collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods  (Read 18307 times)

Offline FC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: opinions on "flossing" "catch and relase" and other fishing methods
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
good to know. You must need some damn good visibility to pull that off.  So how would you rate the east coast salmon vs west coast?

I do it best with NO visibility believe it or not except I don't jerk the line across, if you know how to tickle fish then you will have a pretty good feel for effectively flossing and ALWAYS hooking them inside the mouth too! If you can see the fish they can see you, move to a spot where you can't see them anymore and try but the only jerk that should happen is when you actually set the hook.
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 12:19:45 AM »
The guy in this video does not approve of flossing!!

Episode 17 - The truth About the Sockeye Fishing on the Fraser River 

I wonder what your guys thoughts are on this. 
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 12:43:04 AM »
That dude cries like a bitch and needs to get a life! I love it when I hear people crying about this *censored*, flossing fish is a skill that I have spent years developing and I employ it effectively on salmon in fresh water.

I don't understand why people like that dude cry so much about it, maybe they can't figure it out for themselves? Regardless, some people have way too much time on their hands if they can sit at home and worry so much about what other people are doing that like it or not falls within the rules.

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2010, 12:46:42 AM »
funny how he says show your face, and he never shows his.

:dunno:   
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
Ha! Maybe he is ashamed?

Offline CallMeBigPapa

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 09:15:58 AM »
All you  need is a 3/4 ounce sliding float, a 3/4 ounce inline weight, a bobber stop set at the right depth, a 30" leader and a fresh gob of cured eggs to catch every fish willingly in the mouth. It's alot more gratifying for me to take a willing biter on gear and bait I did myself. Salmon and steelhead alike will easily fall prey to this setup. For steelhead I'll substitute the heavy float for a dink float and switch over to pencil lead for weight. I'll deploy this setup with eggs or pink worms for steelhead. Salmon it's pretty much eggs. I'll also have a spinner rod ready for fishing the slow flats, coho will crush a spinner as will kings.

Tony 270

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
Where is the hooked in mouth option for the poll? I didn't pay a lot of attention and assumed gill plate forward meant legally hooked fish.

As for flossing, who is to say that it is flossing if it is in the mouth? Is fishing corkies considered flossing? How do you know it didn't go after it and bite it?

Don't know much about flossing or fishing with corkies (I'm mainly jig or eggs in the rivers), but what is the real difference if you can't see the fish and one is hooked in the mouth? How can you call it one thing for sure?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 10:43:26 AM »
good to know. You must need some damn good visibility to pull that off.  So how would you rate the east coast salmon vs west coast?

Size
Taste
Run size
Difficulty to catch  all that good stuff.
Lake Ontario salmon are different. They never hit the salt water. They also don't eat in the rivers at all. It's all a lifting or snagging show. The run size isn't even close, you're talking about 1 lake, a huge lake, but 1 lake with salmon runs in several rivers. There's a lot of fish but nothing like we have here. The taste is good but not as good as ocean fish. They taste like boots from the river but they're fun to catch and some get big. My biggest king was 48#.

I do it best with NO visibility believe it or not except I don't jerk the line across, if you know how to tickle fish then you will have a pretty good feel for effectively flossing and ALWAYS hooking them inside the mouth too! If you can see the fish they can see you, move to a spot where you can't see them anymore and try but the only jerk that should happen is when you actually set the hook.
Right...no vis. You feel the fish and they almost swim into the line if you do it right by upstate NY standards. It almost feels kike you're getting a bite.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Tony 270

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
It almost feels kike you're getting a bite.

So if it feels like you're getting a bite, and it is hooked in the mouth, how do you know it wasn't a bite? Might have attacked it, bit it for whatever reason.  :dunno:

I'm new to all this river stuff so have a lot to learn. One thing I can't stand already is the blatent snaggers. Cast out, jerk! Cast out, jerk! And every single fish is foul hooked. They toss them back, but still...

The line I love is, "Are there any cops around?" Why? Did you come down to snag them and plan to keep them?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »
I love it when I hear people crying about this *censored*, flossing fish is a skill that I have spent years developing and I employ it effectively on salmon in fresh water.

you're a huge tool.

spotlighting deer is a skill too.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
It really does feel similar to a bite, it takes patience and finesse while using a very sensitive setup to do it right. If you [/i]really[/i] know the fish well you will be able to distinguish between dorsal, ventral, anal or tail fins as well as the feel of your line riding against teeth. It takes practice and loads of patience to avoid foul hooking fish.

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
I love it when I hear people crying about this *censored*, flossing fish is a skill that I have spent years developing and I employ it effectively on salmon in fresh water.

you're a huge tool.

Thank you for your cry baby opinion! Spotlighting deer isn't even comparable to flossing fish and I think everyone knows it.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
It almost feels kike you're getting a bite.

So if it feels like you're getting a bite, and it is hooked in the mouth, how do you know it wasn't a bite? Might have attacked it, bit it for whatever reason.  :dunno:

I'm new to all this river stuff so have a lot to learn. One thing I can't stand already is the blatent snaggers. Cast out, jerk! Cast out, jerk! And every single fish is foul hooked. They toss them back, but still...

The line I love is, "Are there any cops around?" Why? Did you come down to snag them and plan to keep them?
I am talking about upstate new york, specifically the salmon river, where it is perfectly legal to do this, at least it was 15 years ago, the last time I did it. Nothing illegal about it whatsoever. I know it wasn't fish biting because all we used on the hook was a small orange plastic egg.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:02:38 PM »

you're a huge tool.

Thank you for your cry baby opinion! Spotlighting deer isn't even comparable to flossing fish and I think everyone knows it.
illegal is illegal.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:48 PM »
In AK the only way to fish for sockeye is flossing unless you dip net :chuckle: I'm pretty good at it with silvers also. When you have thousands of fish its the way to go!
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:48:15 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]