collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk hunting in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest  (Read 23774 times)

Offline fishwhackin

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Elk hunting in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest
« on: November 10, 2010, 08:39:25 AM »
Looking to tag along at elk camp with some friends this weekend at elk camp.  Will be camping and hunting in the GP National Forest.  I will be kicking brush and looking for bear while they are out elk hunting.  Anyone happen to have any insight on good places (Not Honey Holes) in the GP to find more elk or bear than average?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  If no help, camp will still be fun and the weather is supposed to be nice!  Best of luck!

Offline Wazukie

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Elk hunting in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
best advice I can give you is to get away from the people.  there's a spot off the 9300 that has a slide across the road.  There has always been a lot of bear up in there but its a hike in  :)
Matthew 6:33

Offline fishwhackin

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:40 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I am definately looking forward to getting out and putting miles on the boots.

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 02:11:52 PM »
what part of the gpnf are you going to be in?

Offline fishwhackin

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »
All I know right now is that we are going to be south of 12.  Most definately willing to travel a bit to get to better places.  Just my second time ever going down there.  Got a weekend off and figure I will try to make the best of it!

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 02:27:04 PM »
The whole national forest is a really neat area and there's elk all over the place.  Just gotta find 'em.

Haha, great advice, huh? 
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline fishwhackin

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 02:52:18 PM »
Any advice that is legal and not going to get me hurt is good advice in my mind.  Pretty much going there to do one big hiking trip and if I get a bear down, mark it with the gps so I can come back for the trips to follow in order to get the rest of it out.  If I see any elk I will give my friends the coordinates to where they were at.  Small price to pay since I am expecting them to help me pack out a bear if I am fortunate enough to be given the opportunity!

Offline bowhunterty

• Longhunter
  • Hunt Hard or Stay Home!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:17:56 PM »
It will depend on how much snow is up there.

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:44 PM »
i was up there tuesday, snow level was about 2800 feet. above that there was about 4 inches of new snow just from the day. snowing hard. up near the junction of 25 and 99 it was slick and snowy. not many people were going further than that.

i didnt see any bear sign.

Offline fishwhackin

• Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 07:51:40 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I will probably try to stay at the snow line or little lower.  Figure the bears aren't too big into making snow angels.

Offline Thorny a$$

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »
This post kicks butt. Yes, I've been a member for awhile but haven't had much time to participate in this awesome web site forum. Wife delivered twins boys 2 yrs ago. We've been busy, to say the least. Daddy's, slowing gaining more free time...Pheww... talk about PATIENCE!! holy moly.
This thread kicks tail by the way.
I cannot wait for the Gifford National Forest hunting and exploring in the future with my sons. Fun for me of late has been confined to keeping my ol' Ford 4WD pick-up in working order, dreaming of future freedom. 

How is the 'brush factor'  in GPNF?
Can you walk off roads and trails effectively? I about convinced myself last fall cruising Weyerhauser and DNR land that it's about a waste of time walking off trails with all the tight tree growth, shrubbery and logging debris in W. WA. I grew up big game hunting in E. WA and having a tough time learning W WA big game tactics. I love E WA National Forest land, but don't like the regs and distance from home.

What are your thoughts on hunting traveling off roads (either closed or open) or trails? Is it effective? Is it safe? Is it wise?

I'm dying to learn more about GPNF forest in general & brush & tree factors.
Logging still going on? I've heard some reports from jaded hunters saying due to logging inactivity in GPNF, numbers have decreased and hunting is tougher?Truth to that?

Thorny a$$ out!

P.S.
Oh yeah,  I got a really bad fishing habit too! : )

Offline tshoote30

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 12:32:39 PM »
Well we just came back from the GPNF after a long week of hunting. we were up off the 65 camping at the horse camp just below Indian Haven. the timber is tough and sticking to the trails is not such a bad idea if you are not familiar. while we were there, just on the hill above us a fellow hunter headin up a rough trail and headin out into the deep dark got hinself lost and busted up his leg, BUT he was able to get his bearings from what i heard and was able to stumble down to a trail where he was picked up and brought back to his camp.
in the area we were at there was and has not been any clear cutting at all for wuite some time. the timber is TOUGH but there are a lot of elk up there just have to find them and be quick about making sure you have a legal one and a good shot. I seen alot of Cat tracks, bear tracks and bobcat tracks.
I saw alot of elk but could never tell if they were legal shooters, and could never really go after them because of the thick timber/brush, i could have been belly crawin and they would have been miles down the road. most everyone that i was and saw all headed up torwards the Indian haven area where alot of success from what i saw. when we left late last night we had about 4" of snow on the ground and there was about a foot up above.
this was our first year up there so we just were learning the land ect. my little brother got a nice little 4x4 opening morning and Almost a cougar but he got to excited and missed the shot.
not sure if that helps at all. good luck!

Offline RuttinWapati

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »
I did hunt the GPNF all the time up until 2-3 years ago, but the forest really grew up since logging operations completely stopped. The animals are still there, but you need to do your homework and pre season scouting. I hunted up around Timbered Peak and off the 64, Indian Heaven and off the 30 road for Elk. In some area's the forest service began thinning and that made it very hard to get thru let alone track animals. I would like to know when logging operations will start again. I know back when Clinton took office all the logging completely stopped. It's still a good area and if I hunted up there now, I would bowhunt Indian heaven at the placid lake entrance. Good luck too you and your boys.. Won't be long. Believe me they grow up to fast.

Just my  :twocents:
Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Thorny a$$

• Pilgrim
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 02:19:01 PM »
 It's sounding thick, brush wise ?

Offline tshoote30

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
It's sounding thick, brush wise ?

Yes very hard to get thru alot of the areas undetected. there are a few open areas that i was able to find BUT far and few between. the snow really helped to find the fresh tacks ect. but always led to a wall of nasty wall of thick brush....... I really hope they are able to do some logging up there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]