collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: not haveing any luck.  (Read 1717 times)

Offline 243dk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
not haveing any luck.
« on: November 25, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
So I've been out calling prolly about 12 days since modern deer open. More since it has been closed. I've been going to spots were family members have had luck before and im seeing alot of sighn. At this point I think its just me. Been going out around the sedro woolley area. Low lands and foot hills. I have a fox pro with a wide selection of predetor calls downloaded on it. I've been doing a mix of the pro and moulth calls. I've been calling for about 45 min to an hour. Out of all those times going im yet to call in a dogs. My sent is covered and my camo is right. What the hell lol any pointers or great public places to go. Idk what to do at this point other than keep trying. Please help someone lol

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: not haveing any luck.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »

1. Your scent is only coverred if you are down wind of a coyote.  I will call down wind only if I can see a coyote aproaching befor he can get in my scent cone.  There isn't anything that can fool a coyotes nose.

2.  Coyotes are hard to call out of cover into the open.  Try and set up so you can see a coyote before he has to leave the cover.

3.  Watch your approach to a stand you don't want to spook one before you even get started.

4.  Keep trying if you do succeed remmber everything that you did on that stand and try and replicate it elsewhere and then start experimenting.

Good luck

AWS
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline stumprat

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:36:47 PM »
If you are seeing sign. Then it sounds like you are in the right area.
Sometimes on the west side. You just have to get in the brush with them. It will cost you long range visibility. But wait till you get one up close and personal. It makes it all worth it.
Another thing to remember. Just because you are seeing sign in an area. Doesn't always mean that they are denned up close by. Coyotes can cover alot of ground between denning and hunting areas.

Another thing to try: Just because you have an E-call doesn't mean that you HAVE to put it out 50 yards from you. In open ground I hand call alot, to keep from getting busted placing the call. In tight brush I use my E-call to bring the Coyote/or cat where I can see them, and keep my movement to a minimum.

Hope this helps.

Offline FALFire

• Crazy Old Man with a Gun!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
I lived on the west side for 27 years and hunted all over the area for deer and elk. Most coyotes I saw in all of those years was just a flash through the brush, it's tough to see them and even harder to call them. I began hunting the east side, Moses Lake, Vantage, Royal City area and my numbers went up, way up.

Now I live in Eastern WA and seem to see coyotes everywhere I go. Just today we counted 18 dogs and there is a lot more out there. I'll be trying to head out again tomorrow if I can get my sore butt out of bed.

Hunting the west side requires a lot of patience and determination. Don't give up, watch along the fence lines, coyotes will tend to travel along fence lines and will not readily cross wide open pasture areas especially if they have been shot at quite a bit. Get yourself a decoy like the MOJO Critter and set it out about 20 feet from the edge of a fence corner in a pasture where you can see from one advantage point. Stay away from heavily traveled roads. Don't rely on scent free clothing, nothing can fool a coyotes sniffer, and watch your movement. Movement alone is one of the single worst things you can do after the calling starts. Try starting your set off with a couple of good long howls and since you are using an E-Caller start off with it on very low volume about 3-4 minutes after your howls. As the time goes on turn up the volume a little and then close to full volume for a maybe 10 seconds then back down to soft volume. You don't want your dying rabbit blues to sound like it's coming from an 800 pound rabbit.

If you can do it, try to get into one of Brian Wise' (Wise Old Yote) calling seminars, he offers a lot of very good info that may help get you started in the right direction.

Just don't give up, the time spent in the field will teach you many things and when you make it to the east side you may just be amazed that all the things you were doing and not seeing any dogs will have them jumping in your lap over here.

Good luck and remember, we are only pros in our own mind  :chuckle:
Checkin' wind and makin' smoke.
That's how I roll...

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:29:45 PM »
Elevation and sight corridor.
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline drysideshooter

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:25:36 AM »
Some times the dogs just aren't there, or aren't hungry enough to come in to the sound of an easy meal.  Years from now you'll probably have dry spells. It's easier to understand and explain after you've actually had some success calling though, so I can appreciate where you are at.

When you can, try to scout areas before you actually hunt them.  Look for well worn trails and sign, try to figure out the travel habits of the animals.  Like Jerry said, look for a stand location where you can have an elevation advantage and see the likely approach avenues. Once you've placed your e-caller, or sat down to use mouth calls, just set there for a bit and survey the area really well to try to figure out where an animal could surprise you, and to become familiar with rocks and bushes.  Be sure to set in front of something like a bush, not behind it. It will help break up your outline, and you'll be able to see better.  Set really still, scan the area by very slowly moving your head, no sudden movements.  If you end up with crows or magpies flying really low over you in response to your call, and you don't spook them, it's a good sign.  It also makes a scene look more natural to a coyote.  Be on the lookout for magpies coming in. Some times they are following a coyote, looking to maybe clean up whater the coyote is going after. If they are in a group circling you, from my experience there usually isn't a coyote really close by.  If one or two are coming towards you, but landing from time to time, or circling some distance away from you, they could be following a coyote.  Crows are especially sensitive to motion.  If they hang out close to you, chances are you're staying still enough.

As others have said, scent is pretty much impossible to hide from a coyote if they get downwind of you. You can take easy steps to help overcome that though.  I keep my hunting gear (I usually use a sapper type ghillie) in a bag with some sage brush. If I'm using a decoy I will sometimes use a scent (like rabbit on a stick), on the decoy itself. It's my belief that the decoy helps overcome some fear if you do get scented, and helps coyotes drop their guard and get excited in general. Add a little scent to it and I think it helps a bit more.  Realize that most often, if there is wind, a coyote is going to try to get downwind of you and/or your call.  Try to make sure you can see the routes they may likely take to get downwind so you can shoot them before they get there.

Depending on how you've set up, there is a chance that you've had coyotes come in, but they have held back and busted you without you seeing them, and slowly went away.   It's hard to understand how sentive they are to motion.  They are predators that often eat very small rodents, and their vision and hearing are highly developed.   I like a bit of wind because if you set in front of some vegetation that has some motion because of the wind it makes any movement on your part blend in a bit more.

Don't give up. When you've had a successful stand make sure you really take in what the area is like, and what was right about the stand and why it worked.  The learning curve can be really quick.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]