collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: livestock eating lion  (Read 3877 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
livestock eating lion
« on: April 27, 2008, 07:56:32 PM »
i saw this on another site and the poster gave me the ok to post the story and pictures here. i thought some of you guys might like this story. ben howard road for those that don't know is just outside of monroe, wa just a few miles from my place.
----------
A friend of mine who lives out the Ben Howard Rd near Monroe sent me these photos this week. The short version of the story goes like this:

Last Sunday a neighbor told her that something killed one of her 15 sheep the night before. Neighbor covered it with a tarp and was going to call Fish and Wildlife on Monday. Monday morning neighbor said that something pulled the sheep out from under the tarp and dragged it 100' down the fence line. The sheep was missing it's throat and chest.

Fish and Wildlife was called and within an hour an agent came out with a tracker and his Redbone hounds. One look and they could tell by the way the hounds were behaving that it was a cougar kill. They tracked it down a neighbor's driveway, behind a shed and within 20 feet of the house, then through the back yard and down into a steep ravine in the back yard. About 100 yards from the dead sheep. At that point the hounds were turned loose.

Down in the gully the hounds' baying indicated they'd found the cat. They moved down the gully a ways then stayed in one place. At that point the agent and the tracker went down in, and after a few minutes 2 shots rang out, then the dogs were completely silent. After about 1/2 hour, the agent and tracker came back out and said that the cougar had a radio collar on it. The ranger phoned a state biologist in charge of a cougar study (they catch and collar cougars, then track their wanderings). It was learned that the cougar killed a goat in Duvall 3 weeks prior. They tracked him then, collared him to include him in the study, and released him in North Bend. It took him 3 weeks to find his way to my friend's area- about 25 miles as the crow flies.

The cat turned out to be a 4-1/2 year old male that weighed 160 lbs. Since he'd already killed livestock and been collared and then killed again, he wasn't eligible for another catch and release.

Handsome, healthy cat for sure, certainly big enough to take down whatever he wanted, but about average as far as males go. Likely pushed into the "burbs" by a dominant male.
---------------
here's a couple pics.
thanks itchy dog.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:35:19 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: the demise of a livestock eating lion
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:59:56 PM »
I've spent sometime out BH rd I've seen some Nice bears out there too.
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
Re: livestock eating lion
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
They should have trapped it and turned it loose in Seattle!!!......lol

Offline coastalghost

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »
Great story......good lookin hounds too...
Vegetarians?..Vegetarians are cool.  All I eat are vegetarians....except for the occasional mtn. lion steak.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:45:15 AM »
Good story and pics.  I'm glad you got it on here Jack.  I sort of like Sliders way of thinking.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

I sort of like Sliders way of thinking.

naaah...someone would have caught him and cutt him loose in the woods of monroe.  by the looks of that collar, somebody already tried that once.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Head-shot

• General Underachiever
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »
Nice looking cat, Thanks for the story and pics.
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or destroy it, piss on it and walk away!

Offline bankwalker

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:17:41 PM »

yeah like during a mariners game...well hell seahawks or sonics will do too. anything to get rid of our worthless teams and get some new ones lmfao  :IBCOOL:

Offline SuperDave

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:00:43 AM »
Nice looking cat, great story!  Usually you never hear of them catching the cat, will help on the blacktail population in that area!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 11:42:54 AM »
Not too far from me. The cougars love that Hancock property just south of there. Guess that's one I won't be shooting this year.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline PacificNWhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:07:08 PM »
Cool story, pretty big cat too.

Offline muledude

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 09:34:11 PM »
Great looking cat, Wish the guy had better taste in his hounds..Good thing lion's are easy to tree.. :P :P :P

Offline cascademountainhunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »
man that was one hungary cat

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal