collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Depressing Times....  (Read 9048 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Depressing Times....
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 09:40:45 PM »
i have notched 1 in my first year as a new dad, and hope to notch another 1 or 2 next weekend. i have a 3 day hall pass next weekend in e-wa.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 09:48:38 PM »
man you guys are all makin me feel really lucky right now that I don't have any kids, and that I have a girlfriend that comes out and shoots with me and loves to shed hunt so she can make house decorations!  couldn't ask for more!!

As for time out this year though, I have only spent maybe 2 days in the outdoors because of school and work... but atleast I shoot my bow everyday or so!! so I am not the best example of gettin out there! haha

sisu

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2008, 05:35:14 AM »
I was doing well with the hunting and fishing until the fuel prices did me in. I am currently checking the auto lists for an older used Suzuki Samurai. From what I hear good milage plus 4x4.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 05:56:59 AM »
Come on guys, you can get out with the kids really easy! Most everything I do in the great outdoors can also involve kids! You just have to tweak the way you do it.

Kids can completely revive why you hunt. If you used to love to get out and enjoy the woods, make sure your kids see and know why! So far my two seem to want to go and try just about anything in the woods I suggest. It is a bit expensive outfitting them....but I make sure to make gear purchases an all year process, involving birthdays, xmas etc...

I moved our wedding to avoid hunting season. We decided what time of year to have our kids, to avoid the hunt. As stated before, nothing worse than being that dad in elk camp, when your five year old is having their birthday at home...  Before we married, I made it very apparent that this (hunting and fishing) is what I do. Not necessarily a "my way or the highway", but rather an understanding that this is my hobby, and I am not happy without it.

What also works for me is to make sure to do some planning on a yearly calendar for myself and my wife to see. Lay out what you intend to do...on what weekends....this seems to help to get me out of the house, a good plan...

All you old retired wheezers have no excuses for not being out in the woods!!! :chuckle:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Slenk

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 06:46:34 AM »
   "All you old retired wheezers have no excuses for not being out in the woods!!!"

Iceman
Ya we do when you live on s/s it's called gas,gas ,gas.  :hello:
Slenk

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 07:39:05 AM »
I agree with Iceman here that we really need to involve the kids in our adventures and for the most part I do that in between the flu, ear infections, soccer practice, music lessons, T-ball, school, homework, WASL studies, Dr appts, sleep overs, recital practice, swimming lessons, and a wife that thinks the outdoors is the space between the car door and the mall door !! Yep I do get out there but far less then I used to that is for sure.

glad I'm not alone here. i wouldn't trade my new little one for the world...

Ain't that the truth, given a choice (kids or the great outdoors) I would take the kids anyday !!!

Slenk about sums it up for me, I'm not on SS yet but VA disability is still fixed income and the cost of diesel is a huge factor in weather or not I get to go. Already had to give up my boat so no halibut fishing for me so hopefully I can save the money I would have used for that to finance some days hunting. (Actually I sold the boat and bought a 5ver so we could do more things together.)

I just heard that the CFN diesel price here in town just went to $4.69/gal, thankfully the safeway is only $4.28 but still what a nightmare.........
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 08:02:11 AM »
yes the kids need to be in the mountains to be taught the proper ways of how to use and treat our good mountains. I take my kids on a fairly regular basis. The best one was to watch them pick huckleberries while I was bear hunting. Then we all proceded to pick enough to make a pie. My daughter who is now 2 did not put one of them in the bag. She *censored* her brains out for two days. :'( Next year we will have to watch her. Anyway back to the point, i am also stoved up with the diesel prices. I have a cheap outlet to fill up at 4.05 but it still cost me 135 to fill er up. Not a pleasent sight for my eyes. So I guess i am starting to save my fuel money for the big ones. Like hauling *censored*ters to the mountains.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:06:35 AM »
Like hauling *censored*ters to the mountains.

You really shouldn't talk about your daughter like that !!!

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 08:29:05 AM »
horses bro. I did not see you laughing so i could not tell if you were joking or not.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2008, 08:38:34 AM »
Yeah I was laughing out loud, (I'm supprised you couldn't hear me) but you mentioned your daughter earlier.

I knew what you meant but thought the way you worded it was funny that's all !!!  

Offline Red Dawg

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2008, 08:42:01 AM »
I figures as much , just wanted to make sure. But i will say in all reality kids are *censored*ters also. they eat and *censored* and laugh and cry, god damn i love em.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
I got out at a decent clip this year, but I must have rescheduled about 15 day trips over the winter.  Between younguns, work, and house projects it sure eats up your time.  I also felt obligated to go bird hunting on my free days, rather than coyote calling, since my dog is getting up there in years.

Jackalope, I killed two yotes this last weekend.  One was an old bitch with most of her teeth worn down.  She weighed in at 35 lbs, and this is with only 3 legs.  To me she was quite a trophy since she is obviously wary to survive on three legs for so long, and to call her out into shooting range.  Anyway, my point is, and this might not bother you, she was pregnant, and looked to probably be dropping her pups this past week.  So you may want to take a shotgun and shovel with you. 

I'll try to get the video up here this week on her.  If I could have seen my LCD screen it would have been better, but the sun was directly on it, so I couldn't zoom in to well.  The other one backdoored me so no video, it was a movig shot at about 9 yards.  Stape if you read this, I was only calling on the weekend, because I was there for a funeral.  This was a memorial hunt of sorts to remember my Dad and his best friend who's service I attended.  I just haven't had a weekend since we talked.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2008, 09:46:16 PM »
Jackalope, I killed two yotes this last weekend.  One was an old bitch with most of her teeth worn down.  She weighed in at 35 lbs, and this is with only 3 legs.  To me she was quite a trophy since she is obviously wary to survive on three legs for so long, and to call her out into shooting range.  Anyway, my point is, and this might not bother you, she was pregnant, and looked to probably be dropping her pups this past week.  So you may want to take a shotgun and shovel with you. 

there will be a shotgun packed along, but it probably won't be used for coyotes, at least not right away anyhoo...
i'll be looking to use it for a longbeard or 2.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline alecvg

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2008, 10:05:03 PM »
kids are amazing, and you can take them out with you!
I would rather be a conservative nut job, than a liberal with no nuts, and no job!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
you can take them out with you eventually, but not when they are 4 months old and it's 30-40 degrees out. we are planning some hikes and just picked up a baby backpack so she can come along. not sure i'm into throwing flyrods with a baby in the driftboat, but maybe, but only if there is no wind. i don't want a fly stuck in my ear, nevermind my baby's ear.  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal