collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pend Oreilles  (Read 2001 times)

Offline aaron42ash

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Pend Oreilles
« on: November 06, 2010, 12:41:50 PM »
Hey I'm new to the site and to the state.   I was sorting through the posts and noticed that most members on the West side of the state.  Any Eastern Wa. folks?  I planning to hit the P.O. this weekend and next.  Any news of birds up there?  If we don't score a few, we might head down to Rock Lake south of Cheney.  Any thoughts?

Offline bullseeker

• Hunter
Re: Pend Oreilles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
Its starting to pick up. been mostly local birds, but I bet the push is on from the North. With snow been forcast for middle of the week.  I hunt out of Cusik and head upriver towards Newport. Also might try the Newport end of Indian Island. there are blinds scattered all up and down the river. Good luck.

Offline aaron42ash

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:24:18 PM »
Alright I will give that a try.  Might launch the boat near Cusik then and just see what we see.  This is actually going to be my first WA duck hunt.  I have my own blind and decoys etc. So that shouldn't be a problem.  Is most of the shore of the PO like Roosevelt where public access is ok?  Thanks for the bit of info bullseeker.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
No, most of the PO is private ground.  There are some public sections, grab a map and find a slough to hunt.  I have started seeing a few new birds...any day now!! 

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
On the banks of the PO as long as ur below high water mark ur fine. Just don't hunt right next to someone's dock out of respect for them. Also like was mentioned indian island is pretty good, there's also a tiny little island pretty close to the bank on the west side of the river that we have set up on that we've had pretty good success on. It's probably only 30 yard's or so between the island and the bank. Had the best goose hunt of my life on that little island during a snow storm. Good luck.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 08:40:40 PM by goosegetter79 »
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline bullseeker

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:52 PM »
If you launch at Cusik make sure you head up river towards Newport. If you go down river it is the res and you need a Indian hunting license. i would try in front of the paper mill, there is a small creek that comes in and there is a blind there and also acroos the rive at the entrance to dead man or dead cow slew. Good luck and maybe post how you did.

Offline aaron42ash

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 11:11:24 PM »
Well...My first WA duck hunt went well.  Headed out to the P.O. early and set up.  We only had a few hours to hunt, but we all got some shooting in.  Mostly Mallards, a few Wood Ducks. We ended up shooting 7 on the day. Went though a box of shells though =)  good day with good friends.

Offline goosegetter79

• YAR Member
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:25:39 PM »
Good to hear! Where'd you launch out of and which direction you head? Many other hunter's out there?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" -Edmund Burke

Offline aaron42ash

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 10:11:38 AM »
Surprisingly there was only one other rig at the launch when we left.  I didn't hear much shooting, but there was a group further to the south of us that took a crack at some birds.  We launched from Cusik and went south and hunted from the boat on the corner of a small slough were we could find some cover.  We didn't go as far south as Indian Island, but I don't know the name of the slough or anything.  I'm still kinda dumb about WA...

Offline bullseeker

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Did you get some wood ducks or shots at some? I have yet to shot at any up there. Glad to hear you got some shooting in. How about Geese, see any or get any?
B.

Offline elkaholic

• Longhunter
  • Brokenleg elk
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:20 PM »
Sounds likle a great hunt! Good job!

Offline aaron42ash

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
Yeah we ended up with 2 wood ducks actually.  1 drake 1 hen...was shooting for the other drake, but she got in the way :(  It was really a surprise to see them though.  There were a few groups of geese that came and went.  They seemed to stay out from shore a good distance all day though.  Gave them a couple calls, but we don't have any goose deeks anyway...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]