collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can You Spot Light Coyotes?  (Read 19020 times)

Offline texasbuckmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Can You Spot Light Coyotes?
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:15:51 PM »
is it legal to spot light coyotes in Washington?
"Life's hard its harder if your stupid" John Wayne

Offline duckaholic

• Hunter
RE: Can You Spot Light Coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 11:46:39 PM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00766/wdfw00766.pdf

1. Hunting with artificial lights:
Hunting BIG GAME with the aid of an artificial
light or spotlight is prohibited.

Night Hunting and Hound Hunting
During Deer and Elk Hunting Seasons
Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and raccoon seasons, EXCEPT that it is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night
or wild animals with dogs (hounds) during the months of September, October, or November in any area open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season. The use of
hounds to hunt black bear, cougar, bobcat, or coyote is prohibited year round except during commission authorized hunts.

gun control means use two hands

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »
Are coyotes considered BIG GAME?  I thought it is legal to spot light coyotes at night.  I was advised years ago that if you are going to spot light coyotes during modern firearm BIG GAME season you need to let the game department know ahead of time.  Although this was 14 years plus ago in Pullman.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline jayrod9528

• Longhunter
  • Team Maybe Next Time
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:59:23 AM »
The way I understand it is you can spotlight coyotes but not during big game season. You must also wear hunters orange if that big game area requires it.
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted..If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it. What he is after is having to win it, to conquer the surly brute through his own effort and skill with all the extras that this carries with it: the immersion in the countryside, the healthfulness of the exercise, the distraction from his job." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Antlerking

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
It is ilegel to shoot under spot light during a big game season! There is nothing saying that you cant drive around with a spotlight on, but I wouldnt advise it. If there is no big game season open in the area you are in then tear em up.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »
No they are not big game.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline mulehunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 09:09:35 AM »
I read Reg Rules. Look like I had to stop hunting Coons with hounds before Oct 16   :(  then start hunting After Elk Rifle Closed.  :) Possible use Spot Light Target Coon to Shoot down.  :chuckle:  I use my Helmetlight Attached with Belt battery instead Spotlight.
Spotlight is way too big Toy to use. Never used it.

Mulehunter    ;)

Offline sivart33

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
wait so that means i can night hunt till dear opens back up for modern firearm here in a week or so.

Offline BlackRidge

• Mmm tag soup..
  • Sourdough
  • WildGame Deterrent
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
Sure sounds like it
Theres plenty of room for all of gods animals.... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Re: can u spot light coyoted
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 12:34:54 PM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00766/wdfw00766.pdf

1. Hunting with artificial lights:
Hunting BIG GAME with the aid of an artificial
light or spotlight is prohibited.

Night Hunting and Hound Hunting
During Deer and Elk Hunting Seasons
Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and raccoon seasons, EXCEPT that it is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night
or wild animals with dogs (hounds) during the months of September, October, or November in any area open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season. The use of
hounds to hunt black bear, cougar, bobcat, or coyote is prohibited year round except during commission authorized hunts.

You have to read them very carefully.  Hunting coyotes at night with lights is legal.  They are not big game.  You CANNOT hunt them at night in Sept, Oct, or Nov IF the area is open to CENTERFIRE RIFLE for deer and elk.  Notice it does not say "modern firearms" it specifies "centerfire rifle".

If you are like me and live in a unit that is never open to "rifles" you can hunt coyotes as well as bobcats and raccoons in Sept, Oct and Nov but you have to also read the legal hunting hours rules on page 68.

*These are lawful hunting hours (one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset) for game animals and forest grouse (ruffed, blue, spruce) during
established seasons. Exceptions: (a) Bobcat and raccoon are exempt from hunting hour restrictions during established bobcat and raccoon seasons except
when that area is open to modern firearm hunting of deer or elk, hunting hours shall be one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. (b) Hunting
hours for falconry seasons (except migratory game bird seasons) are exempt from these hunting hours, except on designated pheasant release sites.

Notice that there is an exception to the hunting hours for bobcat and raccoon but it does not mention coyotes.   :dunno:  This section now says you cannot hunt bobcats and raccoons at night WHEN that area is open to MODERN FIREARMS HUNTING OF DEER AD ELK.  Notice is says "modern firearms" and not "centerfire rifle".

What does this all mean?  It means, IMO, that you cannot hunt coyotes or bobcats and raccoons at night, in most units, during Sept, Oct and Nov unless that area is closed to centerfire rifle.  I say that because the regs say "IF" the area is open to "CENTERFIRE RIFLE" not "when".  

Am I way off?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:44:46 PM by Kain »

Offline BlackRidge

• Mmm tag soup..
  • Sourdough
  • WildGame Deterrent
Re: Can You Spot Light Coyotes?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 03:34:19 PM »
I dont believe you are.. (well said). I do think they made it far more confusing that it ever needed to be though

I'm all for making sure precisely worded regs are made available, but if theyre too precise, they end up doing more to confuse people, than act to clarify. ...Maybe they should just write the regs like we're all beyond stupid  :P
Theres plenty of room for all of gods animals.... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Offline mjbskwim

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 12:57:37 AM »
Notice that there is an exception to the hunting hours for bobcat and raccoon but it does not mention coyotes.   Dunno   This section now says you cannot hunt bobcats and raccoons at night WHEN that area is open to MODERN FIREARMS HUNTING OF DEER AD ELK.  Notice is says "modern firearms" and not "centerfire rifle".

There isn't a season for yotes so they state it by the coon and bobcat seasons.
So if you are in a centerfire legal area during elk and deer season you can't light em at night.
But if you are in a 'restricted weapon' area (shotgun muzzy and archery) you can light em all year
And if  your centerfire legal area is closed for deer and elk you can hunt at night.
 :dunno:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
If your using a spotlight at night, have a PREDATOR CAll. That's what the local game warden says.  :twocents:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline sivart33

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
Notice that there is an exception to the hunting hours for bobcat and raccoon but it does not mention coyotes.   Dunno   This section now says you cannot hunt bobcats and raccoons at night WHEN that area is open to MODERN FIREARMS HUNTING OF DEER AD ELK.  Notice is says "modern firearms" and not "centerfire rifle".

There isn't a season for yotes so they state it by the coon and bobcat seasons.
So if you are in a centerfire legal area during elk and deer season you can't light em at night.
But if you are in a 'restricted weapon' area (shotgun muzzy and archery) you can light em all year
And if  your centerfire legal area is closed for deer and elk you can hunt at night.
 :dunno:

shotgun=modern firearm, does not say anything about centerfire gun.  it says modern. so during archery/muzzleloader season you can but during any area that is open during deer/elk season don't even try. 

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 09:41:53 PM »
If your using a spotlight at night, have a PREDATOR CAll. That's what the local game warden says.  :twocents:

I cant find that in the regs. I go by the black and white book that they are suppose to enforce by. What idiot what make a coment that you have to have a call to spotlight. Just dont do it during a big game season, plain and simple.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]