collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Making us look bad  (Read 6012 times)

Offline 2dognight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Making us look bad
« on: November 07, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »
I hunt pheasant release sites.  I've seen plenty of people dis them for what ever their reasons are.  I've seen posts saying lots of bad things happen there.  Today was the first time I've ever had a bad experience.  MAYBE  it was the daylight savings time change, but I don't think so.  Two groups started early today at Stillwater unit.  With 2 minutes to go until 8, my son and I watched a guy shooting his first bird.  The other group had already moved through to the next field.  I shouted that it wasn't 8 yet, but he collected his bird and moved on.  Hard to impress good sportsmanship on my son when others our behaving this way.  What would you all do? Call WDFW?  Confront them?  Why can't we all just play nice >:(

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Making us look bad
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
A friend of mine had a talk with one of the Stillwater early hunters this morning.  This guy had started at sunrise and didn’t know any better.  My buddy calmly explained the rules to him, and that was the end of it.  I’m sure from now on he will wait like everyone else.

Offline Balladeer

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
Last time I was out at Stillwater, I had some folks wedge me out of my spot just before shooting time. I haven't been back since. I guess that's public land, huh? :dunno:

Offline 2dognight

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »
Thank your friend.  I've never had a problem before.  Everybody friendly and respectful. 

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:47:53 PM »
2 minutes before shooting time? Come on what is the big deal with that? Maybe his watch was off.

Offline 2dognight

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:53:46 PM »
He was already shooting.  That means he started hunting at least 5 min before. There is a start time.  If you can start 5 min early, then you can start 10 min early.  We were standing at the safety line waiting.  Why not him?

Offline 270Shooter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Oh I didnt realize that you cuold not be out in the area until a certain time. I've never hunted an of the west side so i didnt know.

Offline 2dognight

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:06:40 PM »
Sorry I'm a bit tense on the subject.  It's not just the time thing, but I really want my son to be a follow the rules because it's the right thing to do not a it aint against the rules if you don't get caught kind of guy.  Like his dad I suppose.  Maybe I'm a bit of a wonk.  The rules here are comlicated since the areas are so popular.  The busiest areas you have to pick odd or even days.  You can start at 8am on the 7th if you have odd days.  Everyone can start at 10.  If you have even days, you can start at 8 on the 6th, 14th etc.  All areas close at 4PM.  I would love to be able to hunt the east side on a regular basis.  There just isn't time.  I have a release site 20 min from home and I can be home for lunch.

Offline SpringerFan

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:25:07 PM »
I was out at Stillwater on Saturday for Ducks / Geese.

We came off a pond with a few Geese and a duck....went toward the bridge in the middle of the two fields to head towards the back. All of a sudden a guy is standing on the bridge with his dog. Orange vest on. At 7:45  >:(

That means he had at least a 10 minute walk to get there from either parking lot......

He asked if we had any luck. Said we did and it took everyhitng I had to not be an #$%hole to him.

Looking back, I whould have challenged him being there at that time.

Pretty sad as I hunt Pheasant there as well.

There will always be people who bend  the rules to get an advantage. At least I can sleep at night knowing I have never broke those rules and not pulled the trigger when that first flock of ducks goes up
5 minutes beofre start time.
We don't blame cars for drunk drivers......Why blame guns for violent people...

NRA, Pheasants Forever, WWESSC.....tried to join Washington for Wildlife.org but my IP is banned??? 

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »
it can suck. i have taken youth hunters out to release sites here in east wa. we have got there at daylight and there is people jumpin out of there trucks and shooting birds and starting hunting at first light :bash: drives me nuts some times. people don't always follow the rules. all you can do is be legit and know you have done the right things, and followed the rules.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline seth30

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • It's time to HUNT!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
Between the price of pheasant hunting this year, and almost getting my head taken off by a hunter at a realease sight last season, I have called it quits on realease site hunting.  I hate it when everyone is lined up right before 8, and here comes the late hunters, and then here comes there untrained mutts >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Rather be dead than cool.
Kurt Cobain

Offline SirSpencer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
What stillwater are you guys talking about? The one in the north snoqualmie valley area?
I hunt for peace of mind.

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »
Just north of Duvall.

Sorry, directionly challenged:

South of Duvall as the others pointed out.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:26:24 AM by CP »

Offline BIGINNER

• YAR TOWN CRIER *************
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 11:06:58 AM »
where do you find rules about what time hunting starts at release sites?  i had no idea there was such rules,  or are those rules just for west side?   i hunted a couple release sites this year,  but only after work, around 3 or 4 pm.  i hate releasi sites eather way,  but since this is my first season i gotta deal with it and look for better spots.
THIS MESSAGE WAS SENT USING MY TIME MACHINE.... SO THIS IS MY OPINION TOMORROW...

OH BY THE WAY. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO TURN ON CAP LOCKS ON MY PHONE... :IBCOOL:  :yike: :yike:

Offline CP

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 11:20:07 AM »
where do you find rules about what time hunting starts at release sites?  i had no idea there was such rules,  or are those rules just for west side?   i hunted a couple release sites this year,  but only after work, around 3 or 4 pm.  i hate releasi sites eather way,  but since this is my first season i gotta deal with it and look for better spots.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01016/wdfw01016.pdf

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU