collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can You Spot Light Coyotes?  (Read 19021 times)

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
Re: Can You Spot Light Coyotes?
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:43:55 PM »
Not cool.  Taken the wrong way i assume but not cool.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »
If your using a spotlight at night, have a PREDATOR CAll. That's what the local game warden says.  :twocents:

I cant find that in the regs. I go by the black and white book that they are suppose to enforce by. What idiot what make a coment that you have to have a call to spotlight. Just dont do it during a big game season, plain and simple.

Straight from the Game Wardens mouth is where that came from. And : suppose to enforce by. is a good one. The call is to prove ? you're hunting coyotes at night ??? Ya got me. :twocents:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:47:49 PM »
Reread the simple question posted. Can you spotlight Coyotes? It asks nothing about who, what, where or when. Yes you can spotlight coyotes. :beatdeadhorse:

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 11:05:48 PM »
You don't need a predator call, could care less what this or that enforcement officer "thinks" is needed or not.  Plenty of bobcats, coons, fox and yotes have met their demise by a lip squeak or a kiss to the back of your hand.  Some of these guys crack me up, from LEO's who teach RCWs and don't have a clue what the laws says to guys making stuff up on their own.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 06:59:15 PM »
You don't need a predator call, could care less what this or that enforcement officer "thinks" is needed or not.  Plenty of bobcats, coons, fox and yotes have met their demise by a lip squeak or a kiss to the back of your hand.  Some of these guys crack me up, from LEO's who teach RCWs and don't have a clue what the laws says to guys making stuff up on their own.

Exactly... :)

Offline nontypical176

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »
Thank the WDFW for clearing that up and clarifying the rules for us...............Its almost my favorite thing.....Late muzzle loader, spot a bull coming out to feed before dark, walk in the next morning before light, see some a-hole running a spotlight for "coyotes and such", walk back to my truck and thank the WDFW for all the great things they do.  Happened twice last year.  No you can't spot coyotes any more dang it.  Tell everyone its closed until Dec 16.  I call B.S.

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
Thank the WDFW for clearing that up and clarifying the rules for us...............Its almost my favorite thing.....Late muzzle loader, spot a bull coming out to feed before dark, walk in the next morning before light, see some a-hole running a spotlight for "coyotes and such", walk back to my truck and thank the WDFW for all the great things they do.  Happened twice last year.  No you can't spot coyotes any more dang it.  Tell everyone its closed until Dec 16.  I call B.S.

So the way I'm reading your post is that a-holes shouldn't be able to enjoy their type of legal hunting until your done with yours?  :dunno: Sure it's an unfortunate incident, last year we called in a big bull elk within 50 yds and was about to seal the deal when a grouse hunter came up a old road about 290yrds away on his wheeler, all we needed was about 20 more seconds, last we saw of that bull. Got to take it in stride
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:32:20 PM by Big10gauge »
[smg id=6490]

Offline nontypical176

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 05:42:39 AM »
Why do modern hunters get the special privelage of no spot lighting during their seasons?  The right thing to do and the easy way to clear up any confusion is to not allow spot lighting during any general seasons.  People out hunting coyotes and such have other methods they can use during daylight hours.  I cannot hunt elk/deer at night.  Spot lighters can cover a lot of ground and spook every big game animal for miles back into the brush before dawn.

Don't get me wrong I hope everyone enjoys "Their type of legal hunting" but the rules shouldn't be so twisted that its got to screw up other seasons.  I go out spot lighting critters on occasion, but never during a big game season.  Just isn't right IMO.  Besides there are plenty of poachers out there and its pretty easy to say a deer or elk that was shot at night was taken during the day.  "I'm just out hunting coyotes"...............Yeah I bet all the lights we see during our M.L. elk season are just hunting critters......Not a chance.  Just giving poachers less of a chance at getting caught.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 08:03:53 AM »
Limiting hunters methods and opportunities because someone might break the law is terrible for all of us.  We fought this same flawed logic for archery and MZ hunters to carry sidearms for protection.  They just knew we were all poachers trying to get away with something. Once you get rid of night hunting during general seasons are you going to go after predator callers or hound hunters?  I mean they are out there making all sort of noise and ruining your hunting grounds.  And those pesky bear and small game hunters are out there with RIFLES during archery and MZ.  Cant have that, after all they are probably just poachers, right?  Got to make it like the new cougar rules.   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

It is no wonder we are all loosing opportunities in this state when we have every different user group turning against the others.  Sometimes we are our own worst enemies.  I think they closed night hunting, during modern firearms, due to safety concerns not for special treatment.  Just like hunter orange is required only for modern firearms.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:08:26 AM by Kain »

Offline BlackRidge

• Mmm tag soup..
  • Sourdough
  • WildGame Deterrent
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »
Why not just avoid all the drama and confusion and get a night vision scope???

Theres plenty of room for all of gods animals.... right next to the mashed potatoes!

Offline prkrgrp

• Tracker
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2010, 05:17:51 PM »
is it legal to spot light coyotes in Washington?
stay on private property and you should have no problem, with permission, any other time  it's a crap shoot whether you can be fined or not. don't take the chance,
fair chase public land

Antlerking

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2010, 05:55:54 PM »
Yep definatly illegel :)  I would not do it at all, just stick with hunting the daylight hours and I will take care of the night hunting! :)  many of dogs and cats have died under the power of my spotlight, for 2 months out of the year we destroy em from 10 pm to 6am . We have been stopped plenty of times and never had a ticket, or anything, just the occasional (be carefull and have a good night).

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »
Yep definatly illegel :)  I would not do it at all, just stick with hunting the daylight hours and I will take care of the night hunting! :)  many of dogs and cats have died under the power of my spotlight, for 2 months out of the year we destroy em from 10 pm to 6am . We have been stopped plenty of times and never had a ticket, or anything, just the occasional (be carefull and have a good night).

:yeah:
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2010, 06:28:07 PM »
Why do modern hunters get the special privelage of no spot lighting during their seasons?  The right thing to do and the easy way to clear up any confusion is to not allow spot lighting during any general seasons.  People out hunting coyotes and such have other methods they can use during daylight hours.  I cannot hunt elk/deer at night.  Spot lighters can cover a lot of ground and spook every big game animal for miles back into the brush before dawn.

Don't get me wrong I hope everyone enjoys "Their type of legal hunting" but the rules shouldn't be so twisted that its got to screw up other seasons.  I go out spot lighting critters on occasion, but never during a big game season.  Just isn't right IMO.  Besides there are plenty of poachers out there and its pretty easy to say a deer or elk that was shot at night was taken during the day.  "I'm just out hunting coyotes"...............Yeah I bet all the lights we see during our M.L. elk season are just hunting critters......Not a chance.  Just giving poachers less of a chance at getting caught.

You can still spot light during modern firearm seasons. You just can't hunt while you do it. So that kind of nullifies your argument. They are still getting spooked during modern too. Especially elk season.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline nontypical176

• Scout
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2010, 07:09:43 PM »
I'm not going to argue the way I feel about spot lighting during big game seasons, I know lots of big game hunters that feel the same as me but everyone has their own opinion.  I do know that lots of hunters want to put meat on the table though.

One thing about lights during modern season I know to be fact..............My uncle and cousin were coming out of the woods one evening and seen a suspicious looking buck, not moving and just didn't look right.  Suspecting he was robo deer they decided to snap a quick picture of him and before they could drive off the wardens popped out into the road and wrote them a ticket for Harrasment of Wildlife.  My uncle went to court and the charges were dropped.  Don't know if the camera or his truck headlights qualified for the harasment but they were sited none the less.  That was 2 years ago in region 5.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]