collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Black cougar.....  (Read 11112 times)

Offline uplandhunter870

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Black cougar.....
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 11:22:23 AM »
i as well would really like to see someone put this black cat down, not just for the fact of one less cat but would really be interested to see if its really a black cougar or if its a puma that has migrated north. have heard some theories about how the black pumas of more southern US/Mexico areas are expanding northward with the current thought of climate shift....i said thought of climate shift no verbage was borrowed from Mr. internet inventor Gore

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »
Melanistic cougars
There are no authenticated cases of truly melanistic Cougars. Black Cougars have been reported in Kentucky, one of which had a paler belly. There have also been reports of glossy black Cougars from Kansas and eastern Nebraska. These are known as the North American Black Panther (NABP). None have ever been photographed or shot in the wild, and none have been bred. There is wide consensus among breeders and biologists that the animal does not exist and is a cryptid. Sightings are current attributed to mistaken species identification by non feline experts, and memetic exaggeration of size.

rest of the article here

http://www.animalpicturesarchive.com/view.php?tid=3&did=25188

if you can prove they exist you just might become famous  :chuckle: kinda like the first guy to kill a wolf in the lower 48 famous ;)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »
i ive never seen any around here, but i heard there are quite a few in the bars and clubs out in tacoma

Tony,
You are talking about female cougars.  What do you call male cougars that Jackelope wants to chase?

OH he is gonna hurt you...better start running  :peep:

No. I am hanging my head in shame. I didn't see that one coming at all. All I did was open the door that he walked into. I can't blame him, I would have done the same.
With that said....if the area that these guys are talking about is where I think it is.....I will be there...hunting animals......with a rifle. Nevermind.
 :'(
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:25:37 AM »
i as well would really like to see someone put this black cat down, not just for the fact of one less cat but would really be interested to see if its really a black cougar or if its a puma that has migrated north. have heard some theories about how the black pumas of more southern US/Mexico areas are expanding northward with the current thought of climate shift....i said thought of climate shift no verbage was borrowed from Mr. internet inventor Gore

Isn't puma just another name for mountain lion or cougar??

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline fair-chase

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:04 AM »
Uplandhunter you might be onto something. I don't think it was the "climat" that pushed him up here it was modern firearm deer season that pushed him from florida to washington. :chuckle:

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »

yes

Offline uplandhunter870

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »

i was always under the impression that a puma was a black jungle cat such as a panther, i might be wrong i usually am told that i am atleast once a day. but i was referring to black panthers in that post

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »
The florida cats are the same color as ours.

Offline KNOPHISH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 11:47:36 AM »
It was probably a wolf or Vanessa Williams.
I have Man Chit to do

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 11:55:59 AM »
I agree.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »
My uncle got a trail cam pic of one in Louisiana about 5-6 years ago. Down there we just call them panthers. That goes for the tan and black ones...
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline Sneekee23

• Hunter
  • Is it September Yet?
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
Take a look at my friends web page at embrace the west, I believe that he has video footage of a black cougar. 

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
It was probably a wolf or Vanessa Williams.
Just waiting for the PC Police to show up. I love it! :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1