collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: staying warm in a treestand  (Read 14499 times)

Offline Snapshot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: staying warm in a treestand
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »
For the late hunt in the northeast (minus 24 degree wind chill expected there tonight!)  I'll wear 2000 gram Thinsulate rubber boots, sock liner, wool sock, expedition weight polypro underwear, wool shirt, wool vest, wool sweater, heavy wool pants over light wool pants, wool stocking hat under a fleece balaclava, fleece vest, wool scarf, wool gloves under insulated gloves with the flip-back mit (silence those f#*@ing magnets!), and an insulated coat. A chemical toe or hand warmer will be pasted on the inside of each thigh (between the wool layers, not against the skin) to warm the meat around the femoral arteries. Then I’ll sit/stand like a schoolgirl with my knees tight together and be toasty warm in -5 degrees for as long it takes for my hunting partners to get cold. I am hoping it won’t be above 32 degrees until after the season closes. IF it does warm up I’ll strip layers and add a waterproof outer layer, but I find that it gets harder to regulate temperature with that stuff on.
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

Offline Snapshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 03:01:39 PM »
How much and what kind of gear are you willing to leave at the treestand?
My tow lines.
I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking away rather than giving back to a principled way of life that has to be experienced to be understood. G.StCharles

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 05:07:41 PM »
 :yeah:
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
I purchased some Browning 1200 gr thinsulate boots in wide adnd also one size to big..so I can put on lots of socks if needed.one of the better things I have bought was a fleece face mask that had pockets inside of it for handwarmers..this is a great item to have works great.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2010, 09:55:12 PM »
damn, you guys are starting to scare me!   :yike:  maybe i should just sit in the living room of the landowners house with the tv on and wait for the deer to walk through the yard!  :chuckle: 

Offline DBHAWTHORNE

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Washington For Wildlife
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2010, 09:58:47 PM »
damn, you guys are starting to scare me!   :yike:  maybe i should just sit in the living room of the landowners house with the tv on and wait for the deer to walk through the yard!  :chuckle: 

haha...you will definitely want some different boots. The Mickey Mouse/Bunny Boots mentioned before are best. I also use Rocky Boots 1400 gram thinsulate deer stalkers with those hot hand heat insoles and toe warmers. I bought them 2 sizes too big. I wear a light wicking sock and a heavy sock and there is still plenty of dead air space. My biggest mistake used to be getting my normal size boots and wearing a couple pair of socks. There was no dead air space and it slightly restricted my circulation making my feet get cold faster.
The views expressed here are solely those of the author in his private capacity and do not in any way represent the views of  the Department of Defense or any other entity of the US Government. The Department of Defense does not approve, endorse or authorize this posting.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:38 PM »
yep.. too tight and packed in= cold feet

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2010, 05:36:28 AM »
I have overnight backcounty snow camped for many years, here are a few tips;

If your hands are cold, you do not have enough insulation around your core. Add layers to the midsection. Cold core body temps cause your body to go into survival mode. Your core cools only one or two degrees and your body starts reducing blood flow to your extremeties, hands, feet etc.... Add a down vest or parka to your attire...

Loose boots. Don't be a cheapskate and try to make other boots work for extreme cold conditions. There is a reason that 1200 gram boots are manufactured. Buy large enough for a loose fit over 2 layers of socks.

Proper hydration. I know you bow guys hate peeing from your treestand....but if you are not properly hydrated, you will get cold. Something about fluid volume in the blood and your bodies ability to metabolize nutrients....  When it is really cold out, it is really dry out too. Your body will attempt to keep your skin at the proper humidity level in the cold, and you will lose fluids as fast as you would when you sweat.  So, between normal respiration and your natural loss thru the skin..... you figure it out, you are dehydrated. Drink warm  diluted Gatorade or warm tang. Caffeine is a no no... as it causes constriction in your veins and reduces blood flow. Reduced blood flow = reduced heat to your toes and fingers...

Eat. Eat foods like cheese or salami, things high in milk fats or vegetable fats, they digest slower and help to keep energy (metabolism) up... Pasta noodles in some form are good too. 

Insulate your body where you are compressing layers.... IE: sit on a foam pad. Place a foam pad against the tree. When you sit, you compress your insulation and loose it's insulative value.

Cut the wind, Try to get a way to block wind. When snowshoeing at camp, we dig in deep into the snow to get out of the wind.... In a tree?  Quality windblocking clothing?

Good luck!
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »
The chick in that video is pretty damn hot. The wraps are a cool idea...but not all of of have the extra insulation up top/front.  :chuckle:  ...not that I am complaining.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline Sledd

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »
Lots of great ideas here.  One that I don't think was mentioned is spray your feet with odorless deodorant.  They will not sweat as much and dry feet stay warmer.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone ever put a heater in a ground blind while archery hunting?  Think it would spook the deer?  That's what I plan on doing if the treestand is too cold thursday.

As far as keeping warm, hot hands make a boot pad, kind of like a dr. scholls.  Work real well!

Offline magnus100

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »
Hello,
Boot blankets are nothing short of awesome. And the neck gator is a must for a long sit also. Hotties spread around in various pockets help also.
Mike

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2010, 04:45:13 PM »
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone ever put a heater in a ground blind while archery hunting?  Think it would spook the deer?  That's what I plan on doing if the treestand is too cold thursday.

As far as keeping warm, hot hands make a boot pad, kind of like a dr. scholls.  Work real well!

Buddy of mine from TX mentioned using a metal coffee can, roll of TP and alcohol as a heater in a blind.   Not sure if it was isopropyl or Denatured and not sure of how much.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10