collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasant populations  (Read 19568 times)

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Pheasant populations
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2007, 07:23:57 AM »
You can have his dogs charged with trespass and if it continues they will have them impounded:)
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Slenk

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »
boneaddict
You do need to report this to the Game Dept. .
I know that it unlawful to let you birddog run loose in this maner or let a dog hurrass game animals .
Slenk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
These new age farmers sure need to start practicing the methods their folks did

I think in some, if not most cases, these guys are doing what they can to feed their families. i guess i'm not a farmer, nor do i claim to know much about farming, but what i do know is there's less and less money in it every year. they are more concerned with putting food on the table than keeping the pheasant populations up unfortunatley...scraping for every red cent they can. more and more land goes to CRP every year over in pomeroy which is good for wildlife and hunters, and i believe it's some guaranteed money for the farmers every year. BTW these would be dry-land farmers i'm tlaking about. no corn. one farmer i know in the southeast had to hire on people to farm his land so he could come to western washington to teach an AG class this year due to lack of $$$.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 08:58:40 AM »
They are paying taxes on it, I would use it too.  It doesn't do them any good to have birds that all they do is damage their crops, especially deer.  Thats why many farmers around Davenport and so forth allow hunters to come and harvest deer.  They are so hard on their wheat crop etc.  I bet we as in the ones that make our living elsewhere love to come and enjoy the fruits of their labors though. 

sisu

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 06:39:06 AM »
Last couple of days I have been avoiding a couple of roosters that seem to like playing dodge the truck. They get in the low run position and scoot across the road just in the nick of time.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 06:41:06 AM »
Reach out and grab a tail.  They are just going into their molt.  Keep an eye on them and you might get yourself some fresh fly tyeing material.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 07:29:43 AM »
For you guys in Eastern Washington:  how do you think the pheasant population is going to be for hunting season this year?  Are you seeing more pheasants than last year? 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 08:56:23 AM »
Not seeing very many hens with chicks, but the weather has been pretty good for them.  We have gotten some rains (devastating on babies) but I think the timing was good.  Quail are onto their second brood already with a pretty good first hatch.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 10:43:39 AM »
I'm not sure if I'll go pheasant hunting this year.  My dog gets sore real easy now that he's 12 and if there aren't a bunch of birds I just might not go.  I don't think I want to hunt him for more than 2 hours a day.

I might just have to go a few times to the Western Wa release sites (even though I really don't like hunting birds on this side of the mountains). 
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Shadow Cat

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 01:39:40 AM »
Bone, I don't know about Washington, but in Arizona, if you raise livestock (this includes birds) and animals attack, harm or kill, you have the LEGAL right to kill the animal. A livestock inspector can be your best friend or your worst enemy depending on what side you are on. I shot many dogs growing up. Two of the dogs belonged to a neighbor who happened to be a deputy warden at the local prison. He thought he was going to strong arm my family for me shooting his dogs and called the sheriff. I called the livestock inspector and he straightened out bothe the sheriff deputy and the bozo neighbor. Funny, I never saw another dog at his place after that...

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2007, 06:48:05 AM »
Its amazing how things just disappear out in the Wenas.....no paperwork, no problem. DAMN coyotes must be eating everything. ;)

Shadow Cat

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »
I like coyotes... they eat EVRYTHING!!!

sisu

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »
For you guys in Eastern Washington:  how do you think the pheasant population is going to be for hunting season this year?  Are you seeing more pheasants than last year? 
I've seen a lot of birds where new town, Spokane and I believe the only way to possibly hunt them with land owner permission is by bow and arrow. I spoke with a fella who's land I wish to hunt and he told me the populations don't look promising...he might be saying that just ot get me off his wish list though. That particular area is do south of me and not in an area that would limit shotgunning.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
eastern wa pheasant hunting on public dirt is always tough, the private land hunts are hit and miss. we are losing a ton of land to the rich lease *censored*s that find it better to line a pocket then ask for permission.....oh well it was good while it lasted.

I have a piece of land that I have hunted for 17 years, I am good friends with the land owner and we visit all year. last year he, for the first time ever, leased his land to a hunt club. I asked for permission and he told me he had leased it, but would ask the manger for an exception...nope. for 2 grand sure. I tell you what, when a local guy can't hunt local land it kills me. I asked if I could simply walk 1/2 mil through his place to access a landlocked section of state land and same deal......nope.

he appologized and said the $$ they offered was too much to resist. the truly sad part is the hunting was so-so but it was only 10 minutes from home. now some wealthy microsoft schmuck drives all day to hunt in my back yard for 40 grand a year, he could have hunted for just the effort of asking.

sisu

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
I just had a friend call me to tell me of 1000 acres for sale asking price was 480,000 dollars. Some friends of mine and I have been toying with the idea of a limited access community. We are all former Alaskans that are tired of neighbors close as hand, etc. We are all outdoors people with a passion to be alone on a piece of land that offers 4 seasons. If it's in the right location a fella could raise some brood stock for hunting.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal