collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Antelope ?  (Read 14174 times)

Offline Tilley Rd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Wyoming Antelope ?
« on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:32 AM »
We want to go Antelope hunting in Wyoming next year.

It's been 25 years since we last went and the areas we went are now tough draw areas

Wondering if anyone here with first hand experience is willing to share some ideas on easy draw areas we might go

Offline BLKBEARKLR

• Frontiersman
  • Taxidermist
Re: Wyoming Antelope ?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:17:28 AM »
I went for the first time this year, all on public land, between two of us we took 10 lopes in 3 days.

The easy to draw areas have a ton of private land, the best thing I can tell you is look at the easier to draw areas and get a map out and start researching it. Also if you know what area you want to put in for if you contact Wyoming fish and game they will give you a list of all the big land owners in that area with their phone numbers and you can call and talk with them.

Joe
22 years 3 months and 4 days, happily retired from the U.S Army.

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
I went for the first time this year, all on public land, between two of us we took 10 lopes in 3 days.

The easy to draw areas have a ton of private land, the best thing I can tell you is look at the easier to draw areas and get a map out and start researching it. Also if you know what area you want to put in for if you contact Wyoming fish and game they will give you a list of all the big land owners in that area with their phone numbers and you can call and talk with them.

Joe
                                                   :yeah:
Also the local Chamber of Commerce can help with info. We also called the local wardens & biologosts. I did it my first hunt there (DIY) this year and between 4 guys we took home 13 speed goats. All public land. We had 0 points and drew the tags as a group.
Good luck, we are going to put in again for next year.
 :tup:

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »

Joe

You can also look at there hunter management areas you just print the permission slip off there website and also check out access yes there walk in areas were you do not have to obtain permission to hunt the land just be respectful of it  :twocents:
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline BoomWhop

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
I am planning a Wyoming Hunt in 2012,  thinking of 2 weeks mule Deer for sure but also looking at Speed Goat.  How did you get 10 in 2 days.  Are you allowed more than 1 buck a season?
If your gonna be Dumb you better be Tough

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
1 buck and 4 does each.

You can buy a second buck tag at full price if you would like, but i don't know what the limit is for buck tags but the doe tags are 4 pere person.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline carver52

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 06:20:10 PM »
You can consider just getting land owner lists from the f&g offices at the various region centers or chambers of commerce and contact several ranchers.  Set up a list of ?'s and talk with these folks and get an idea of which place would meet your desires.  some ranchers really need help with their does.  You pay a trespass fee and usually are guarenteed sole use of an area of the ranch for your party.   The region around Gillette is 100% draw rate due to the private ranches.  In other words you are quarenteed a tag or tags.
Good luck with your hunt.

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:34:52 PM »
  So if you draw in a non public area what are the property owwners likely to give permission?

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 07:38:37 PM »
You would most likely have to pay a treespass fee.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:53:15 PM »
Lots of good advice here.  I strongly advise lining up access first, or not putting in for private land units (roughly, 1-30 are all largely private).  I have seen where hunters willing to pay have no place to go - ranchers tend to have an idea of how many buck hunters they will take, and when they fill that they are done.  Some of the best areas are a mix of private and public - easy to draw, and trespass fees tend to be reasonable since there is enough public land to hunt free of charge.  As always, do your homeowrk to have a good hunt.

As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
1 buck and 4 does each.

You can buy a second buck tag at full price if you would like, but i don't know what the limit is for buck tags but the doe tags are 4 pere person.
You can get two "any antelope" tags, and four doe/fawn.

To add to some of the other posts: if you simply want to have fun and get some great meat, buy four surplus doe/fawn licenses.  You can buy them in just about every unit, including units with lots of public land.

If you are looking for a trophy buck, then you need to either draw in a unit with lots of public land, (which means odds are low), or draw in a unit without much public land and pay a trespass fee.  Several units have 100% draw odds for "any antelope" tags, but they're almost exclusively private land units.

My advice: get some BLM maps for areas where you might consider hunting.  The I-90/I-25 corridor from Sheridan to Casper is a good place to start.  Look for public land areas that are accessible from roads.  Match those areas to antelope units.  Check draw odds for the units.  With a bit of homework you'll find some areas with high draw odds and public land.  Apply for an "any antelope" tag, apply for two doe/fawn licenses, and then buy two more doe/fawn licenses from the surplus pool.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 07:30:59 AM »
I and my family have hunted pronghorn in Wyoming periodically since 1977. The most important thing you can do is find a place to hunt with animals. The people in the stores, Dept of Wildlife are very friendly. The land owners as a rule are jerks unlike anything I have ever seen in Washington.

We hunt public land, buy land status maps before we hunt. We know where we are. The ranchers will try to tell you you are on their property, try to kick you off until you back up where you are with maps. We have had: ranchers drive up and down the road to scare the animals off the school section so we couldn't hunt them, send her grandson out on a four wheeler to scare them off, My brother-in-law, sick from diabetes, shot a doe. The land owner tried to chase the wounded doe with the 4 X 4  onto their property so they could charge a fee.Talked to people who had paid tresspass fees and found they were assigned to a school section to hunt (public land). Had shots fired over our heads.

The problem seems to be that the ranchers lease grazing rights on public land. That does NOT give them controll of hunting or tresspass rights. We have found a area of about 7 sections of federal government land continuous property and occasionally have land owners harass us. They will try to get the land owner portion of the tag for a state refund by many devious ways.

I love the hunting trip and the hunt, never have found even one decent land owner. Probably have been different if I paid to go on a big ranch.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 07:35:53 AM »
I and my family have hunted pronghorn in Wyoming periodically since 1977. The most important thing you can do is find a place to hunt with animals. The people in the stores, Dept of Wildlife are very friendly. The land owners as a rule are jerks unlike anything I have ever seen in Washington.

We hunt public land, buy land status maps before we hunt. We know where we are. The ranchers will try to tell you you are on their property, try to kick you off until you back up where you are with maps. We have had: ranchers drive up and down the road to scare the animals off the school section so we couldn't hunt them, send her grandson out on a four wheeler to scare them off, My brother-in-law, sick from diabetes, shot a doe. The land owner tried to chase the wounded doe with the 4 X 4  onto their property so they could charge a fee.Talked to people who had paid tresspass fees and found they were assigned to a school section to hunt (public land). Had shots fired over our heads.

The problem seems to be that the ranchers lease grazing rights on public land. That does NOT give them controll of hunting or tresspass rights. We have found a area of about 7 sections of federal government land continuous property and occasionally have land owners harass us. They will try to get the land owner portion of the tag for a state refund by many devious ways.

I love the hunting trip and the hunt, never have found even one decent land owner. Probably have been different if I paid to go on a big ranch.

All we got was people waving and smiling. We didn't get any attitude from anybody.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »
All we got was people waving and smiling. We didn't get any attitude from anybody.

Wow!  Should have called the Wyoming Department of Fish and Game and reported them...  Total opposite for me... Every land owner we met were the friendliest people anywhere.  Heck they even told me where bigger animals were seen that morning.  Heck when I lived there back in the late 80's always tried to get back there, due how freaking friendly all the people are there.  You must have had some really bad apples previous to your time there to cause that kind of ruckus.... 

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 10:39:19 AM »
If we don't deer hunt colorado next year my son Cody he will be 12 in August and i will be hunting speed goats in wyoming. If anybody needs a tag along I will share expenses.
We have never hunted out of state  and this would be a great expierence for Cody. He shoots a .270 and is good to 200 yards right now.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 03:52:11 PM »
  I havnt had a chance to do alot of research yet but on average how long are the antelope seasons?

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
  I havnt had a chance to do alot of research yet but on average how long are the antelope seasons?

Most of them are a month or more.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 05:44:50 PM »
Bob is the man to contact if you want to know about Antelope
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2010, 08:21:55 PM »

Here's a shot in the dark - do you hunt west of I-25, getting off the Interstate at the Kaycee exit?
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
Sled, the tentative full price antelope seasons can be viewed here: http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/11appbooklet/11NR24.pdf

The tentative reduced price doe/fawn antelope seasons are different and can be viewed here: http://gf.state.wy.us/downloads/pdf/11appbooklet/11NR25.pdf

Doublelung: you probably all know this; for the others the areas west of Kaycee are in units 21 and 20 (20 is north of 21.)

Here's a high level map showing Kaycee and the surrounding areas land ownership. White areas are private land.  Yellow areas are BLM and can be publicly hunted for the most part.  Blue/teal areas are state land, and can be publicly hunted for the most part.

[smg id=10192]

Offline sled

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »
  Thanks for the links.  but still i just see the opening dates.  No ending dates.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »
Sorry about that Sled! 

Here is a link to the 2010 seasons, and it includes ending dates: http://gf.state.wy.us/admin/regulations/pdf/Ch5_04262010.pdf

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 10:52:38 AM »
Thanks Bob - it was just a guess, that area was a hotspot for landowner-public land hunter confrontations.  In my experience, 90% of Wyoming ranchers are among the finest people you will ever meet.  5% are the meanest, most miserable human beings imaginable!

Offline Hangfire

• Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
Most of the time my family hunts further east that KayCee, the one time we hunted in the KayCee area was the worst. The Game Warden warned us we would have land owner problems and we sure did.

We have finally got a chunk of public land to hunt, and we know where we are. When first establishing a area the local ranchers tried to run us out. We had one come across the sage brush in a jacked up 4 X 4 and jumped out and came up to me and my wife very threateningly saying do you know where you are. I said yes were are on public lands goes from there to over there. He immediately calmed down and said who told you. I said we have land status maps. He drove off. A group of hunters stopped at our camp that night and ask if we had maps. The same person had ran them out. By my maps they were 10 miles in public land.

I imagine if I was paying them to hunt they would be very friendly. I got so I could identify the public land with the grazing rights leased out. It would be grazed down to almost bare dirt.

If I go back I will buy new maps as there is constant land deals being made .

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]