collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NE Washington - whitetail management ideas  (Read 3977 times)

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
NE Washington - whitetail management ideas
« on: December 28, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
The conversation was being debated in another thread about how to improve buck to doe ratio and whitetail populations as a whole.  Lots of good ideas being shared.

Poll started with 6 options - I am willing to add more if you think it is necessary.  I just wanted to see what the consensus came up with.  I have the poll set to run for 90 days, which makes it toward the end of March 2011.  

I forgot predators on the original poll.  added after three votes.

Other thread:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,64676.45.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:06:37 AM by whacker1 »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: NE Washington - whitetail management ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 08:56:29 AM »
Honestly, whitetails snap back so fast compared to muleys.  A good winter or two and the population will be bursting at the seams again. 

Manage predators would be your best bet.  Work on North half treaty rights and you'd improve some as well, though they don't effect whiteys much.

Offline yakimarcher

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 09:04:36 AM »
I hunted unit 101 with my bowhunting mentor, early and late season, for the first 6 years of my hunting career. not one of these hunts did i not get within 20 yards of a doe, in fact if i had been a better game shot back then, and not had been holding out for a buck some of the time i would have filled my tag every year. It's been a few years since i've been up there and my friend has told me that the population is way down because of the wolves. This deeply saddens me. In my opinion with strong predator management and good trophy management of the deer that area could be the greatest hunt in the state.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 09:04:50 AM »
I think it may help to have more than one solution. I picked 4pt restriction, but am not a fan of baiting( doubt that it hurts the population though). I also feel you are still going to need to change the ratios. Oh and talk to Mother Nature about a few mild winters in a row.

Online grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 09:07:01 AM »
i picked 4 point min. i also think there needs to be heavy predator control...
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »
The only choice you have up there that would really improve the overall whitetail deer population and improve the buck to doe ratio is shortening seasons. Another good option without shortening seasons too drastically would be permit only hunting but you don't have that as an option.

When numbers are down, doe harvest should also be completely elminated, in my opinion.

Cougar seasons need to be more liberal as well.

Online grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
i agree with the cycles... whitetails are like rabbits.
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 09:34:32 AM »
I'm not a fan of shorter seasons. I would rather see an antler point restriction for a few years and then reassess its effectiveness. C'mon people, we're just talking about a two-three year trial here.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
If you really want to see numbers jump a combo of predator control (probably would be the most beneficial) shorter seasons, fewer does harvested, antler restrictions and limiting or eliminating baiting.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 10:06:02 AM »
I tried to check two, but it only let me do one, so I checked the 4 point restriction.  I think we could stand to shoot a few more does in our "hot" whitetail areas in this state.
When I was a kid, my stepdad (a Spokane Indian) used to hunt the Spokane Reservation.  Most indians didn't like hunting on the "Rez" because they said there were no deer (ridiculously long seasons-July through Jan I think, and they can shoot anything-bucks, does, fawns, etc...).  My dad used to hunt the more remote parts of it though, and man he killed some monster whitetails.  Not a lot of deer, but the buck to doe ratio was fantastic, especially once you got away from the roads and hung a treestand.
Of course, the predators got the %$# shot out of them on the rez too.  I am sure that had something to do with it as well.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline NWBREW

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:04 AM »
The choices you have provided are good ones but do not stand alone for my thoughts. As was said earlier, whitetails tend to bounce back quickly after a bad winter. I have land in the N.E. corner and have been hunting up there for more then 20 years. As for a 4 pt. restriction....sure, why not. 2 year old bucks can be legal. Increase or decrease the doe permits as needed for certain areas (not all are affected by winter kill as much as others). Baiting.....I could care less if one does it or not. I know a lot of people do it but I believe more do not.

Predators......maybe not too bad yet but you can bet your a$$ it is going to get worse in a hurry over there. If this state doesn't do something fast to address this issue that is taking hold we will see all species of big game decrease....moose, elk, deer and the few bighorn that are over there as well. The moose are taking a good hold over there right now, if the state does nothing about wolves where will the moose bee in 10 years? just my  :twocents:
Just one more day

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 04:25:13 PM »
bumping this one to the top.

I agree that these do not stand alone.  I would have like to pick three and prioritize those three in order of most importance, but the poll was a little easier.

Offline Devinshoe

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 11:26:53 PM »
Stop Poachers or does that go underneath predators ? I think it would be neat to see how the buck to does population would be after a year or two. Because i know in my neck of the woods late buck season means anything goes for some people.  And it would be nice to see the younger deer getting the chance to grow and hopefully it would work for the best.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:33 AM »
I find it amazing that the #1 way for the WDFW to increase deer and elk Numbers is make preditor hunting a priority!   :bash:  It costs them Nearly nothing, Hunters PAY to do it.. Its a win win for the most part.... Maybe thats why they don't want it???
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
all deer tags should be either sex... dunno why some insist on limiting doe harvest.. there isnt a unit in this state thats has to few does and too many bucks.. there isnt a desirable buck to doe ratio anywhere, better in some areas yes.Unless u have a huge ranch and can mange your herd. The doe to buck ratio in the farm land in NE WA is waaay out of whack

Offline jdurham

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 06:28:26 AM »
I picked point restriction but predators is a huge factor too.  I noticed a decline in doe population this year, even worse than last year after two bad winters in a row.  I would assume cats, bears and coyotes are getting them during the fawning season.  This fall a couple friends sat in my barn and counted 35 bucks and only 6 does that came into my minerals.  My game camera only caught one fawn this year!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]