collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: west side blacktail habitat question  (Read 8449 times)

Offline webbspinner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: west side blacktail habitat question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:18 PM »
I know what you mean, I am looking for a spot to sit, timber or reprod?  any preference you guys have found , pros and cons maybe.  seeing alot of sign in the reprod, but very close quarters in there

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2010, 11:57:06 PM »
Timber!

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
Trying to "jump" a deer and then take pot shots at it as it bounds off is a stupid idea!  :bash:  That is the best way to wound and lose an animal IMO.  I have found that sitting and waiting in timber will serve you a lot better than trying to push them out.  You might find a bunch of sign in clearcuts but they were probably made at night or in the very early or late hours of the day.  

While I agree that pot shots are a bad idea, I spent many years pushing deer in the thick stuff.  Heard more than I saw, but I always ended up with a deer every year. I think it just depends on the area and your level of experience.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 11:14:33 PM »
Trying to "jump" a deer and then take pot shots at it as it bounds off is a stupid idea!  :bash:  That is the best way to wound and lose an animal IMO.  I have found that sitting and waiting in timber will serve you a lot better than trying to push them out.  You might find a bunch of sign in clearcuts but they were probably made at night or in the very early or late hours of the day.  

While I agree that pot shots are a bad idea, I spent many years pushing deer in the thick stuff.  Heard more than I saw, but I always ended up with a deer every year. I think it just depends on the area and your level of experience.
No doubt but there is a difference between pushing them out and jumping them.  If you push them right you can get them to move out of their hidey holes without them being at a dead run. If a buck is on the move but not flat out running or "bounding" off I see no problem with a competent person taking a shot.  I was thinking of the folks that I see at Vail shooting at a button buck running mach 5.   :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 05:50:24 AM »

While I agree that pot shots are a bad idea, I spent many years pushing deer in the thick stuff.  Heard more than I saw, but I always ended up with a deer every year. I think it just depends on the area and your level of experience.
No doubt but there is a difference between pushing them out and jumping them.  If you push them right you can get them to move out of their hidey holes without them being at a dead run. If a buck is on the move but not flat out running or "bounding" off I see no problem with a competent person taking a shot.  I was thinking of the folks that I see at Vail shooting at a button buck running mach 5.   :chuckle:
:chuckle:
I hear ya. Very subtle differences. I am thinking about the areas where you would never get a shot at Mach 5. Most times you never even saw the deer.....only heard a "thump" as it leaves it's bed. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal