collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new traps on the way  (Read 5809 times)

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
new traps on the way
« on: September 08, 2010, 07:15:47 AM »
Im excited to try these cage traps,a take off of Stacy Yancey,s
www.cagingbobcats.com/index.php?page=13

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Re: new traps on the way
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »
Those look nice.  Cant wait to see some pics and stories from this season.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 04:26:54 AM »
recieved my traps yesterday,painted them, and now the wait...Ive marked some trails that the bobs have been using,now to get them trap ready,I hope I can nail a bob or two.By next week I should recieve all that I need as far as tools and such for the whole process of trapping and putting up my hides.

Offline nontypical176

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:32:40 AM »
Well those are some cool traps.  I live in a 5 acre suburbia, everyone owns 5+- acres for miles around me.  Makes things tough to hunt, but I have a little stream running through my property and have set traps there before with little success.  Too many pets runnin around to use snares and such.  I'd really like to see how well those traps do on coyotes.  And I just told myself I was never ever gonna use my VISA card again.....thanks a lot.

Do they really need painted?
Whats your secret bait?
If you don't mind me askin.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:38:55 AM »
Well those are some cool traps.  I live in a 5 acre suburbia, everyone owns 5+- acres for miles around me.  Makes things tough to hunt, but I have a little stream running through my property and have set traps there before with little success.  Too many pets runnin around to use snares and such.  I'd really like to see how well those traps do on coyotes.  And I just told myself I was never ever gonna use my VISA card again.....thanks a lot.

Do they really need painted?
Whats your secret bait?
If you don't mind me askin.
they come with no paint on them,I paint them mostly to help conceal them from thieves..Im trapping far away from pets so im not worried about them.Cages are the only trap you can use here,unless you are a nwco trapper.Im only targeting bobs and beaver,yotes are useless here on the wetside pretty much..Beaver meat is a good bait..

Offline nontypical176

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »
The coyotes around my place are thick.  They kill most of the fawns each spring.  The does will hang out right next to my porch trying to keep coyotes away from the newborns.  Kinda funny, if I here howling at night, deer will be near my house in the morning almost every time.  Its bad enough the game has to deal with pets that are allowed to run free, but the coyotes here are rediculous.  I just don't have time to predator call.  I'd like to bring their numbers down to a more respectable level.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:16:39 AM »
shotgun them yotes

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
gps coordinates please, i have some good yote medicine  ;)
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »
gps coordinates please, i have some good yote medicine  ;)
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline nontypical176

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:17 AM »
Funny....I eliminate a half dozen or so anually since moving here, but it has made no noticeable difference.  The way property and hills are here, they move in and out of the area overnight.  The other thing I noticed..... the elk herd on rare occasions drop down into this area, and every time the elk are here so are the coyotes, following the herd constantly.  I don't know if they are actually taking down elk or they are just scavenging but coyotes most definently shadow the herd.

Real curious if these traps would be worth getting for yotes.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:59:58 AM »
Personally, I've never had as good of luck with drop door traps.  The light weight feature is sure nice though.  Have you ever tried to make your own drop door traps?  Fairly easy.  Good luck this season!

Offline BlackRidge

• Mmm tag soup..
  • Sourdough
  • WildGame Deterrent
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
 :chuckle: Arent yote problems more of a blessing around here?

You'l always find 10x peeps who are willing to help remedy the problem at the drop of a hat

:hello:
Theres plenty of room for all of gods animals.... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:07:57 AM »
Personally, I've never had as good of luck with drop door traps.  The light weight feature is sure nice though.  Have you ever tried to make your own drop door traps?  Fairly easy.  Good luck this season!
no havent made them,if I owned a welder I would make some.the heigth weight and the low profile pan I really like.Stacey Yancey ws the master at trapping with this trap,God rest his soul.sure wished I coulda bent his ear some..But Mercer is a great cager also,and it seems he likes the style quite well.I just gotta get them in it.This wet side country is challenging...

Offline CastleRocker

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »
Those look great Rasbo.  Thanks for the link.

I built a couple cage traps with a guillotine style door, and they definitely work well.  I've caught a lot of racoons, and every dog and cat that sets foot in the trap.  I have had a couple 'coons that I am unable to get though.  I have been setting it with both of my homebrew trail cameras set up so I can film the process.  These last couple racoons are smart.  It's kind of a funny process though.  They find a way to get the marshmellow/peanut butter bait, and so I modify the set, and they find a different way to get the bait.  I've had several opportunities to just shoot them, but then I wouldn't learn anything else. 

I think I'm going to buy a couple sets from that outfit. Wish I knew you were going to buy a set Rasbo, last I saw on here, you were looking for a welder to buy.  If anyone wants to go in on a couple more sets, we might be able to save a couple bucks. 

Work to live, don't live to work.

You can educate away ignorance, sober up drunkenness, but you can't fix stupid.

Offline rasbo

• Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
Those look great Rasbo.  Thanks for the link.

I built a couple cage traps with a guillotine style door, and they definitely work well.  I've caught a lot of racoons, and every dog and cat that sets foot in the trap.  I have had a couple 'coons that I am unable to get though.  I have been setting it with both of my homebrew trail cameras set up so I can film the process.  These last couple racoons are smart.  It's kind of a funny process though.  They find a way to get the marshmellow/peanut butter bait, and so I modify the set, and they find a different way to get the bait.  I've had several opportunities to just shoot them, but then I wouldn't learn anything else. 

I think I'm going to buy a couple sets from that outfit. Wish I knew you were going to buy a set Rasbo, last I saw on here, you were looking for a welder to buy.  If anyone wants to go in on a couple more sets, we might be able to save a couple bucks. 

try laying a garbage can on its side and put the cage in that so they cant move anything and have to enter the trap,or something like that..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal