collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Change one regulation....  (Read 15338 times)

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Change one regulation....
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 11:18:08 PM »
Sagedawg, It is open for mule deer 3 point min on eastside. There is even a late hunt or two.

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 11:52:39 PM »
I saw Shockey shoot an animal at a distance of 270 or so yards with his muzzleloader recently on TV.  Many guys won't shoot their modern firearm that far, let alone a "primitive" weapon as he likes to say.  I'll leave it at that.

When I use to muzzleload hunt, I didn't like being forced to use iron sites.  I don't have the best eyes so using iron sites past 70 yards gets challenging.  Kind of sounds crazy buy let us mount a scope on that primitive weapon...   :bdid:

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
You need a peep sight then, not a scope. You're kidding when you say scopes should be allowed, aren't you?

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 06:37:24 AM »
You need a peep sight then, not a scope. You're kidding when you say scopes should be allowed, aren't you?

Sounds like it to me. In the army we shot out to 300 yards all the time when qualifying at human torso sized targets with No Scopes. I think that the scope is too much. It's physically possible for humans to identify large game to 300 yards without the aid of scope optics. Those that think it is too hard to see might just have to stalk closer or try another hunting method.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:33:17 AM by Ray(huntwa) »

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 07:13:25 AM »
I like it the way it is... Or maybe a little more restrictive.
In the last few years we have seen an influx of ML hunters in the late season and we are seeing more and more unethical behavior. Most that i have talked to have switched from rifle to ML and it was because the units were to crowded. But from my observations, and that is things i have seen they took a rifle mentality with them to the ML season. shots that are to long, 300 yards with a ML is to long, and statements of if i had a scope i would not have missed. Or kids chasing a herd of cows in the either sex units, shooting untill they see one drop. Not paying attention to blood trails. I would like them to add a unit or 2 to spread us out a little more.
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline groundhog

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:22 AM »
Bobcat,
I didn't realize that jacketed bullets allow for hotter loads. I guess that is why my best load using lead bullets in my traditional is a 110 grains of FF. Any more and the accuracy goes down.
 I can tell you that the bullets my dad uses in Illinois are way more devastating then the lead that I use. He uses jacketed/sabot-ed bullets that are designed for pistols. I don't recall the brand but I could find out if anyone is interested. The velocities are close to the same and the bullets retain weight but open up and really do some damage. All you have to do is look at the two bullets after the fact to see which one would do more damage.

I like the way things are although I would not complain if we went back to more primitive weapons.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 09:45:17 AM »
I would like them to add a unit or 2 to spread us out a little more.

I agree with that statement.  It gets way too crowded with everyone all bunched-up in a few units.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline robodad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • frog4life !!
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
Here is another thing that I would like to see changed, I drew a ML cow permit for the winston last year and it overlapped the general late archery season, I know it may not seem like much of an impact to some of you but being an archery hunter mostly I was kind of bummed when I realized I would be mixed up with the archery folks, yeah I should have realized it when I applied but for one reason or another I didn't. so I think the season overlaps should be discontinued !!
The essense of freedom is the proper limitation of government !!!

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 10:05:40 AM »
I'm betting that the way they would discontinue season overlap is to reduce on season or another. Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it in a way which doesn't benefit you.  :chuckle:

Offline Sagedawg

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:47 AM »
Wastickslinger, I meant to say South of Spokane, its open for 3pt WT,but not muley bucks. What units are you talking about?
'

Sage

Slenk

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »
I think primitive should mean primitive.....I'll save my speech.
Quote from: Ray(huntwa)

link=topic=6613.msg73494#msg73494 date=1209015876
Sometimes I think technology is getting out of hand.....  I think the manufacturers better watch out or we could end up going back to Long bows and Flintlocks. Ya know, that might not be so bad........

We're already there if you ask me. Longbows and flintlocks sound ok to me. Not against other types but they should be lumped in with general season in my book. That includes fancy 209s and compound bows.
Now we talking!
Primitive seasons are primitive not modern tech.
Long Bows and Flintlocks .
Slenk

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »
That includes fancy 209s

Aren't they against the law already?

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 06:31:14 PM »
That includes fancy 209s

Yup.

I think the muzzleloader laws are ok the way they are now.  I wouldn't mind if they made it sidelock only, but I know that won't happen.

The only other thing I think they should change (which I don't even really consider ML law) is the fact that they won't let you use a scoped muzzleloader, jacketed bullets, 209's, etc. during modern firearm season.  I know we already beat that subject to death a while back, but I'm still shocked  :o about the stupid law.

May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:36 PM »
That includes fancy 209s

for ml .but should be ok for modern.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 08:02:37 AM »
That includes fancy 209s

Yup.

I think the muzzleloader laws are ok the way they are now.  I wouldn't mind if they made it sidelock only, but I know that won't happen.

The only other thing I think they should change (which I don't even really consider ML law) is the fact that they won't let you use a scoped muzzleloader, jacketed bullets, 209's, etc. during modern firearm season.  I know we already beat that subject to death a while back, but I'm still shocked  :o about the stupid law.

Why would anyone want to?  I can understand hunting with a traditional ML during modern firearms season but why a tricked out 209 abomination when you could use a scoped shotgun or modern rifle?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:15:58 AM by CP »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal