit and they will draw another name, and that next person is still able to get his moose permit if one of his choices is not yet full.  So if for some odd reason, all the less sought after moose tags were filled first (by some freak of statistics) the premiere moose hunts could still get taken by a third a fourth choice, it's just highly unlikely.  But if this is true, does that mean they do not separate people out by hunt choices.  So for one moose hunt, the regs say that 10,000 people applied, but are they still all in the same drawing as every other moose hunt? 

Thanks

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 08:45:50 PM »
it's always possible, just some are extremely un-probable...is that a word?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 08:47:04 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline bowhuntin

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 09:25:32 PM »
This is straight from the FAQ on WDFW Website:

Q: How do the hunt choices work?
A: When the drawing occurs, it is as if all of the applications for a species are placed in a barrel. The computer spins the barrel by issuing random numbers to each application. The lowest random number that is issued to each application is the number used to order the applications from the lowest random number to the highest. It is the same as drawing cards from a barrel one by one. The application with the lowest random number is drawn first from the barrel and the hunt choices are checked. As each application comes up for consideration, the first hunt choice is checked to see if there is a permit left to be awarded. If there is none left, the second hunt choice is checked. If there is a permit available for that hunt choice, the application is selected for that hunt. If not, the process continues until all of the hunt choices on the application have been checked. If all of the hunt choices marked on the card have run out of permits, no permits are awarded to that application.

I would assume they break it into what weapon like all archery elk tags in the same barrel, all rifle guys, and all muzzle loader guys.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:51:03 AM »
So if for some odd reason, all the less sought after moose tags were filled first (by some freak of statistics) the premiere moose hunts could still get taken by a third a fourth choice, it's just highly unlikely.

Perhaps Never was a strong word to use but like you said it would take a freak of statistics for this to happen.  And highly unlikely to ever happen. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »
I still wish the state would limit it to ONE choice.  two at most.  Anyone make recommendations in order to improve draw odds, should include that tidbit.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
I still wish they would increase the cost to play.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline Shannon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
I wish they would have a second drawing for left over tags that all the idiots that put in for a hunt and then don't even hunt. They would have to change the system though to have you call to get your tag sent to you instead of automatically mailing the tag to you. I am tired of seeing only 50% participation in some of the premier hunts that I put in for. If you are not going to hunt if you get the tag don't put in for it. It makes the odds pathetic for the guy that really want to hunt with that tag.

Offline shanevg

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »
I would like a higher application cost for the OIL hunts, but I don't think I would like it if they limited it to one choice per hunter.  If they were going to do that, I hope they would at least allow hunters to accumulate points for the other two options.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 01:51:19 PM »
WRITE the WDFW with your compliants and ideas, I did about a month ago and got an email back saying they are looking at potential changes to this.  The more emails they get the better chance something will actually happen.  I'm with Bone, they need to limit your choices, I think two would be ideal.  Prior to these bonus points you got 1 choice.  Thats it. 

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 04:00:23 PM »
  just two words for you -  they dont!!!!

Sage

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
I still wish the state would limit it to ONE choice.  two at most.  Anyone make recommendations in order to improve draw odds, should include that tidbit.
:tup:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal