collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Winston Creek Hunting Incident 12-3-2010  (Read 67735 times)

Offline MLhunter1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: Winston Creek Hunting Incident 12-3-2010
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
You can't block a road and expect people not to get pissed.  I don't know that road system but unless it was a dead end that was near I would go around a rig in the road too.  But even if the road ended a couple hundered yds down you can't expect everyone up there to know that.  Guy had balls to draw back, no different than aiming a firearm at you.  You did no wrong but I would have split before the situation reached that level myself. 

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2010, 04:24:08 PM »
This is called Assault 1.
Regardless if he didn't launch an arrow at your vehicle. The intent was there. If you point a deadly weapon at someone, it's with the intent to kill or injure. With today's high powered bows, I could see an arrow going through a windshield. You made the right decision by driving away. The self defense laws are so inconsistent in this state, I'm not willing to take a chance if I have the ability to escape. I've seen so many cases where you could shot them and not get prosecuted, but seen others where they have. It's about the ability to escape and your life being threatened. Do not post any information or pictures on this or it will go down the toilet.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 04:26:22 PM »
Why wouldn't you have waited by the gate for the sheriff to arrive so it could have been dealt with then and there? Call up and say what happened and your life was threatened. A photo of a truck, three guys against the word of one, days later... unfortunately I bet nothing is going to happen.

:yeah:

Exactly what I was going to post, but got done before I could.  Nobody points a weapon at me and goes home for dinner without the cops talking to them first!  Hope they get what they deserve.

BTW blocking roads is BS, shou;ld have pushed the truck into the ditch before driving by....

Offline sportsman002001

• Hunter
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
Quote from: Tony 270 on Today at 04:15:32 PM
Why wouldn't you have waited by the gate for the sheriff to arrive so it could have been dealt with then and there? Call up and say what happened and your life was threatened. A photo of a truck, three guys against the word of one, days later... unfortunately I bet nothing is going to happen.

Exactly what I was going to post, but got done before I could.  Nobody points a weapon at me and goes home for dinner without the cops talking to them first!  Hope they get what they deserve.

BTW blocking roads is BS, shou;ld have pushed the truck into the ditch before driving by....

I just wanted to get out of there and back to camp. Once at camp I made the phone call but Cowlitz County dispatched stated that they were extremely busy that night and it could take 2-3 hours before a deputy could contact me. I was contacted by the deputy but i won't go into details about what he had said. I just have to wait a see where this all ends up now. I do know there are some pretty serious charges on the table.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »
Glad you got out ok. but was it a dead end road? From my perspective it seems like one dick move lead to another. but they took it too far. but this whole thing still seems avoidable though. If they parked that far back most times it is so they dont spook the elk. so what good would come from driving on top of them and spooking them off so nobody has a chance?  :dunno:
Dilligaf

Offline gotshot

• Longhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:14 PM »
Blocking roads is BS. I can see it if you are real close to the dead end otherwise get out of the way. If you pull that and get caught on Hancock property Clyde will pull off your sticker and pull your permit.
IBEW 76 JW

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 05:11:44 PM »
This has been a hot button for a lot of folks for a long time.  People often block roads prior to daylight or when they are trying to hunt right off the road. 

I drove around several vehicles this season not knowing the road ended or why the vehicle was parked half on the road and half off..  I also drove around several that were blocking main roads.   There were even an occassion where there were people stationed at the rig.  I asked what was going on and he said that his partner just shot a moose and were giving it some time to die.  I felt that it was most admirable and I waited along with them for 15 minutes or more and then helped them search for it.

I don't agree with blocking roads, but everyone seems to operate under a different code of ethics and moral decision making.  So when something is unusual (vehicle blocking road) then expect something unusual on the other end. 

I am glad that you weren't hurt.  Should it come out that you had a sidearm to protect yourself with, but you chose better than using it, I would think it would come out in your favor. 

Online rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:05 PM »
I was thinking that if someone pulled that on me, they might not make it out until well after dark.  Four flat tires and an empty gas tank...

:yeah:    maybe push it off a hill

Tony 270

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:06 PM »
^^ at least you wouldn't slash their spare tire  :chuckle:

Would suck if that truck wasn't theirs though, just a coincidence.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 05:26:06 PM »
I was thinking that if someone pulled that on me, they might not make it out until well after dark.  Four flat tires and an empty gas tank...

It almost seems like it comes down to knowing the area. Seems like most who complain are not local to the areas they are complaining about. Not knowing whats at the other end. Im not a fan of blocked roads. but if the road is in a good area. and is not needed to access anything why drive around? I had an incident in MF season. I parked half off the road to a landing. My truck was in site and there were elk in the clearcut. Hence why i WALKED up. a gentleman and his wife and kid driving a diesel dually decided to go around my truck through the ditch and make as much noise as possible. While seeing me in plain daylight as i was 75yards away. they drove to the top as i watched the elk bust into the timber. they reached the top rolled down their window to ask "see anything?" it took everything in my power to not rip the son of a B**ch out of his truck and roll him down the ridge after the elk.
 Blocking mainlines is stupid and should not be done. but parking where you alert others to someone hunting in an area and avoiding driving in and alerting game makes sense on timber company lands. Common sense would state that if you know its a dead end and someone is already there let them be. and if you dont know assume it is. thats on you for not scouting and knowing the area your hunting. If its a mainline or your only way out be my guest to go around. and if your mad you see a rig where you wanted to hunt. Try waking up earlier.  :twocents:
Dilligaf

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
Glad you got out ok. but was it a dead end road? From my perspective it seems like one dick move lead to another. but they took it too far. but this whole thing still seems avoidable though. If they parked that far back most times it is so they dont spook the elk. so what good would come from driving on top of them and spooking them off so nobody has a chance?  :dunno:

:yeah:
I have to agree with Little John also  :bdid:

You did the rigth thing, with getting the hell out of there and not escalating the situation, but you made your self one of them by going around  the truck to get to the elk that they were all ready stalking up to.
And the part that makes it so bad, is you knew it was a dead end road and elk were there, but could not let some one else got there befpre you  :bdid:

Not trying to bust your balls, but to me that is just as bad as going around there vehicle  :bash:

I do hope that those *censored*s get the book thrown at them for threatening you life  >:( >:( >:( >:(
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline Angus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
I would be interested in hearing the other side of the story, wouldn't be suprised if we do before this is all said and done! :twocents:

Offline salmonslayer1

• Tracker
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 05:46:24 PM »
theres no rules anymore everyone has to get theres f everyone else.i was there Fri, sat, sun hunting and theres very few guys who even bother waving.its a joke i will say some guys are courteous.i personally turn around if i see guys walking a dead end road.or if theres a rig parked at a road that ends.they were there first let em have it.theres plenty of area to look at.i have a group of buddies who hunted hard in the brush stayed in the brush and seen no one saw tons elk didn't kill but also very Conservative shooters.they only take the shot.why cant we all just get along and treat each other with respect and use some edict.me Ive killed some animals iv also ate alot of tags in state and out. its all about the hunt for me the friends and family gettin the kids their first animals the jokes. :twocents:if you hunted the 1100 it was a zoo this weekend drove through twice reminded me of Vail on opening of late buck. :)

Offline FREDIN

• Pilgrim
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »
That sucks that happend but u didn't know if maybe they had seen something and were going after it and didn't have time to park off the road. It sucks they were back there before the sign was turned but i can see why they would b upset. It still doesn't make it right to draw on someone. I think u handled it well if someone pointed a weapon at me i don't know what i would do i to Carry a side arm when I'm bow hunting for that reason if someone points a weapon at you you would have to assume they intend to use it that being said you should protect your self if they aren't going to use it then they shouldn't have pointed it at u.  If they might have been fire fighters just makes me even more upset i would post the pics of there truck as soon as u can so the rest of us know who these idiots r.  

Offline BAR C3

• Scout
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2010, 06:04:48 PM »
If it's 4:00 PM, you only have minutes to hunt. The road was blocked and you saw there were elk up ahead. You turn around and chalk it up. They got there first and obviously saw what you saw.
Doesn't make it right by blocking the road, but with minutes left in daylight, not a that big of a deal at that point.
As far as the rest of it, I put my  :twocents:. Could have all been avoided though. I don't know the area so it's hard to picture the scenario. If I was on elk right at dusk making a hunt and someone drove up and ruined my hunt, I would be pist. I've gotten to an area late and left the guys alone. After they shot a bull, they put me back on them to get a shot at one.
We have to share the woods and try and make it work for everyone.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]