collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Moose scouting  (Read 10686 times)

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
Re: Moose scouting
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
AK, wouldn't heat up till the first frost, seemed like Sep 15-20 was Prime Time and open for business. 

Offline high country

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Mt Spokane area has some good moose.  If you aren't equipped to pack them through some thick steep terrain, lower your sights and take one on the road.  Brickle Creek is good, no great.  Thompson creek is OK.  There are some open areas on ridges you can glass from the roads.  That is wher eyou may find the real big boys.  The Boise land north of Blanchard hump road has quite a few moose too.  It is mostly walk-in though.  Good luck.  I'm still accumulating points (16 and counting, or is it 17 now) 

how would you suggest hunting brickel? the snowblaze property composes what the park does not, by the time you get to inlands land they tore out the bridge and dozed the old road to the lake and it is now so over grown a dog would have to back up to bark.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2010, 08:55:49 AM »
one more thing to be dang careful of in the mt spoko unit is the scattered park land in there, they own a zillion little bits of land and they are 100% off limits.

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2010, 03:10:20 PM »
Time to bring this back up.  Got the trailer on the truck, and ready to head to Spokane.  Gonna see some big bull moose this weekend!  Taking the wifes camera and will hopefully post pics on monday.  Looks like the weather is just right and they should be out.  Maybe I'll get lucky and see a bear.

Today is my birthday.  My wife got me the Kodi pack knife set from out door edge.  She wants me to cut that moose up with good equipement.  My son got me a great Remington head lamp - he has hunted with me long enough to know - well'll be skinning after dark at least once this season.

The mornings are cool and the first red is showing on the shoemack - get ready boys it is about to begin!!
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline buckhorn2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2010, 03:17:38 PM »
Sounds like your ready hope you get a nice one we will be waiting for the story.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »
Good luck, I know last year, Oct 1 couldn't come soon enough for me!
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »
OK so here is the story.   HAD TO  RUN AWAY FROM A BULL MOOSE!

Got up there Sat morning.  found a clearing and saw a bull right off.  He was wide. wide palms lots of points on the palms.  after like  seconds a shooter for sure.   And only 100 yards.   We went through the draw and saw a baby bull.  THEN nothing the rest of the day.

So Sunday came.  It was raining.  We went back to where we  had seen the bull on Sat morning.  I dec ided to try calling.  Now I am no Jim Shockey keep this in mind.  So we pulled up into the clearing and waited a few minutes after turning off the truck.  We got out and glassed through the mist.  Then I tried calling.  MMMaaauuggggghhhh as loud as I could.  Did that about 4 time is about 3 minutes.  Then we heard AAAAuuggghhhh.  AAAAUUUggghhhhhhh! And horns racking on brush.  This went on for a few minues and we dicided to walk down the road to get a better look.  We saw the bull about 125 yard across the canyon on the road.  He was trashing the trees.  Then he saw us.  So I MMMAAaaaauugggheeed again.  He turned, waved his head and started right for us.  We took off running.  In about a minute he was right where we were looking for the cow.  He kept callling and thrashing the trees.  He was ready to mount whatever was around and I wanted no part of that!

We guessed him about 44-46 inches wide - not much mass but a shooter??  A Great weekend in  Mt Spokane!

Getting closer and I am ready to kill a bull.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
That's great! Good luck on your hunt. Time is getting real short. I'll be up next weekend for the last scout before game time.

Offline pat2bear

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
Sounds like you guys are having a blast. Can't wait to see what you end up with. Make sure to give me a taste of some moose meat. Good luck Vic!  ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]