collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Disgusted with Westside Elk Road Hunters!  (Read 19902 times)

Offline Practical Approach

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Disgusted with Westside Elk Road Hunters!
« on: November 08, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
I spend several days scouting elk on the westside this past week.  Found a couple of nice herds with bulls in them and was pretty stoked.  This was on Rayonier and Green Crow properties, which were all gated.  My hunting buddy and I spend hours riding and pushing bikes all over the hills scouting for elk to find the ones we did.  On the day before the season opened an Gabe Regard and a crony of his started using his keys to get behind the gates and drove all over the country side scouting for elk.  He wasn't working in the area, just scouting.  Well I was sitting on a elk herd watching them for the day and waiting for them to bed for the evening.  Well low in behold Mr. Regard came driving in on the herd that I was watching.  At first they just stopped the truck and glassed them for a while.  So I stepped out of my hiding spot and let them know I was there watching the elk.  They drove past me without acknowledging I was there and drove right into the herd of elk spooking them out of the area.  This crap pisses me off.  So now a perfectly laid plan is wasted.  

Then to top it off my buddy radios me telling me that there is another truck driving around scouting for elk as well. He is an employee of one of the timber companies and he has permission to hunt using his truck.  How is a guy to compete with that bullsnot.  These two timber companies disgust me with their lack of enforcement and key management.  I have seen in other forums where Tribes are considered poachers for not hunting by the same rules, well if this same argument applies, then these fat lazy jerks are poachers as well.

If the gates are closed forvehicle access, then they are closed for everyone.  No privileges.  I don't care who you are or who you work for.  If this ever happens to me again and I catch up to the truck parked somewhere, they will be buying a new set of tires for sure.  You have to be a pretty sorry sort of person to feel like you are owed the right to drive around shooting up all of the elk herds while others are abiding by the rules and working there asses off to do it.  

Anyone else run into this type of crap?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 10:31:27 AM by Practical Approach »

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
Re: Disgusted with Westside Elk Hunters!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »
Thats how it goes get used to it.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
Sorry to hear that happened.

It seems to me that the title of this thread could use some editing. Sounds like you're lumping Westside elk hunters all into the same group when 2 guys with keys screwed it up for you.
 :dunno:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:26 AM »
Thats how it goes get used to it.
Screw that, I don't get used to that crap I go other places. I learn my lessons pretty quick. Well usually.

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:04 AM »
While I agree with some of your points, it doesnt give you the right to do damage to another persons property. So I disagree with you wanting to pop some tires ........ but I do joke about doing it  :chuckle:

I have alot of areas that I dont hunt anymore because of employees having the right to drive in behind locked gates, it does suck putting miles on your feet and having a couple rigs drive right by all decked out in camo . What are ya going to do? Find somewhere else to hunt or kill the critters the guys driving in arent seeing.

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
While I agree with some of your points, it doesnt give you the right to do damage to another persons property. So I disagree with you wanting to pop some tires ........ but I do joke about doing it  :chuckle:

I have alot of areas that I dont hunt anymore because of employees having the right to drive in behind locked gates, it does suck putting miles on your feet and having a couple rigs drive right by all decked out in camo . What are ya going to do? Find somewhere else to hunt or kill the critters the guys driving in arent seeing.
More than likely I will find new places to hunt.  I also hate driving elk to roadhunters.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »
I try and do my scouting to find areas away from roads, for the reasons you mentioned.  The other evening I was surprised how many gates I saw opened out near Forks.  The other 50 weeks of the year they are locked shut.  I also try to find multiple places so I have my backup spot, and the spots where I can take buddies.  But I understand about having a good plan just ruined with no way to really improvise.....I just consider myself lucky when other people don't interfere with my hunting.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
FIFY

Offline chrisb

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »
This is why i don't elk hunt, and why i stay away from mod firearms seasons.

Offline steen

• Women's Board
  • Sourdough
Re: Disgusted with Westside Elk Road Hunters!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »
Talk to the game warden, it may be worth 10 bonus points!

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »
Employee access for hunting is just a perk to the job for most timber companies.  Just like someone working at Kinko's will get to make X amount of free copies, or how people working at most retail jobs get a discount on items purchased at the store.  I suppose if you want everyone to be on the same playing field hunt state land or something.  :dunno:

Or like JimmyHoffa said, get away from the roads.  I bike into the Vail Tree Farm during the week and bump into employees hunting nearly every time.  The only difference between they and I are that I get in the timber.

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:21:41 PM »
 :bash: Your on private property. Be thankful your allowed to hunt it instead of complaining about how the owners dictate usage.

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:50 PM »
Seems like one of the downsides of hunting private forest land. But thats just it they can do what they want with it. I would really be pissed if this was going on on public land, everyone should have a level playing field out there  :twocents:
Coastal Perspective.

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:26:19 PM »
I dont see a problem here, be glad the timber company is even letting you hunt there. If they have permission and they are allowed to use the truck why the heck would you not?

If you had 10,000 acres of your very own private land you going to pedal your bicycle around?

It is a privately owned forest, like said if you want everyone to play by the same rules than hunt public land only.
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Jerome

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
I dont see a problem here, be glad the timber company is even letting you hunt there. If they have permission and they are allowed to use the truck why the heck would you not?

If you had 10,000 acres of your very own private land you going to pedal your bicycle around?

It is a privately owned forest, like said if you want everyone to play by the same rules than hunt public land only.
Exactly

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal