collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Toyota Tundra Timing Belt  (Read 32908 times)

Offline FC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Toyota Tundra (1st Gen) Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:57 PM »
Bean Counter don't be fooled into thinking that dealerships have better techs than the independents, it's often the other way around! I've fixed a lot of cars and trucks that the dealer guys couldn't figure out.  :twocents:

If you have a full 90k service done including spark plugs, diff, t-case and trans fluids etc as well as the timing belt I would expect to pay $1200ish.
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:19 PM »
Bean Counter don't be fooled into thinking that dealerships have better techs than the independents, it's often the other way around! I've fixed a lot of cars and trucks that the dealer guys couldn't figure out.  :twocents:

If you have a full 90k service done including spark plugs, diff, t-case and trans fluids etc as well as the timing belt I would expect to pay $1200ish.

Great post!!
 :rolleyes:
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline FC

• Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 10:57:12 PM »
The reason there are so many Ruger upgrades is because they're necessary.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 06:15:58 AM »

I'm not at 90K, it has 200K  :yike: As I said, high high mileage. It should be on its 2nd belt by now. Some of the fluids I can do myself and others are already done so this is just a belts + pump + tensioners + coolant operation.

The quote at the Stealership ranged from $800 to $1,300, depending upon how much stuff went into it as far as new pulleys, gaskets, etc. I sorta felt like just replacing everything "as long as its open."  Then he countered that some stuff will last the life of the vehicle and is really only cost effective to be replaced if needed. That's where I figured paying someone who sees the part every day might have better judgment. I think the quote at my indie shop was $800-900 to do EVERYTHING.

But yeah, I took a look at the 20 something year old punk techs havin' a smoke around back at Yoda and they didn't look much different than the 20 something year olds at the indie shop.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 07:29:56 AM »
But yeah, I took a look at the 20 something year old punk techs havin' a smoke around back at Yoda and they didn't look much different than the 20 something year olds at the indie shop.

Especially when they're doing timing belts...it's not rocket science after all.

Great post!!

Hug?

No hugs thanks.

Just don't let the indie lure you in with the timing belt for 200 bucks coupon.
 :twocents:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
p.s. those 20 something year old "punks" at the dealership or at the indie have been through more school and more training than most. Don't knock them at either shop.
again...  :twocents:

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 07:49:32 AM »
Didn't mean to generalize, sorry to you mechanics out there.  :)

The tats, smokes, and coarse language didn't exactly project the choir-boy image to me  :hello:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
Didn't mean to generalize, sorry to you mechanics out there.  :)

The tats, smokes, and coarse language didn't exactly project the choir-boy image to me  :hello:

That's because they're not choir boys.
 :)

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2011, 07:52:13 AM »
Just don't let the indie lure you in with the timing belt for 200 bucks coupon.
 :twocents:

Before I approve any repair, I want to know the TTOTD price. Of course, something can be discovered in the middle of the repair. Assuming I smell no  :bs: I'm ok with it.

Offline Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
see RCW 46.71.015 and RCW 46.71.025. A shop is REQUIRED to get authorization for any additions that exceed 10% of the original estimate and are REQUIRED to gain authorization for any repair over $100
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 08:17:30 AM by JIMKD8 »
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »
Great post!!
Hug?
No!... circle jerk :yike:
what the hell happened to this post?  :yike: ....first one to say it, not the pivot man :chuckle:

Bean just make sure they hand you a quote when you find a Toyota tech. and make sure they replace everything.
where you located?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
Some specifics from Alldata...I don't know enough about these things to recommend stuff so I'm reading and passing it on.
 :dunno:

INSPECT IDLER PULLEYS
Visually check the seal portion of the idler pulley for oil leakage. If leakage is found, replace the idler pulley.
Check that the idler pulley turns smoothly. If necessary, replace the idler pulley.

INSPECT TIMING BELT TENSIONER
Visually check the seal portion of the tensioner for oil leakage.
HINT:
If there is only the faintest trace of oil on the seal on the push rod side, the tensioner is all right.
If leakage is found, replace the tensioner.

Hold the tensioner with both hands and push the push rod strongly as shown to check that it doesn't move. If the push rod moves, replace the tensioner

Measure the protrusion of the push rod from the housing end. Protrusion: 10.5 - 11.5 mm (0.413 - 0.453 inch)
If the protrusion is not as specified, replace the tensioner.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 09:16:54 AM »
where you located?

I've moved outta WA, back to the USA. Otherwise, I'd probably patronize one of these great mechanics on the forum here.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2011, 09:22:28 AM »
Bean just make sure they hand you a quote when you find a Toyota tech. and make sure they replace everything.

I guess the best way to 'make sure' they replace everything is to ask for the old parts back in a box.

This indie place is actually a small, regional chain. As I pointed out they seem honest enough. However, they earned a "strike" against them in my book when I asked them to drop my pan and clean the screen, and replace the gasket BEFORE flushing my trannie fluid. They just flushed the trannie fluid  :bash:. When this fact came up with the mechanic, he was at least honest about it, and they didn't charge me for the extra work.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]