collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Illegal to hunt coyotes at night.  (Read 44937 times)

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
Re: Illegal to hunt coyotes at night.
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:27:44 AM »
Lori,

I still dont see where WAC 232-28-342 say anything about hunting hours.  I guess I dont understand why you are including coyote as a game animal.  That would be a change in the rules that you said you are order not to do.  WAC 232-12-007 does NOT classify coyote as "game" animals therefore an exception in WAC 232-12-289 to include coyote is not necessary for rules governing hunting hours for game animals.  You would actually have to make a rule change to include them as a game animal not just to leave them as it is, unclassified wildlife.  I dont know if this is a personal opinion or the opinion of the WDFW but even if you are going to tell me that night hunting coyotes is illegal because there is not exception made in WAC 232-12-289 what happens on Feb 1st?  The legal hunting hours only govern game animals from Sept 1st-Jan 31st.  Coyote season is year round so on Feb 1st there are no law saying coyote hunting is illegal at night.  Correct?

Thanks for the fast response
Naithan Kain

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
In the 2010 big game pamphlet the rule is on page 66. I would go by that. Keep it with you while hunting, if a warden questions what you are doing, show him the rule on page 66 that says:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 11:32:39 AM »
In the 2010 big game pamphlet the rule is on page 66. I would go by that. Keep it with you while hunting, if a warden questions what you are doing, show him the rule on page 66 that says:

:yeah: :yeah:
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
It's dumb that it says right in the regulations that you can hunt coyotes at night, yet they tell you different.   :rolleyes:

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 12:08:35 PM »
So In my hunting regs on page 66 under night hunting and hound hunting during deer and elk hunting seasons it states:

Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and racoon seasons, EXCEPT that it is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night or wild animals with dogs(hounds) during the months of september, october, or november in any area open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season. the use of hounds to hunt black bear, cougar, bobcat, or coyote is prohibited year round except durion commission authorized hunts.

So they need to get there story straight. I clearly said coyotes in that and doesnt say its illegal.

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 12:15:18 PM »
So In my hunting regs on page 66 under night hunting and hound hunting during deer and elk hunting seasons it states:

Bobcat, raccoon, and coyote may be hunted at night during established bobcat and racoon seasons, EXCEPT that it is unlawful to hunt any wildlife at night or wild animals with dogs(hounds) during the months of september, october, or november in any area open to a centerfire rifle deer or elk season. the use of hounds to hunt black bear, cougar, bobcat, or coyote is prohibited year round except durion commission authorized hunts.

So they need to get there story straight. I clearly said coyotes in that and doesnt say its illegal.

It says its legal to hunt them at night but then they tell you its illegal and the next breath she says they cant make any rule changes.   :chuckle: All this and all I wanted to know was whether I had to wait until Dec 1st to start night hunting.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 12:18:19 PM »
I think you would have been better off to have never asked the question. The regulations clearly state that night hunting for coyotes is legal. There's no way anybody can argue otherwise, from the rule on page 66 that says "COYOTE MAY BE HUNTED AT NIGHT."

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 12:21:49 PM »
I think you would have been better off to have never asked the question. The regulations clearly state that night hunting for coyotes is legal. There's no way anybody can argue otherwise, from the rule on page 66 that says "COYOTE MAY BE HUNTED AT NIGHT."

Yes but it also say that you cannot hunt them at night during Sept Oct and Nov in areas that are open to center fire rifle deer and elk.  My question was now that those season are closed do I still have to wait until Dec 1st.  I wasnt asking if it was legal to hunt at night, just when I could start.  You cant blame me for wanting to clarify the regs...can you?

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 12:25:30 PM »
No don't blame you for that. As you said, the the Battleground GMU should be open for night hunting even in Sept, Oct, and Nov. But now Lori is saying don't do it at all! ???    :bash:

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 12:30:59 PM »
So now what about outside of bobcat/raccoon season? (Sept 1 to Mar 15) It almost sounds like night hunting for coyotes is only legal during that season, but I don't think that's the case, correct?

Offline JackOfAllTrades

• Rasbo said I Ain't Right.
  • Old Salt
  • Μολὼν λαβέ
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 12:39:35 PM »
My question was now that those season are closed do I still have to wait until Dec 1st.

I think that's pretty much in black and white.. Yes you can hunt there if the area is not open to modern firearm hunting of big game.

You need to take into account, permit hunters for the area you're planning on hunting yotes at night.  If it is open in any way to a person with a legal modern firearm tag for deer or elk, then you need to wait.  That may include tribal hunters with rights to public land too.  :dunno:

-Steve
The NRA says I'm a Master!
Colt's, Ruger's, Dan Wesson, & Kimber are my friends!
Proud to be a U.S. Navy Veteran.

If you never follow your dreams, you'll never go anywhere.

Critical thinking keeps people from freaking the hell out every time some half baked blogger forgets his meds. Unlike some of you, I do not have TawkethOutOfAnus© syndrome.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 12:43:34 PM »
How would a guy possibly know if tribal hunters might be hunting the area?  I hope WDFW doesn't think about that........don't give them any ideas. :o
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
Many areas have rifle special permits going to the end of January, or in some cases I believe even into March.   :yike:

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 12:53:20 PM »
My question was now that those season are closed do I still have to wait until Dec 1st.

I think that's pretty much in black and white.. Yes you can hunt there if the area is not open to modern firearm hunting of big game.

You need to take into account, permit hunters for the area you're planning on hunting yotes at night.  If it is open in any way to a person with a legal modern firearm tag for deer or elk, then you need to wait.  That may include tribal hunters with rights to public land too.  :dunno:

-Steve

There have been many discussions where there is confusion on when we can start night/hound hunting so I dont know if its that black and white.  Some say you can start as soon as rifle season is over others say you have to wait until Dec.  Thats all I was trying to get clarification on.  As far special permits and tribal hunters that is a whole other confusing matter.  Maybe we should just delete this thread so the rest of you can pretend you never heard anything like this and keep on hunting according to the regs as written.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 01:00:10 PM by Kain »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »
Kain someone has to  be the Guinna pig? Sometimes... Many times it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.... If you go by what is in the regs and carry it with you, how can they fine you for that? and if they do do you think it would really hold up in court? They print the damn thing to "educate hunters" of the rules and regs, so if they cannot get their story straight then maybe we need a  give them a foot to straighten it out????  :bash:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw