collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: "Hot" tip for Fire Starting  (Read 9339 times)

Offline longstevo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: "Hot" tip for Fire Starting
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:23 PM »
Alright. 

I'm understanding how to spark a fire.  But what happens if you're out in weather like it was this weekend, and EVERYTHING is soaked?  Wood, branches, lichen, twigs...everything? 

I have no problem starting a fire, but sustaining it would be difficult at best, I'd think.
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline GlennGTR

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
There is always dry tinder to be had if you know where to look. Use the force Luke.
You don't need a flatter shooting rifle or a larger caliber.What you need is good field marksmanship. Jeff Cooper.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Be one with nature you will, my young padawaan.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Huntbear

• I am a BAD Kitteh
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Y.A.R. Jester aka Smart Ass
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1236486665
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
Dry tinder and wood can be found if you dig deep enough... like in old stumps, etc...
By my honorable conduct as a hunter let me give a good example and teach new hunters principles of honor, so that each new generation can show respect for their god, other hunters and the animals, and enjoy the dignity of the hunt.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 08:05:45 PM »
Alright. 

I'm understanding how to spark a fire.  But what happens if you're out in weather like it was this weekend, and EVERYTHING is soaked?  Wood, branches, lichen, twigs...everything? 

I have no problem starting a fire, but sustaining it would be difficult at best, I'd think.

Here is a story I wrote years ago on this subject. You just have to keep moving materials into and nearby your fire so as it burns, it is warming, thawing and drying your next fuel.... 

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,16151.0.html
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 08:05:58 PM »
keep your cotton balls in wax paper in a film can or pill bottle. the wax paper is easy to remove and burns like that is its job. there is not much better then a flare for starting a fire, but I will not carry one around due to weight/bulk. I keep a tampon on my quad and sled, I can dip it in the tank and get a fire going via gasoline.

Offline longstevo

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
There is always dry tinder to be had if you know where to look. Use the force Luke.

...you ask the impossible...

lol  :chuckle:
If you don't stand behind the troops, please feel free to stand in front of us.

Offline Todd_ID

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 09:50:06 PM »
So I just tried the cotton ball and Vaseline thing to see how it compared to my current idea.  The cotton ball ignited instantly and burned for 3:10 until it was below a usable flame.  The average flame height was 6" and 1" diameter. 

I use old denture material for fire starting, so I thought I'd burn one to see how it compared to the cotton ball.  The denture was harder to light: needing a direct flame for 2-3 seconds.  It burned with a 8" x 2.5" flame for 8:40 before it could be considered useless (less than 2" flame).  Talk to your dentist about where to get the denture material; a buddy gave me some chuncks that he got from his dentist.  There's extra material every time they pour a mold to make a set of dentures.  It weighs basically nothing and should be free.  Each piece is around 3" diameter and .5" thick.  It's hard plastic, so moisture is not a concern.

As good as the denture material did, I still made 4 bags of the cotton balls for my friends.  I'll carry some cotton balls to get the dentures burning as I think I'll be able to get the cotton ball to burn with the magnesium stick but not the denture.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 10:30:07 PM »
Fuzz sticks.   Take a branch and cut into it with your knife, you have a good one right? Cut into it and flip up the cuts like flaps. Even if it's rain soaked you can expose dry wood within. You're also exposing more surface area for moisture to escape from if it's really wet.

Offline LoveofGame

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 11:13:37 PM »
After reading all the posts, I had to post another idea....

animal hair... most people own an animal, right?
a candle.... unscented or scented, it doesn't really matter
and an egg carton - don't use the Styrofoam kind

Once you have your supplies, put the animal hair in the carton, pour candle wax over the hair, and then cut out each egg holder... now you'll have 12 fire starters, which can be used on a raining day or a dry day. You can easily take these with you because they're small in size.

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »
Hand sanitizer is also a great fire starter and also a first aid antiseptic but it will sting a bit !! Comes in small bottles and lights really fast too !! I keep some twigs (actually I cut some 1/4" dowels into 6' lengths) and drier lint vacuum packed in a tight bundle. The dowels can be used for tent stakes if needed too !!  ;)
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Wild Bill

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 07:01:48 AM »
Hand sanitizer is also a great fire starter and also a first aid antiseptic but it will sting a bit !! Comes in small bottles and lights really fast too !! I keep some twigs (actually I cut some 1/4" dowels into 6' lengths) and drier lint vacuum packed in a tight bundle. The dowels can be used for tent stakes if needed too !!  ;)

Works great unless its sub zero out :o The stuff dont freeze... Back when I was a Survival Instructor for the USAF we used to get students with frost nip and even frost bite because of this stuff.......
Dry wood? If you can find a hemlock the needle thin bows at the base could withstand a monsoon before getting moisture... If not, breack some quarter size and smaller fir, pine etc... and split with your knife...

Offline spikehunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 07:17:20 AM »
can't beat a flare it's like a torch for 15 min. will dry the wood then ignite it 2 :)

Offline MikeWalking

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Patches Pal
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 08:57:17 AM »
animal hair?   stinkystinkystinky

Dryer Lint. clean the lint filter out.. ;)

Offline Hornseeker

• Frontiersman
    • Sapphire Traditional Archery
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
I can get Fuse's Doug...am good buds with some of the fire guys here! I think I'll throw one in...

As for dry wood, like was mentioned...you can find it. UNder old dead logs, under super thick trees. The best is the dead branches near the base of big live treess....they may be wet on teh outside, but are pretty darn dry and quick to dry out near the fire you get started.
Chuck Norris puts the "Laughter" in "Manslaughter"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal