collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Got a Spotted Skunk today also  (Read 8738 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Got a Spotted Skunk today also
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 07:03:34 PM »
Can't believe you guys never saw one here. They are as common as dirt in Western WA. I have 8 this week. Usually catch 60 or 70. They're fairly valuable for taxidermy. You can get $50 for a good one. Fur market for them is maybe $12.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 04:12:28 AM »
Can't believe you guys never saw one here. They are as common as dirt in Western WA. I have 8 this week. Usually catch 60 or 70. They're fairly valuable for taxidermy. You can get $50 for a good one. Fur market for them is maybe $12.
maybe where your at bruce,there has been quite the decline in the strpped and spotted here in my area,heck used to see them all over the place.Im thinking maybe the grinners have something to do with it.There is no shortage of them :dunno:

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »

:yeah:
There is quite a few in this area. Seems like you see them more often this time of year though. I ran one over accidentally in my dads ford ranger a few years back and the truck smelled horrible for about a month. My dad wasnt too happy.  :chuckle:

Offline wingnuts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »
I hear grays harbour has a good population of them.

Offline bullrider97

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:15 PM »
Those are pretty cool looking. Too bad they stink, might make a good house pet.  ;)
There was never a horse that couldn't be rode; there was never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 07:02:17 PM »
They are also known as mountain skunks by the old timers. Since I still call them mountain skunks, I may now be an old timer.
When I trapped in SW Oregon in the 70s, The only place I would catch them was up in the mountains.
The smell is beyond belief!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 07:10:32 PM »
They are also known as mountain skunks by the old timers. Since I still call them mountain skunks, I may now be an old timer.
When I trapped in SW Oregon in the 70s, The only place I would catch them was up in the mountains.
thats where I caught mine 20 miles and and yes they are stinkers..

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:44 PM »
I've seen a few in Sultan before while bear hunting, cool little guys, but yeah stinky *censored*s when frightened!   :chuckle:  I guess they are supposed ot be pretty hard on the bird populations ( raiding their nests and eating there egss and chicks) grouse included  my neighbors dad suggested shooting any I saw but i have yet to do so.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:31:02 PM by dirty24d »
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »
I've seen a few in Sultan before while bear hunting, cool little guys, but yeah stinky *censored*s when frightened!     I guess they are supposed ot be pretty hard on the bird populatinos ( raiding their nests and eating there egss and chicks) grouse included  my neighbors dad suggested shooting any I saw but i have yet to do so.

The easiest way to rid yourself of excess skunks early in the season (though seemingly impossible) is to bait your sets with chicken eggs. Skunks love eggs!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline dirty24d

• Carnivore
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2011, 07:31:52 PM »
Thats good to know i may try that this year.  Thanks Axle
~  ~One of my favorite clothing patterns is camouflage. Because when you're in the woods it makes you blend in. But when you're not it does just the opposite. It's like "hey, there's an *censored*."”

Be come one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

One moment you're flying south for the winter, then - BANG - gravy.

Offline ouchfoss

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 11:00:21 PM »
Those are pretty cool looking. Too bad they stink, might make a good house pet.  ;)

My english teacher in high school told me that back when he was a logger in the 70s he had caught 2 of them and had the scent glands removed and he said they tame up really easy and make awesome pets! That would have been a cool pet to bring to school for show and tell as a kid.  :chuckle:

Offline Kain

• Scalpless
  • Old Salt
  • VantuckyKain
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
FYI Skunks are unclassified wildlife and can be hunted and trapped all year long.  Same with mountain beavers, opossums, coyote, grey and fox squirrels, gophers, moles, porcupines, yellow bellied marmots, voles and shrews.  The nutria is classified as a Prohibited Aquatic Animal Species (WAC 220-12-090). Due to this classification, all live-trapped nutria should be euthanized and not returned to the wild.

You can still only use cage traps.  So if you want to trap year round or have a youth that wants experience in the summer it a great way to spend your time.  Most of these animals it is illegal to relocate them so if your going to trap them you have to dispatch them or let them go where you caught them.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:36:06 PM by Kain »

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 12:14:19 AM »

Smells like money!
Bruce Vandervort

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2011, 08:52:09 PM »
They are pretty cool looking.  I had one as a regular visitor to my elk hunting tent on the OR coast many years ago. He never skunked me and was a lot of fun to watch.  I've skinned a couple if the striped ones and would love to get one of them for the fur collection.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal