collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New coyote HUnters ((help wanted!!))  (Read 6657 times)

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: New coyote HUnters ((help wanted!!))
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:21 PM »
  ;) your doing sompthing right, thats a 50% call in ratio , thats awsome . Jerry .
Thanks for the encouragement. I watched a few videos/tv shows and I went out 4 or 5 times on my own when I started out and just went to areas I *thought* coyotes would be at and never saw or heard anything. So I got REAL discouraged since I was expecting them to come running after one or two blows on the call!! (then someone on here told me 'its not like the pied piper' or something like that) So I was in for a big surprise when I realized how challenging it would be! Then I went out with PredatorPro (when I got my 1st dog) and also before that to areas where BIGINNER told me about where those guys KNEW there were dogs and that really helped alot - seeing what an experienced hunter did and knowing I was doing the right things, had the right equip, etc. But the area that BIGINNER sent me to was FULL of signs, fresh tracks, scat, howls, etc everywhere - and lots of wind too - but I didnt get anything - so more frustration! But alot time in the field and practice came all in short time and proved very helpful now that I have areas to hunt where I know the coyotes are at. But I'm still learning everytime out of course. I took my 9yo son out Sunday to my Granite Falls *honey* hole and we didnt call one in  - and I know they are there and they are being seen almost daily - but I have gotten one the last 4 times in row out there, so I may be overworking the area, I dont know....

I want to head back over to the east side and get out with PredatorPro again real soon.
I aint superstitious - cuz its bad luck!
Global Warming: The #1 threat to Unicorns!

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 11:24:54 PM »
Thank you Big 10

Ivar , your doing it right , the time in the field . the best teacher is old Wiley coyote .
You have a great passion for this sport , that's what it takes to become a great caller , your well on your way Sir .
One suggestion i forgot to tell you the other day , start keeping a journal( i think i mentioned that i used to do this)  keep track of location , wind , time on stand before and after coyote showed up , how many came to call , moon phase , air temps and time of day, direction coyotes came from up or down wind. at the end of a year look it over you ll find some interesting info .
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
  • Believing is easier than thinking.
    • Ivar's Family Web Pages
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 08:03:37 AM »
Thanks, Jerry, for the encouragement. I am seeing one pattern already. The last two dogs I shot, were standing on a two-track road.  Yesterday's dog Sidewinder and I called in, but didn't see, traveled over 1/4 mile along a (snow covered) dirt road before he ducked into the brush to approach the e-caller location. Neither Sidewinder or I had a view of that route (on pretty flat terrain), or maybe we would have popped him.

It is not like I didn't know that roads are important routes for yotes, but just how important.
Live all you can: It’s a mistake not to.

Offline d-rock

• Tracker
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:22 PM »
Thanks for everyone's  :twocents:

I have been around enough hunters to know there are the Animal Beer drinkin, Road Huntin, sleep in because it's rainin guys out there, and then there are the real hunters that produce AND have a great time. 

Looks like there are enough of those guys on this website that I figured I would ask.

Thanks for the insight and the offer to go out that a couple guys that have offered.  I will be contacting you when I am in your area.  Predator hunting seems like a GREAT way to hone my hunting skills and start knockin them down.

Hunting and fishing season lasts all year.

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 01:46:58 PM »
.. sleep in because it's rainin guys out there, and then there are the real hunters...

You might be looking at the wrong forum.  I don't know any coyote callers, on the east side at least, that call in the rain.   :)

Maybe we are just spoiled.
Ivar

Offline d-rock

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
Looks like Eastern WA here I come!

I guess that leads to a new question, do coyotes move more or less in bad weather like rain and snow?  I've seen that snow in general makes them move due to availability of food, but is it better hunting on nice days or rainy/snowy?

Offline d-rock

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »
Nevermind just saw the other post.  Hate it when that happens.

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:25:45 PM »
Ivar , do you remember the stand where i asked you where you would set up ? remember we didnt set up there ? remember we set up with that road in front of us? I will always do that as long as i am sure my vehicle will not be seen .
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:00:30 PM by Jerry malbeck »
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline ivarhusa

• Ivar Husa
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
Jer, I am catching on!  I've had this concept in my head that I have to "get away" to someplace where a critter won't expect me. Farther away is better. Over thinking.

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Ivar , do you remember the stand where i asked you where you would set up ? remember we didnt set up there ? remember we set up with that road in front of us? I will always do that as long as i am sure my vehicle will not be seen .

I never would have imagined Jerry as a "Road Hunter"  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Now quit giving away that kind of info.  :rolleyes: :chuckle:
[smg id=6490]

Offline Jerry malbeck

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 08:32:26 PM »
Maybe we should get together and write a book Big 10 :chuckle:
I do give away alot of little gems here and there , but i like to see guys like Ivar who have a real passion to learn all he can about calling , this poor guy has the fever BAD  :yike:
Love many
Trust few
Wrong None

Offline Big10gauge

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
I did the same kind of setup today and was thinking about this thread the only difference was there was a old cattle guard across the road. The coyote didn't even slow down or bat a eyelash when he jumped right over it, first time I seen that. He was duped pretty bad. About 40 seconds into the call, and he was taking the corners a full speed.  :chuckle:
[smg id=6490]

Offline trippledigitss

• 1.21 Jigawatts!?!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 02:03:45 PM »
.....He was duped pretty bad. About 40 seconds into the call, and he was taking the corners a full speed.  :chuckle:
HaHaHA! Thats a good one! I'd be thinking I tricked you I tricked you  :IBCOOL:  :chuckle:
I aint superstitious - cuz its bad luck!
Global Warming: The #1 threat to Unicorns!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal