collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2nd Annual Hohenfels German American Friendship Hunt 2010  (Read 16919 times)

Offline addicted

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
2nd Annual Hohenfels German American Friendship Hunt 2010
« on: December 18, 2010, 01:36:41 AM »
Alright guys, i got in late last night and i'll probably have to spend the day with the wife so i can do the full wright up but i do have a few pics to give you guys a hint of how it went. Weather was tough but we did alright.

"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline chester

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: 2nd Annual Hohenfels German American Friendship Hunt 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 05:26:08 AM »
*censored*,
number 1 your a tease
number 2 your last pic made me hungry   :drool:
Hurry back with story and pics  :P
Dilligaf

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
Formulating. Standby.
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 10:27:18 AM »
Looking forward to pics and story. Many fond memories from hunts when i was stationed in Germany in the 1980's. Always interesting to hunt and fish in other countries/cultures.

waiting.... :rolleyes:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
I headed out the night before for the formal introduction dinner and presentation. The Restaraunt "im vistel" was serving a wild meat menue that was awesome.

After the food the the hunt host Dr.P began a presentation on the game located in the hohenfels training area, the forestry program, as well as how it all correlated with the military training program at hand. It was very interesting and well put together. There were several pictures in a slideshow of the game and vast landscapes located in the hohenfels training area.

During the event we were introduced to General Wessel from the German army who had come to participate in the spirit of our hunt. He was a very nice gentleman who seemed very down to earth for a man of such responsibility.

After the function we drove back to the Gasthaus(family owned restarant/small hotel). During the 15 minute drive we came across a german who was stuck in a snow bank and we pulled him out with my jeep. then about two clicks down the road my buddy slid into a snow bank with his escape. my jeep made the corner just fine and i got to watch the whole thing in my rear view mirror.  :chuckle:

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »
First Morning

We were up at 0550 and eating breakfast provided by the gasthaus. European breakfasts are too bad at all. lots of meats cheeses, breads, cereals, eggs and some sausages.

It was a brisk 16 degrees. My colegue Phil and i were at the Treffpunkt(meeting place) at 0700 to be the first ones on the scene. within a few minutes a forster showed up to prep the fire and a table for the coffee, cakes, and tea.  There was a pretty fresh 4-5 inches of powder over the 6-12 inches of crusty stuff from past snows.

It took a long time for the hunters to file in and eventually we started checking in, having our jagdschein(german hunting license) checked and recieving our paperwork on which forster we would be recieving stand direction from.   Eventually the horn blowers came together and called the hunters to gather and come to order for the introduction by Dr. P who would go over several items about Safety, which animals to shoot, and some very formal "thank you for joining us".

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »
front row from right to left.
Dr P.
JMRC commander
General Wessel
Safety commander

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 11:13:57 AM »
After  a short "whos got 4x4?" meeting  8) i ended up with 3 other hunters riding in my jeep cuz their sissymobiles wouldnt make it.  :chuckle:

We gathered up with our forster and hit the snowy tank trails. Jeep handled like a dream and the forster was just happy to have someone to pull him out if he got stuck.

i was the last one to be dropped off and directed to my hunting seat because i had so many people riding with  me. My seat was in a nice stand of trees with a few shooting lanes.  It was peacefull and quiet.
It was an open seat that put my butt about 5 feet off the ground. 

My section of the woods stayed nice and quiet. I had some birds come by and i wish i had a good camera.

i had a sweet black fox come through a few of my shooting lanes but i couldnt get a picture of him for you guys. I might have been able to pull the trigger if we were aloud to shoot foxes. It is rare to be not alowed to shoot foxes but in this case they are the only thing keeping the mouse population down.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
At 1400 i packed up and met up with the forster who said a small heard of red stag had gone just on the out side of my forest bowl. It was still one of the most relaxing sits i've ever had. watching the snow fall and the birds play with almost no wind. it was great. but back to the streckelegen(big ass animal pile) to see what every one else shot. it took awhile to get all the game in. I helped drag a cow out of the  woods and we ended up with about 35 animals.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »
Very cool, looking forward to the rest of the story.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 11:37:10 AM »
Day two

woke up to about 4-5 inches of fresh snow. Headed for the treffpunkt and was scared for a short time by talk of the hunt being cancelled due to limited access to the more mountainous region we would be hunting today.  After a long meeting of the forsters the hunt was to continue but anyone who was afraid of not being able to make it home or the very real possibility of several inches of snow dropping during the hunt leaving some stranded, would be allowed to leave without any negative feelings.  The local chaplain made a prayer in the month of advent and for the safety of the coming days hunt.

And once more we hit the trails. this time the snow was much deeper as we put on some elevation. several cars were stuck and many people had a long trudge to their stands. Jeep went all the way back and we almost had to pull out a forster who was having some trouble. It was really some beautiful country  in this area close to where i had shot my cow red stag last year.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 11:38:35 AM »
yes the sign over my jeep means no parking  ;)

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Snow was high ankle deep on the highs points and over my knees on the lows. I had trudged about halfway to my seat when i realised i had no orange on  and had to trudge back to my truck. I was definately starting to sweat when i made it to my seat.

I set up with my ansits sack and got out the rangefinder to see what i had to work with and set my boundries. i liked my spot.  A tree line at the base of a hill was about 165-175 meters in front of me and i had a lot of thickets of thorns and hedges to my left which i see as a good wechsal(heavy game crossing point from one area to another)from the hill infront of me accross the vally to the hill behind me.  at 18 degrees with a little wind and some good snow The ansits sack really helps with holding still and staying vigilant.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 11:57:24 AM »
 At about 1120 a fox came by close enough for pics.  It stopped in the perfect spots for some pics and on the 3rd photo i had just snapped like some goober on a backyard safari....... a pig burst through the snow over a hill about 30 yards behind the fox  :yike: the pig was truckin it and about 10 feet later a smaller pig came rolling over the hill. I dropped the camera and made for my rifle quick. i knew they were within my shooting range(200meters, they were half that) and i quickly got the smaller pig in the scope(you always start with the  smallest and work your way up). BOOOM. the pig picked up and sprinted to catch up with the lead. watched them hit a thicket then a clearing then a thicket again. The shot was rushed but it felt good.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »
at noon was a scheduled 15 minute no shooting lunch break for safe gutting, blood trail marking, and lunch ofcourse.  I organised myself really quick with a knife on my belt and headed for the trail i could see where they had crossed and i had shot.  as i got into the bowl where i had shot  the snow became deeper from the wind blow.  I hit their trail and tried to find the point where i  had shot and hopefully an ausschuss(bullet exit/blood spray).  No auschuss but i did find a couple drops of bloods. followed the blood(a drop or two every 10-15 feet) up trail beyond where i could have shot or even seen the pigs. they had been wounded before they even got to me.  :bash:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]