collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd Annual Hohenfels German American Friendship Hunt 2010  (Read 16923 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
Re: 2nd Annual Hohenfels German American Friendship Hunt 2010
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 12:15:41 PM »
Back in the seat for the last couple hours of the hunt about 15 minutes 1230, and i hear a noise( other than the occasionalshot) its almost heavy breathing, or maybe the wind which had started to pick up. i looked to my left trying to peg it and a nice pige broke free from the thicket where the pigs had entered heading revers on their same cut trail. I was much smoother on my shot this time even though i was pretty sure he was moving faster. I had ranged it at 104 meters while tracking. I got him in the scope and he looked like a good male boar. followed him for a second and squeezed one off. He immediately took a tumble, stood up spun in a small circle at which point i had already jacked  a shell and had the cross hairs on him again(pigs dont like to lay down and die). His ass end hit the ground first  then he flopped over and began to kick and sputter away writing his last will and testament in the snow.  :yike: :yike: :yike:  :IBCOOL:  I tell ya nothingwarms you up on a cold day like shooting up some game.  :chuckle:
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 12:20:50 PM »
as i sat there for the next 1.5 hours replaying it in my head and sending some boasting text messages to some friends i finally got out of the seat at the end of the hunt 1400.  For the last hour of the hunt the wind had really started to howl and 1-2 foot deep trudging paths through the snow were filling in in 20-30 minutes.

I headed down to the boar to take a looky loo and get some work done.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:47 PM »
Replays in my head pointing out traits of a keiler(male) were confirmed a happy hunter was i. A fairly young boar maybe 45 kilos but very blonde witch is a cool trail many hunters search for.

The shot was behind the right shoulder and out infront of the left. It was about as close to the shoulders as it gets without actually blowing out a shoulder.  The lungs were soup and the heart almost fell out in my hand.   :IBCOOL:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 12:32:03 PM »
after gutting him german style(everything from the toungue to the butthole) i retreated to the road with another hunter to see if the forsters would have a unimog or if we would be draggin him out.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
The forster Called out the tracter to pick up the pig and one of the many blood tracking  dogs to find the wounded pig. After seeing how far the pigs had gotten it appeared likely that i did not hit him at all.  :bash:  After seeing where the dog tracked to it appeared that another guy on my line about 3/4 of a mile down had shot at the same pig, dropped it in its tracks then watched it get up and run off.  :chuckle: he was fairly new to the pig hunting thing(even forgot a knife) and was pretty dissapointed at the end of the night when nothing turned up for him. Tough tough animals. 

Back at the strecke we ended up with about26  animals which was very good since we had the snow and it was hard to get them out of their beds. My keiler ended up being the biggest male of the 12 pigs shot and was only ousted by one female who was a tad bit bigger.

Dr. P. then gave a parting speach along with General Wessel before handing out the Schutzenbruchen(branch given to a successful hunter).  The branch is to be worn on the right side of the hat and shows success in the tradition of the oldest of german hunts where hunting for most was illegal. The branch is broken, not cut and is wiped in the wound of the game taken. All game is placed on right side with heart facing up toward heaven.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 12:49:44 PM »
Once again I am honored and Priveleged to hunt with such fine gentlemen and enjoy the great land that God has placed us in. Every hunt brings me closer to leaving germany and that much sadder. I have met the most amazing people and heard the most amazing stories. I have seen some beautiful sights and been blessed to be able to take part in harvesting the game on another continent. I continue to be amazed by what i see and hear and I can only imagine what is waiting around the corner for me next.

I hope you enjoy my write up as much as I enjoyed experiencing it.

-Josh Nicholson, a washingtonian in germany

Offline Forrestrover

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=560513732
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 01:33:36 PM »
Great pictures and great write-up! I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 01:34:22 PM »
Excellent write up and congrats on a great hunt.  Very cool experience to get to hunt in Germany.  One question, do you get to keep the meat?  
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
Excellent write up and congrats on a great hunt.  Very cool experience to get to hunt in Germany.  One question, do you get to keep the meat?  

weather or not you keep the meat depends on who you are hunting with. on this particular hunt they tend to give away any boar under 20 kilos.  on any other animals the shooter has first option to buy the meat. 

I hunt one area where i get to keep the meet i shoot and i hunt another where i dont. it all depends on who you choose to hunt with. I definately know that i would not have the freezer space for the animals i shoot. heck. i would need 2 chest freezers just to maintain. Shot almost a dozen deer this year a red stag bull and 300+ pounds of pig. 

I take meat when we are running low and the rest is sold to the non hunting people.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
Dude that is so sweet! another great boar :IBCOOL: great write up and thanks for sharing :IBCOOL:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »
Dude that is so sweet! another great boar :IBCOOL: great write up and thanks for sharing :IBCOOL:

i was looking for crowns still. dont tell my wife  ;)

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2010, 03:04:56 PM »
I Got the wife and myself signed up for another hunt in the same area next week. Should be a blast. It's the wife's first drive hunt.  She bet me $100 that she wouldnt have fun.  She said if i win i can't spend the money on jeep stuff  :bash:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2010, 05:16:15 AM »
There might be a slight influx of Guest hits to the website as i have givein out this link to many in the Germanamerican hunting comunity.

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2010, 07:59:18 AM »
When your my age your going to be very happy you didn't waste your time in Germany. I really looked forward to reading this thread. Thanks.

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2010, 08:23:33 AM »
I sooooo look forward to these write-ups and photos.  I think we should take up a collection here at HuntWa and send you hunting every week, with the stipulation you have to report back with photos and write-ups after each hunt!!!   :chuckle:  I spent 5 years in Germany as a kid and then a couple of TDYs, sure would have loved to have participated in one of these hunts, your a very lucky young man!!  Thanks for sharing with us.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]